1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another 3200 question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wheat92, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheat92

wheat92 TS Member

Received my 3200 back from Laibs 2 weeks ago with 600.00 worth of upgrades/repair. Put about 500 rounds through it and noticed tiny brass filings on the receiver face and below the firing pin holes.Also noticed a "scoring" on each shell from the primer strike mark to the outside of the brass. I only used AA's and STS's. Obviously the filings are from the firing pins not retracting and dragging across the face of the brass when they eject. I called Laibs and they told me its because the "hammers" have to be set so far forward (I think thats the explanation)and its nothing to worry about. Anybody have a similiar problem, and is it worth worrying about?
    Thanks for your help.
    Rick, Arcadia, Fla

2. Big Tom

Big Tom TS Member

I am not sure I understand how this could happen. The firing pins should not be protruding when the gun is opened. They should certainly not be dragging across the face of the brass. Can you see any drag marks on the brass?

Tom

3. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

On my 3200, the firing pin on lower barrel marks the shell with a drag mark, but does not leave filings. Still going after 10,000+ rounds. I have only broken 1 firing pin, and that was my fault for letting the dishing at the firing pin hole get really bad before getting repaired. I worry more about missing that straight-away from post 3 than I do about the firing pin dragging. PG

4. wheat92

wheat92 TS Member

Yes, there are drag marks on the brass from both barrels. Its hard for me to believe this isn't serious, but I don't know the 3200 that well. Its annoying after spending the $$ to have this, but if someone else experienced it without major difficulty, I'll live with it.
    Thanks guys
    Rick

5. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

chipking Baity's in North Wilkesboro,NC did the work years ago. From what I have heard, Baity's did alot of the 3200 work for Remington when the problems with the firing pin holes first started to show up. I don't think Leonard does much, if any work there now, but has pretty much turned it over to one of the long-time employees. The repairs were bushings, not the strip that Laibs does. Don't know that one way is any better than the other. PG

6. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

I had a 3200 that was stolen that would leave a line, a distictive line from the base edge to the primer. so much so I could use it to count the number of times I had relaoded a shell, just by rotating the shell from the #12 clockwise. the new 3200 I replaced it with has been rebuild by Liab and the line is gone but there are still some brass fillings left behind. But they are so few and there are no visable marks on the base as before. Both have timney release bottom pull top barrel. Now what im gonna say may sound stupid, but here goes. I think that the rebuilt insert with the bushings for the firing pins has helped with the wear due less drag. The lock time is so fast in my opine that one don't even think about it. you release it goes off right friggin now. Im new to this so ill take my lumps if I have them coming. But have shot numerous high dollar guns with release triggers and found most not all but most not as "crisp" you release mine and its no lag it fires and you better be ready. So i wonder if The pin don't retract fast enough to get some drag?

Dennis

7. wheat92

wheat92 TS Member

Well, misery loves company. Its comforting to know mine is not an isolated case. But kingbang, mine is pull-pull. I believe the pins are just too far forward to begin with, but Im not a gunsmith. My concern is excessive damage over the long term.
    Thanks for your input.
    Rick

8. moldmaker

moldmaker TS Member

Not seeing the gun I do not know but could part of the probem be the ejectors need to be timed. Is there alot of rubbing from the ejectors on the breech face?

9. wheat92

wheat92 TS Member

Thats something I haven't thought of. Wouldn't Laibs have figured that out? Im about ready to call Pat Laib and speak with him directly.
    Rick

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Just to throw in my two cents....I think the little bit of brass your finding in the bottom of the receiver, since Pat install the new plate, is coming from the rim of the shell passing over the firing pin holes.

The edge of the holes that I've seen are very sharp. So when you load a new round into the gun and then close it, the rim of the shell slide along the breech face of the receiver, and an ever so little bit of the rim slips into the firing pin hole, a small amount of brass gets sheared off as you continue to close the gun.

The firing pins should not drag on the primers a all. As soon as you push the top lever over, that motion also retracts the firing pins. If there is ever a chance that the firing pin does scrape the primer, that tends to be a sign that the pins are sticking in the holes.

Doug Braker

11. wheat92

wheat92 TS Member

Overman,
    I guess I am in denial, but I will say I think I am rapidly approaching my bottom (of my wallet). Its good to know there is a life after a love affair with a gun. And mine isnt even pretty.
    Thanks
    Rick

12. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I was told by Tom Larkin that Laibs have made new firing pins for the 3200 that are .002" to .003" longer than the originals, because even with new original pins you will still have the possablity to have a failer to fire. If it had new pins installed this may be the problem.

Ken Cerney, Wisconsin

13. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have three 3200s. On one the firing pin drags severely on the brass leaving a deep mark and the gun is difficult to open. On one the firing pin drags slightly leaving a light mark. On one, a practically new One of 1000, the firing pin does not drag at all. I have tried to determine what causes the firing pin to drag and believe that it has nothing to do with the length of the pin or withdrawal of the pin upon opening. The hammers on the ones that drag are flat against the firing pin block while the hammers on the newer One of 1000 stand off from the firing pin block slightly after firing. The hammers being flat against the firing pin block holds the firing pins forward in firing position while the gun is opened until the cocking rod moves far enough to start moving the hammers back. I don't know what holds the hammers back slightly on the newer gun. Perhaps this is something that develops as the parts wear.

14. wheat92

wheat92 TS Member

ou.3200
    This makes sense to me. I called Pat Laib and he gave me a technical explanation about the hammers that went right over my head. (I'm relatively new in the gun maintenance dept.)In any event, he said his Perazzi does the same thing.It has to do with the adjustment of the hammers far forward enough (I guess your explanation of them being flat aainst the block) to insure enough force to discharge a hard (steel) primer. Have you ever broken a pin or encountered any other kind of damage due to this problem?
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
    Rick

15. ou.3200

Rick, I did have a broken firing pin last year. The gun started misfiring occasionally and when I took it apart the firing pin fell out in two pieces broken next to the groove that retains the retractor if that is the correct terminology. Steel primers are bad in a 3200 as they dish out the breech face around the firing pin hole. I had one fixed by Laib's who installed the strip over the holes. The metal they use is so hard it stands up to the steel primers. On the others I use only Winchester or Remington primers with brass cups.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I just bought a 3200 very clean with no wear, but if you hold the reciever with one hand and the barrels in the other in closed position you can wiggle the barrels in the reciever side to side with some play. The lever is at center. Is this to be of concern.

Sorry to change the subject, just thought I'd chime in while all you Rem. guru's were onboard.

Thanks , Shannon

17. ou.3200

Shannon, You may be able to adjust some of that play out by adjusting the forend. There is an adjustment screw in the forend which is a slotted screw with a lock nut over it. If you look inside the forend in the bottom you will see it. Someone on here may be able to scan the instructions as to how to do the adjustment and send it to you. If there is play up and down under the lock that slides over the barrels it may need to be adjusted if any adjustment remains or rebuilt if not. The adjustment is accomplished by putting thinner shims in the lever mechanism if all have not already been removed. That requires complete disassembly.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain this adjustment.

Shannon

19. Mike

Mike Member

Shannon, did I create a monster by lending you the 3200 at Carleton? Mik

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

YES thank you very much. This one is not as beautiful as your Anton stocked 1 of 1000 but It's clean, the price was right and it shoots where I look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 3200 light primer strike

top barrel firing pin drags across primer