1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

another computer hassle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by reddbudd, Aug 15, 2013.

1. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a dummy when it comes to computers. I received a message that I needed an update on flash player that I use to view videos. It was from a service I had dealt with in the past. I downloaded it. But this time they slipped something past me.

I now have something called Search Results on my laptop. It makes itself the default and makes itself the home page. I have switched back and made my old home page my only home page about seven or eight times. It just keeps changing it again. It is just on my laptop. So I googled them and found out they are doing this to a lot of people. I printed off instructions to remove them and it didn't.

The last thing was sent them an e mail on an account I don't use but never closed. I told them I wanted them off my computer and if they didn't get off I would take the battery out of the laptop and use the desktop until I can get a tech to remove it. And if they aren't gone by Monday that's what I'll do.

Since they got into my laptop I keep getting fake messages. Some saying that I have very low disc space left. Others say that the computer is about to crash. All of them have a place to click on offering to fix things. I may be a dummy but I know enough not to click on anything else.

So I hope you folks heed my warning and avoid the hassle I'm going through.

Bud

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Bud, can't you go to the programs menu and un-install it?

Ajax

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Uninstall if possible or do a restore.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

How long ago did this happen?

If not too long ago, and if you don't mind loosing changes between then and now, you can roll the OS back using the system restore function of the laptop - pick a date before the download and restore to that date.

Just do a google search for 'system roll back windows (your OS version)'

You can also use Microsoft Security Essentials (free from Microsoft)

5. reddbudd

No it isn't that easy. Looking them up on google some people tell of the hard time they have had getting rid of it. I tried to follow the steps on an anti malware site. Some of the steps it tells you what to click on. When I try some of the boxes I'm supposed to click on stay paly gray and when I click over and over nothing happens.

When I change back to my old homepage everything seems alright but you never know when it takes over again. Their homepage says Results by Bing. I even deleted Bing and Firefox from the computer and that still didn't get rid of it.
    Bud

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Did you go to Uninstall Programs on your computer? Should only take a few seconds...

You have to watch when you download programs. Uncheck the boxes for new tool bars or different search engines they have checked!

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

System restore. HMB

8. reddbudd

Tried system restore. Didn't work. The problem is still there. The most disturbing thing about this is that so called reputable firms like Bing would lend their name to something like this and other sites would attach things like this to their downloads. Funny they would abet this just to make a buck. As if they aren't making enough already.

I learned a lesson with this experience. Be very careful when downloading anything. Read the fine print. Just because a site is supposedly safe doesn't mean others riding their coattails is.

In the meantime I will use my desktop and the laptop shut dowm. There is nothing on it of mine. I only use it for convenience using the net. On nice days I would rather be on the porch with a cigar and a cold one than inside at the desktop.

Bud

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

redbud,

To remove the software will be difficult - most likely will involve RegEdit, which is NOT for those who are not very comfortable working on computers - one wrong move and the whole OS is shot.

System Restore is your best bet in this situation (try an earlier date). Chances are about 95% that using this will solve the problem.

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Bud,

I wouldn't necessarily blame Bing for this.

Hackers copy web sites, steal e-mail data, etc. then build a product designed to make you THINK you are dealing with a well known entity.

Just look at the 'transfer the funds to us by Western Union' - I think we all know these are now fraudulent.

The trick is to keep an eye on the URL bar at the top of your browser - BE CERTAIN THE ADDRESS EXACTLY MATCHES THE SITE YOU ARE LOOKING AT! Be really careful - I have seen false Microsoft sites listed as www.dxmicrosoft.com/support/downloads/ (I made this up) - but that little bit (the 'dx') makes all the difference. It will send you no where near Microsoft, and there is no telling what it will take you to.

11. reddbudd

I know I'm very limited in my knowledge of computers. That is why I don't have any of my banking or personal information on either comnputer.

As far as far as system restore is concerned I must be in the 5%. I've tried it twice and it didn't help getting rid of it.

Bud

12. missemucho

missemucho Member

Unfortunately, these hackers are well aware of the normal ways of cleaning them off computers. Try www.ccleaner.com ; (free version) it will get rid of a lot of this stuff. Used it to clean up my father-in-laws computer. He thought he had anti-virus but didn't (thank you geek squad!, Ccleaner got off three trojans that he had downloaded. Costs nothing to see if it helps.
    John

13. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Reddbudd

The only way to get the laptop working well again is to have it professionally cleaned or the operating system reloaded depending on what the malware is if identification is possible.

I am retired AF, have a computer shop and have been repairing these since they first hit the market, so it shows my age a little.

Since you have a laptop it could be sent to me, two days later it is back in the mail to you.

I either clean it of malware, optimize the hard drive for speed and physically clean it which cuts down on heat or I format the drive and reload the windows which puts it back to factory. The reload will also require your data to be backed up if need be and I will burn it to a cd for safe keeping.

The only thing with a reload is other programs and loading a printer when you get it back.

I charge $90.00 for the clean or install and normally 20-40 for data backup if needed.

I am located outside of Lake City, Florida so that may determine the turn around time.

I would be happy to be of service. Please PM me if I can help. I would also provide credentials if need be.

Buddy

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

These malware writers add hooks into the registry in many places. System restore won't take care of the problem, it is only a first step. There are edits that need to be done to the registry, and sometimes cleaning these thing up takes several tries, all day, and in depth knowledge, depending on which malware that you have acquired.

Never download on a pop up prompt. Go to the software website by typing in the URL directly and download. Always UNCHECK the add ons, especially any tool bars.

I highly recommend having a professional clean up your machine, especially for someone who admittedly is not a computer geek.