1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another bear shooting mishap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

SILVERTON, Ore. – A 20-year-old Marine reservist was fatally shot by a man who mistook him for a bear while on a hunting trip with his grandson, The Oregonian reported Saturday.

Christopher A. Ochoa, 20, was hiking with a friend Friday night near Silver Falls State Park, roughly 60 miles south of Portland, when he was shot by 67-year-old Gene Collier.

Collier was bear hunting with his 12-year-old grandson at the time of the shooting. He told authorities he mistook Ochoa, who was wearing dark clothing, for a bear moving in the brush, The Oregonian said.

Deputies responded to a call for help from Ochoa's friend, but the Marine reservist died at the scene, the paper said.

Ochoa, who was visiting the area from French Camp, Calif., was an active member of the Marine Corps Reserve and due back for duty on Oct. 25.

According to the paper, an investigation determined that Collier was not impaired by alcohol or drugs. The Marion County District Attorney's Office will determine whether to bring charges against the hunter, but told the newspaper the shooting appeared to be accidental

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/22/marine-reservist-shot-and-killed-by-oregon-bear-hunter/?test=latestnews#ixzz1bY5l0lFA

2. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

A complete tragedy - and just the situation the anti-gunners/anti-hunters need.
    Guys, if you aren't sure, then don't shoot. Please!
    Mike

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

yaki probably loves this.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    An accident? More like a COMPLETELY PREVENTABLE accident.

Frankly, failure to identify your target should be NEGLIGENCE.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Frankly, failure to identify your target should be NEGLIGENCE"

Not to sound like i disagree, but actually, it should be "CRIMINIAL NEGLIGENCE" in my opinion. Shooting at an unidentified target is no accident.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I don't hunt, but is it normal to shoot at an animal that you can't see
    well enough to place the shot where it would be fatal - even if you were sure it was the animal you were hunting. I would think you'd be extra concerned about only wounding a bear.

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Accidents are preventable and this is another tragedy that happens far to often.

Its also a example of our failure to educate in this country. Growing up as a kid in the 60's, I was smart enough NOT to go out in the woods during HUNTING SEASON looking like game.

This was before Hunter Orange was even thought of!!

How did that happen? I had "teachers" who talked and were about hunting!!

There was "stupid" action in both parties involved in this accident.

Have you ever gone to your local school district and ask permission to put on a Hunter ED class? Even in rural America it is getting harder to get a "yes" out of them !!

Why is that? Because Public schools are about "selective" education and "PC" education !! Hunting and firearm safety DON'T fit in, either of those categories !!

8. grntitan

dickgtax,

No it's not normal at all.

9. psfive

psfive Member

We put on two classes a year at our local middle school. We have the schools blessing. Wish we had time to put on a couple more each year. As a volunteer two is about all we can manage. Paul in Nebraska.

10. yakimaman

yaki probably loves this

Setterman: What kind of asshole comment is this? Give me your email address.

11. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Negligent discharge of a firearm resulting in death....should be 15 years mandatory.

12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Give me your email address or what?

13. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

RCW 9A.32.060
    Manslaughter in the first degree.

*** CHANGE IN 2011 *** (SEE 5045.SL) ***

(1) A person is guilty of manslaughter in the first degree when:

(a) He recklessly causes the death of another person; or

(b) He intentionally and unlawfully kills an unborn quick child by inflicting any injury upon the mother of such child.

(2) Manslaughter in the first degree is a class A felony.

According to RCW 9.94A.510, Sentencing grid, he should be looking at a minimum of over six years in total confinement.

I'll defer to Sevenmarythree on this, as the Washington sentencing calculation is a byzantine exercise.

14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Yakiman, you are a real pill. I really enjoyed the PM you sent me a few minutes ago which said:

"ARe you Setterman - if so, have the balls to put your email address down when you run your mouth, if not shut up and mind your own business. "

Thanks for showing who the true asshole is- LOL. Next time just say what you have to say in public instead of hiding behind a PM, that is if you can find some balls to play with.

15. yakimaman

Again, chickenshit little boys like to run their mouth but won't id themselves -

Want a new thread? Fine, light it up!

16. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

"Growing up as a kid in the 60's, I was smart enough NOT to go out in the woods during HUNTING SEASON looking like game."

Simple. Don't go hunting when it's HIKING SEASON.

This disaster is why many states have banned rifles and have gone to handguns and slug guns.

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Now there yaki, keep your drawers on. I can't be sure but suspect that your name (id as you call it) isn't "yakimaman". No mother would name her daughter such a thing.

Light what up?- I don't smoke what you've been smoking. Thanks for providing some entertainment this evening while OU is getting smacked by Texas Tech. I needed a good laugh.

18. grntitan

Yeah because a slug gun or a pistol would have just required a Band-Aid. WTF??

19. yakimaman

And again John Galt - you butted in here on a response to someone else - you have a beef with me then let's hear it but so far no email address from either of you mouthy little boys. Yakima WA is where I grew up, I'm sure you've heard of it. Ljutic shotguns? But no, Yakima(man) is not my name - that's Rich Miller and I'm in Columbus OH - now, I'm still waiting for that asshole Setterman to explain his comment -

20. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Yackyman, my name is John- glad to meet ya. Perhaps we can meet up at a pigeon shoot real soon. Maybe you can invite setterman to join us.

BTW, you never did answer my initial question, you just huffed and puffed and tried to swell your chest out beyond your belly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.