1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another ? about shooting steel shot at targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I know there is another thread on here about this but I wanted to ask. I have a Remington 11-87 trap with a nice step rib choke tube bbl. Our club has not went to shooting steel shot and I don't even know of anyone that has tried it, But the local walmart got in some Winchester #7 steel shot shells in and I wanted to try one so I patterened one thru an Extened Imp.Mod choke and it shot excellent. So my question is will it hurt my bbl. to try a few rounds thru it? And will the steel break targets as well as lead will? Thanks

2. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt you can hurt your 1187 tube with steel target loads. As far as steel #7s breaking targets as well as lead ... you need to determine that for yourself. Sounds like a fun test if you can manage to do it without bias.

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Let us know what you think. Try your normal yardage as well. I'm interesting in hearing back from you.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

No, it won't hurt your barrel at all. Shooting this steel shot load through a modified or improved modified choke will give you excellent results. I seriously doubt you will be able to tell the difference between them and a lead load at normal trap distances.... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

TM...

#7 Steel from WalMart - Winchester Xpert or Winchester Super Target - 1oz 1325fps or 9/8oz 1200fps... which were you shooting?!

A few clubs have significant experience with using steel to break targets. If you're on the targets, they break.

Last night we were shooting targets at 60+ yards and breaking birds with Winchester Xpert #7. I shoot through a fixed full choke in my 90T.

Do I recommend that for you... no. What I suggest to anyone who is interested in shooting steel - pattern 1st. See how its working in your gun.

It appears you have had some good initial success. Get some paper and confirm it. There is a lot of inaccurate information regarding the use of tight chokes and small/slower steel. Research past threads and enjoy!

regards to all,

Jay

8. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I'm not sure if my Old Winchester 101 would be ok with steel. Does anyone out there know if it will harm older gun barrels? I know magnum waterfowl loads leave scratches after a couple of boxes in older guns.
    Thanks

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My first thought would be to contact the manufacturer. In my experience, talking with most folks... seems most firearms built after 1975 seem to be steel compatible. If your "old" 101 has a fixed tight(er) choke, it might be advisable to pass on the steel.

That said, we got gents who put target steel through early Superposed, 40s & 50s Model 12s. They say its not hurting, and I'm not a gunsmith...

Do some homework...

regards to all.

Jay

10. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

11. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

It ruined a Belgain Browning for me when they first mandated it in the Eagle Lake area.

BK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

steel shot for target shooting stationary targets