1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***Another 1100 ?***

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Has anyone out there used a Jack West stock in conjunction with a Hastings Trap barrel on a 1100. I'm trying to formulate a plan for my next gun project, so any help would be appreciated.

ec90t

2. rrose

rrose TS Member

I just got one of the new JW stocks 2 months ago and it is great, well worth the money.
    I have a step rib barrel with an add on rib and it is a great set up. I like the grip area as well as the adj comb and feel that it is a much improved stock and makes me mount and grip more consistant. Should result in better scores. Good luck with your project.
    randy

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've shot such a setup for 'caps. A friend has an 1100 with a JW stock and a high rib Hastings trap barrel (not the Wadlock barrel). The POI is set very high. He holds on the back of the trap house, and simply moves the gun left or right, no up or down movement. The gun is rock steady and comfortable to shoot. I don't care for the POI myself, and it would have to be readjusted for closer yardage or doubles. But for caps shooting, it's the cat's meow.

4. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I just got a new 1100 Classic Trap that shoots VERY flat. Thinking of an add on rib and/or adj comb. I just hate to cut the AAA wood on this baby.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Duckman,

Adding an add-on rib, in and of itself, will not raise your POI. In fact, adding height to the rib will lower your POI.

You need to raise your head with respect to the barrel, which will require adding height to your comb.

6. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

OK, thanks. I will probably go with the adj comb once I get my head around the idea of cutting on the stock. :)

7. pb

pb TS Member

Here is the link to my gun.
    http://trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=95349

I love my 1100 with the Jack West / Hastings high rib. It is soft to shoot and my 16’s and Caps show major improvement.

Jon

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Duckman, there is an alternative. Brownells sells a product called "Scope-Eze", which is a soft comb that can be added to any stock. They come in strap on and adhesive. Neither damage the stocks, though the adhesive version should be considered to be semi-permanent. You could try one by duct taping it on, and if it works, then mount it. These come in a variety of heights, so you could experiment with balsa wood and duct tape, and see what height works best. I don't care for how the "flaps" hang down on the stock, but these can be trimmed back.<br>
    <br>

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Duckman,

May I suggest Greg Hissem. He does excellent work.

Tim

10. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Gregg has done numerous combs for me over the years and his work is impeccable.
    Thanks for the tip Brian.

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

AverageEd wrote his magazine column on this subject a while back. I believe he put a Jack West stock, Hastings trap barrel, and a Timney release trigger on his 1100. He posts here; so maybe he'll reply with the results. How about it, Ed?

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Actually, I had my 1100TT's factory Monte Carlo trap stock made adjustable but I'm considering buying a Jack West stock for he gun just to play around with. I have to have my comb up R-E-A-L high and would like to be able to have it closer to the stock.

Ed

13. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Here's one that I set up. This is a Roger Eubanks barrel and a JW stock/forend on a new 1100 Competition. The photo was taken before I found longer posts for the adjustable comb. The comb is now probably an inch and a half higher than what you see here. cls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Charles,

Approximately what POI is the barrel on your 1100?

ec90t

15. pb

pb TS Member

What kind of price are we talking about on a Roger Eubanks barrel with a rib like that? Looks great.

Jon

16. Charles L. Schmidt

ec90t, Roger will set them up any way you like. I asked that this barrel be set to 80/20 with a fig.8 bead stack, and that's exactly what I got. The guns I shot before this one had lightning fast triggers, with those I used a very high POI, close to 120%. Knowing (assuming) that with the slower trigger of an 1100 I wouldn't want a POI that high so I went with 80/20. But I now have the comb adjusted to a point where I see quite a bit of rib between the beads. I would guess that it shoots around 100% high the way I have it set up. I like it.

Jon, Roger does great work. He built most all of Daro Handy's barrels and I understand that he installs the ribs on the Alferman Trapguns. You'll have to contact him for pricing (208-337-4212).

cls

17. rrose

rrose TS Member

charles: your 1100 looks like a real trap breaking tool. did you buy that from me and we met in carrolton?
    randy rose

18. Charles L. Schmidt

Nope, I bought the adj-comb Competition new. A friend and FFL holder bought the gun from one of his distributors for me. I bought the stock and forend direct from Jack West. I worked the barrel deal with Roger. I bought the release trigger from Spears. And Tron fit the adj-butt plate and pad. The hardest part was finding someone to make the 3" adj-comb posts for me. The gun shoots great, no straights yet but a couple 99's. I haven't shot much in the last couple years, hope to shoot more soon.

And in about 5 minutes time I can mount the original wood, barrel, and trigger and have a dandy Sporting Clays gun… cls

19. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Up for Mark.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.