1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another child gets access to an unlocked gun....

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    ....and shoots and nearly kills an armed intruder, protecting his life and the lives of his siblings.

Story here.

The irony is these same cops that are praising this kid for "doing the right thing" would have crucified the parents if the kid had accidentally shot a sibling with an unsecured gun.

But this situation is one where the kids might have been killed if the gun was NOT readily accessible by a kid.

2. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Double edged sword.....every situation has multiple paths to take with very different outcomes. BYG

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I don't believe that it is a double edged sword at all. It is simply a matter of training. If you lock up your guns and make, them "mysterious" to your kids you will only increase their curiosity. You need to familiarize your kids with guns and train them to handle them safely - every time! Let them handle tehm under your supervision but let them know that they are not to touch them without permission. Like any kind of training, this requires a great deal of time and patience but it is the only thing that works. Locking them up will eventually fail when you neglect to do so - even once.

De-mystify guns. Teach gun safety and safe gun handling. It works.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

My uncle used to hide his Argosy and Penthouse under his mattress to hide them from me!

I found them! Look what happened to me!

5. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I totally agree with the previous post about training children and not making guns a mystery to them but I don't care how much training a child has they should never have access to a loaded gun without supervision. By nature children are impulsive and sometimes make bad decisions on a whim and when there are more than one together unsupervised then it's like the stupidity multiplies. This story turned out well and I admire this kid for his bravery and cool thinking but 99 times out of a 100 this does not end well. The anti gunners aren't gonna like this story.

6. warren

warren Member

Good post thanks Brian I put that on my facebook page

warren

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

What would have happened if the gun wasn`t loaded ???? Thank God the 14 year old had the sence to protect his siblings and and he or the father doesn`t get proscecuted .

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Two things here:

1 - A 14 year old is far from a child. My kids started shooting at 8, and guns were never locked up to create temptation. They knew what guns are for, and had no desire to mess around. (they never messed with my power tools or chain saw either, for the same reason.)

14 is old enough to have been hunting for 2 years legally in most states, and every kid should have a hunter safety course iven if they don't hunt.

2 - When I visited my pal in Phoenix, Frank would lock the front door even during the day while we were in the house.

Apologies to WPT, but over half the land area inside the city is a war zone. Just a fact of life in the Valley of the Sun. Locals, don't bother flaming me, I watched the brown wave of destruction advance for 19 years every time I visited.

HM

9. Brian in Oregon

I don't believe age is the criteria to determine if a child is capable or not of handling firearms responsibly. Maturity, attitude and judgement are.

I have known several youngsters that used firearms unsupervised as young as six, and an eight year old who routinely carried a holstered Ruger Bearcat.

On the other hand, my own son was not introduced to firearms until he was 12, and then only under close supervision as I thought he lacked maturity and judgement, having ADHD. (As it turned out, firearms helped him obtain maturity and judgement, and he also had the highest score in his hunter safety class, even beating the adults.)

And, there are adults today who frankly are too immature to own firearms.

So I don't think age should be a factor, though the anti's try to codify it in laws.

10. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Four daughters, all had their first exposure to firearms at age five. One asked to do it at age 4 but I told her she would have to wait till age five. The initial exposure was just the two of us at an indoor range. They got to shot from the prone position, with a .22 bolt action rifle loaded one round at a time.

The eldest took to it like a duck to water and went out with me a number of times. She eventually bought her own shotgun, well I helped a little but the majority of the money was from her birthday, Christmas etc. gifts. It was a youth 20 Ga. Mossberg. She tried a couple of different ones but liked the Mossberg the best. That gun is still in my cabinet and that is almost 20 years later.

the other three tried shooting a couple of times but never had a real big interest. All four did learn gun safety, 10 commandments etc. Recently, in moving some things, I saw that one of the girls had kept her very first target she ever shot stashed away in her "Memories" box. That was 18 or so years ago!

Now, that they are all in their twenties, three of them go out shooting handguns and rifles with me and their boyfriends when they visit me and time allows. One shoots regularly with her BF a lot of their time together. The fourth is out of the country and in a land where to carry pepper spray she had to get a special permit from the Chief of National Police. This same country recently convicted someone of simply having a box of .40 ammo. No gun, just the ammo. She got a two year jail sentence as I recall. Talk about anti-gun!

I had full confidence in all four when they were home and I was not. They knew where the key to the gun cabinet was and could have gotten to a number of guns and ammo for them. They learned early on what was allowed and when and what was not allowed.

So fourteen, in a properly trained and responsible youth is well within my area of acceptable behavior. This young lad sounds like he did what many "roll over and take it" adults would not be willing to do to defend themselves and their family.

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Took my kids out at a young age and with a gallon of milk on a post,,,,showed them what would happen to their siblings if they shot them,,,,,amazing what their little minds can embrace at a young age....

12. Brian in Oregon

bigdogtx, my son saw what a gun would do when I brought home a coyote I hit with a 25-06. Or rather, what was left of it.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Am grateful the outcome favored the good instead of the evil...

14. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I have always let all 3 of my kids shoot and take apart and clean everything that I have ever had. AR-15 hbar, Colt .45, ak-47, smith 17, what ever trap gun flavor of the day it happened to be. They got to shoot whatever I had and knew how to field strip it for cleaning. Took the mystery out of them. Now one probably won't shoot but the other two have and will do so in the future. You go sneaking around hiding things, that's when things go awry. John

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Laws are being made now to "protect" us from ourselves. I was shooting at age 7. Hunting by myself from age 10! Duck hunting on the river in a Jon boat by 11! Outside of the Good Lord,I feared my Dad the Most! Loved him dearly and he was a loving,protecting father and man who would have died in an instant to protect or keep any harm from his family,but, I knew not to cross him! He was a farmer kept a loaded gun in the house (like every other farmer in the area did) and my older sister and I (the ones old enough to climb up to where he kept it) knew darned well not to touch it! Today he same "know it all" liberals who think having an accessible gun is terrible,would not think anything of leaving their car keys laying around! It's not about guns,--it's about awaress,training,and maturity (and that doesn't come at any SET age)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.