1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another 9000G Question???????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chuckie68, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

OK I'm new to the 9000 but nott reloading. I got my forst 9000 in January. Then I got a used 9000G in 20ga. Here is the question.

What causes the swirlies in the crimp? The depth seems OK but with Remington Gun Club hulls, 14grains of Unique, Claybuster wad, and 7/8 oz. #7 1/2s I'm getting swirl. Not much but never the less, it's there.

Is there an adjustment I'm missing?

Chuck

2. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Chuck sometimes to much wad pressure and some times to much pre crimp.Try pre crimp first.

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

You need to either adjust the crimp starter (station 4) or cam (station 5) or both, by raising them.

You can view any MEC manual on line, in a couple different formats.

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Thanks! I'll try station 4 first---I thought it was a little deep from the start. This machine is used but new to me and I have only loaded a couple hundred shells on it.

Chuck

5. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Rick is right, I printed out the manual for my 9000G and refer to it frequently!

Oscar

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Get your crimp depth adjusted correctly to approximately .055". The swirl is because of the crimp cam is adjust too far down. Remember to only adjust it a 1/16" at a time. If your pre crimp is about the size of a pencils eraser its fine.

Bryan

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You're also a bit light on powder. Alliant online shows no load with those components using less than 15.5gr of powder (I checked the CB, WAA, and Orange Duster wad listings, since all are virtually identical wads).

8. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

skeet_man, My machine is dropping 14.8 grains, actually I just weighed one. Seems to work fine. I tried them out yesterday in a wind storm and broke 22 on the 16 yard line with a 870 plain barrel. I am loading these for a female friend to use in that gun and don't want to scare her away because of recoil.

Calkidd, What are you measureing at over .55"? The distance from the open case mouth to the dropped shot? or was that a typo and it needs to measure .055" depth of the closed crimp? If it is the first situation, the only remedy that I can see is a shorter wad. Although I am now at .490" to .520" from the case mouth to the dropped shot.

Oscar Ray, I have the manual for a 12 ga. 9000 and assume it is the same? I read it and didn't see anything specific. So the reason to ask experienced guys for help. Which as usual you all are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Limpy100, I'm going to try the crimp starter first. That's the easiest fix if it works.

Rick Barker, Crimp starter first - then if that doesn't work, I'll mess with the cam. Whatever it takes to fix the swirlies, it doesn't seem like it is going to be a very serious problem. Which is what I feared at the beginning.

I will keep you all posted as to the remedy I come up with. You have all been very generous with the ideas. Thank You.

Chuck

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think the swirl looks kind of pretty, why not just leave it alone? HMB

10. gaboy77

gaboy77 Member

One one page in the manual there are 4 pictures in the bottom left hand page. One of the pictures shows a swirl in the crimp. Assuming the final crimp depth is correct you need to adjust the cam up. This is done by loosening the 7/64 allen screw on the frame at the final crimp die and moving the cam up a little. Small adjustments work wonders. If you end up with a hole in the middle, the cam goes down. The manual should show you the adjustment on the page with the final crimp operation. Hope this helps.

11. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

Gaboy77 has it right. If the crimp depth is ok, you just need to adjust the cam. Had that with my Mec and moved the cam a little and the crimps are perfect.

12. Calkidd

Chuckie, my mistake. I forgot to put in a zero. It should read .055". I have made the necessary corrections.

13. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I dont load on a Mec, but I was also getting a swirl on Remingtons and wanted to check it out. I bought a factory box of STS's and AA's to compare my loads. When loading I get a slight swirl with the remington's, but most of the factory STS's also have a slight swirl. Prior to this I was spending alot of time to get the AA's to swirl and get rid of the tiny hole in the middle. Low and behold most of the factory AA's had the little hole also. So all this time I was trying to tweak my crimps, and they looked like factory loads the entire time.

14. Calkidd

A swirl is not detrimental to your load but may prematurely lessen the hulls life. As I said before you'll need to adjust your cam in order to adjust the closing of the crimp. The pre crimp is not the fix but may appear to fix it. Adjust your pre crimp to close about the size of a pencils eraser and leave it alone. Next have your crimp depth as mentioned above. Now, you can adjust the amount of closing with the cam.

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.