1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Another 2 yards???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Thompson, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

That is what the ATA president suggested in his speech during the opening ceremonies.
  2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

That is just what we need. Now even more sandbaggers standing on the 18 yard line.
  3. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

I certainly hope they do! It is lot more fun to read the "energized" comments here on TS.com. Regards, Ed
  4. shooter99

shooter99 Active Member

I move any closer I will be in the trap house.
  5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Remember the "one-time only" two yards? Was it a lie?
  6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Wasn't it me who suggested a yearly thing? See, the "powers that be" are watching!

It's called "kicking the can farther down the road". Cheaper than adding some necessary yardage with a positive effect-until the big boys are forced to start a new Spring job-flipping hamburgers. That's when it'll end!!
  7. Big Jack

Big Jack Active Member

It took me many moons to reach the 27 yd line the first time. I refused the first reduction they sent but have accepted everyone since then. Now, with the last 2 yd step foreward and a shoulder change, I am standing on the 23. In some ways, it feels like a step backward but if the figures say you don't belong where your standing, don't be a fool, accept the reduction and work your way back if you can. Remember, the person you are competing most with, stands in your shoes!

Big Jack
  8. AAtrap

AAtrap Active Member

I'm exactly in your shoes, Jack and totally agree with your post.Couldn't have said it better myself.

Steve
  9. puablo

puablo Active Member

We'll all be in the house, an that ain't the dog house! Pretty soon we'll need reading glasses to shoot the targets.
  10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Imagine the angles from short yardage!!!
  11. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

All of this because no mandatory reductions in the first place. Brad
  12. JACK

JACK Active Member

Long yardage squads at local shoots are none. Probably for good. (or bad)
  13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I agree. Even if it was a 1/2 yard mandatory reduction a person would slowly work his way back to where they could hold a 90% average and are more competitive. 2 yards at a time does in my mind encourage some to hold back until a good money shoot or a state shoot comes along.

MIA, I don't know about Minn. but here in Iowa we still have 27 yard shooters in local shoots.
  14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What about the guy that really wants to get better and does. He carries a decent average and gets a 1/2 yard or a yard a year.

He's screwed.
  15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

No reductions after 90% average.

There were no 2 yard reduction on averages over either 90 or 91%. If I read one of the recent posts correctly the cut off for all zone averagers is 90% now. the central zone was 91%.
  16. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

No more reductions. Some people are just going to suck, deal with it. All the ATA is trying to do is make it so everyone can win.

You don't see any other sports organizations penalizing the better players/teams. It would be like MLB telling the top performing teams that they can only have 7-8 players on the field instead of 9 to help the poor performing teams.
  17. JACK

JACK Active Member

Likes to: Yes, I was exaggerating. I was the one that said they would do it again regardless of what Andy claims...

I preferred the 26 yard line for several reasons. 1) I liked the ability to arrive at a local shoot at 11 AM, get on a late singles squad, and erase an "X" for a early long yardage squad no show, shoot that by 1 PM or 1:30 and be on my way home by 2:30. Now I have to show up early regardless if I shoot the long yardage or shorter yardage. Adn leave later.

2) I have not had a 90 average at hcp for 25 years. I think my total 90+ hcp scores since '06 will fit on one hand. I cannot break 95 at singles, how will I ever expect to be competitive with the guys that are on the way up.

3) I hate the concussion that comes from 2 yards separation. the vibration cone is ahead of me at only one yard.

4)I shoot to enjoy the activity. would you "mandatory" guys want me off the line for hcp? Just to shoot singles? If I have to just shoot 100 singles, I'm not gonna be at that shoot.

I can see that the scores have jumped up and seemingly more shooters are shooting handicap. (we'll know more about that after this year has ended.

I'll reevaluate my yardage stance when they offer the 2 yards again
  18. chipking

chipking TS Member

likes-to-shoot That ain't so. My average for target year 2011 was 90.89 and was at 91.02 with a 1/2yard punch (on the ATA site)just 3 weeks before they sent me my 2 yard reduction. Told them NO THANKS.

--- Chip King ---
  19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Alright MIA, we'll call it a tie but a no-brainer anyway!!
  20. JACK

JACK Active Member

Just... make it two things... buy a perazzi

Andy. you got it. prob a thousand shooters came to the same conclusion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.