1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another 9000H Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipped1, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

While waiting to hear back from MEC, thought I throw this out to my fellow reloaders. My 9000H has developed a nasty habit of several pieces of shot jumping out of the shell as the shot tube retracts. This has shut down my reloading activities. Things I've tried -- changing the speed of the hydraulics, changing the alignment of the rotating shell carrier, height of wad guide, height of shot drop tube, assuring the charge bar is moving freely, realigned the wad guide.

None of the above has made a difference. The system seems to klunk (a technical term) at the top of the travel. Doesn't change even without shells.

I have made ~ 90,000 shells with this system (three years old).

Any thoughts?

Chip

2. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Clean and lube the resizing collet will fix your problem. EELL is right.
    Keep shooten Fran

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Did anyone mention clean and lubing the sizer collet. Lube it with an anti-sieze compound. You can get a small tube of it at any auto parts store and it will last for years. A little goes a long way.

Jim

4. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick response -- but here is the rub. I omitted the fact that I cleaned the collet with mineral spirits and a dental pick before greasing. The collets motion is smooth. The problem is from some other source.

Any ideas?

Chip

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Me too, chip. Hap suggested I use more wad pressure, but the only way I can do that is lower the ram tube and it's already so low I can scarcely get the pink wad in now.

Neil

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

To use those long based wads, I had to trim part of the side of the wad guide to get enough clearance and wad pressure together. I got tired of shot popping out at the top of the stroke and finding it's way into the resizing fingers! I'll get the camera, take a picture of the cut-out and post it. Hap

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=8-20Pics273.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

It won't take much trimming to get enough clearance for the long based wads. Hap

7. Warren Hamatani

Warren Hamatani Member

The same thing happened to me and it drove me crazy. If you take a look at the rod crimp guide, it looks like the C clip is missing. This will cause the wad guide to go to far down the hull. Shot will rest on the fingers of the guide and when the wad guide goes up, it will scatter the shot.

You can buy something close to the c clip at any hardware store.

Hope this works

Warren Hamatani
    Sacramento CA

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hi Warren:

"If you take a look at the rod crimp guide, it looks like the C clip is missing." You are right about a missing clip causing slippage troubles!

In the above photo, all the "c" clips are in place, you just can't see the one you refer to. The wad guide is setting firmly on top of it.

I don't think MEC took the length of the 7/8ths wad base into consideration when they designed this wad guide, so I tweaked mine a tad.

Hap

9. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Scientific method has gone out the window and I am now making wholesale changes (many before testing). Frustration has set in.

The "C" retaining clamp is in place -- but I appreciate the tip
    Next I'll disconnect the chain link to the collet.
    Hap MEC Tweaks -- I use Windjammer II and Rem Fig 8 wads -- are they problematic from your experience? Your experience sounds the same as mine. How did you trim the wad guide? It looks like you took a substantial amount of material off.

Short of disconnecting the collet and trimming the wad guide I am out of tweaks.

Chip

10. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I know this is way too simple for you not to have seen it, but the only time mine ever did that was when it had a tiny hooked lip on one of the wad guide petals.

11. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Texas Ton,

Thanks for the suggestion but that was one of the first things I checked when shot started jumping out.

Chip

12. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Make sure, I couldn't see it on mine til I took it off.

On the H, it's also very easy to make the cycle down, use your left foot and let it come up easily and watch what's going on inside the hull/finger---when it spits at you. ;^)

13. Hap MecTweaks

Chip, I used a Dremel tool with a diamond coated blade. It's real easy to cut out the section needed. I never had these sort of problems to speak of till I began loading wads with a longer base wad. It was then I made the cut-out so I could lower the drop tube a little more for more wad pressure.

I've used both of the wads you mentioned and many more besides and now have no problems at all with any. Re-read your MEC manual in the trouble shooting section, there may be something else (slightly) out of adjustment too? Like the adjustments for the tube that raises the deprimed hull? Check all the settings mentioned in the trouble shooting section.

Hap

14. Warren Hamatani

Warren Hamatani Member

Check all you pivots and links in the back of the reloader. The holes pivot holes become egg shapped. Over a long period of time, you probably made adjustments and now the ram tube could be going to far into the hull when the shop is dropped.

Hope this works

Warren

15. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

MEC sells a swing out wad guide, works great. I've never cut the wad guide, I loosened the bolt and dropped it down about 1/3....cutting it looks like a good idea though...

MEC also has a steel shot drop tube will help with the dropped shot, works great on larger shot. GOOD LUCK

16. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to give reloading another shot (pun intended) tonight and see if all the tweaks fixed the problem.

It's either going to work flawlessly or be FUBAR based upon all the changes and tweaks I made.

Chip

17. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Hi George,

Until I grind away at the wad guide I cannot raise the guide any further. I'm using either Windjammers or Rem figure 8's and there is no more room for moving the guide higher.

Thanks anyway.

Chip

18. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

John,
    A couple thoughts. You didn't say, or I missed it, what are you loading? Is it 1 oz. or 1-1/8 oz. loads. The lighter loads tend to be more problematic sometimes with a MEC 9000 because the wad is taller, therefore difficult to get in there sometimes. So try some 1-1/8 oz. loads first. I also cut out the right side of my wad guide to allow more clearance. I just carved it out with an Exacto knife and then hit it with a round file a bit. Next try replacing the wad guide with a new one. I've also had that cause me the fits you describe.

Good luck,
    Jon Reitz

19. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

What hull and wad are you using? Win. or Rem. wad in Fed. hull, drop tube will pull wad back up to the wad guide. GOOD LUCK

20. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Many good suggestions above on previous threads. I had a Mec with a similar problem that drove a customer nuts until he brought it to me to fix. Usually shot jumping out of the hull is caused by something sticking. This could be the collet, wad fingers, hydraulic piston, or several other sources. Saturday I had a customer complaining that his primers were jumping out of his tray. I sold him a new tray cover since he lost his. You can either unhook everything and start adding stations back until the problem surfaces, or you can unhook each station until the problem stops. The clunking sound would interest me since the sound indicates that somebody isn't getting along. The shot jumping out of you shells may be the reaction to the problem but not be the source of the problem.

Does anybody have the part number for the swing out wad guide for MEC? Personally I quit using anti-seize on my collet after reading a thread on TS.com and trying an experiment. Using STOS applied with a Q tip have cut my collet problems to almost none. If the clunking sound is coming near the collet, check the linkage chain on the collet as I had a unit do that this last summer and would bind the collet and made a clunking sound. We finally replaced the chain link and the arm below and it worked slick as glass. Your clunking may vary. IMHO Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.