1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another 100 straight with steel shot - well almost

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 7, 2013.

1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Jim here broke a 99/100 today with his own steel shot reloads at the Naperville Sportsman's Club. Since we didn't have a 75 straight patch we temporarily awarded him a 25 and a 50 that he can turn in when we get an extra 75.

Congrats to Jim. He beat me every round today except the last. I just couldn't keep up with Jim's fine shooting. So many nice white smoke balls from our bio targets. Fun to be a part of!

We're going to have to order more patches.

joekuhn_2008_0303183.jpg

2. perezal

perezal Member

Way to go Jim. Great shooting.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Hey Joe... Tell us what experience your guys with expensive guns are having with steel shot. I'm wondering if they are tough enough as your Remington "kuhner" seems to be.

Jack

4. joe kuhn

They're not seeing any damage to them at all. We even have one shooter who loads his own with wads for lead. He shoots very little steel shot (3/4 oz) and hasn't seen any problems with scratching. I've looked at his wads and they have small holes in the shot petals. Our theory is the annealed shot we use is softer than the steel of his barrels.

I've had a lead choke stretch in a different gun. The choke was still usable, it felt a little tight as it was screwed in, but it seated all the way in. Use chokes rated for steel.

That's about it for the range of experience. Nothing exciting. Guys use full chokes all the time.

Later, Joe

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jack:

Some of the higher end guns used at Naperville include Krieghoff, Kolar, Perazzi, Guerini, Browning, Beretta, plus my 90T... all used without issue... as Joe mentioned many use a "true" full choke, while some of the companies issue warnings to limit choke constriction. Briley makes a line of steel-comp chokes to augment the lead variety.

IMHO, factory ammo should be fine with most guns of modern vintage (1975+), however, folks with older guns, should contact their manufacturer for guidance.

Joe alluded to my use of a AA clone wad for my 3/4oz #7 load... I do get a couple small pin-holes, but the barrels look fine... and I have had them examined for damage.

***** My personal use of lead wads to load steel shot is not an endorsement or recommendation of the practice *****

Jay

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

That is GREAT news. Thanks for ringing in.

Jack

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jay,

What do you think those 3/4 Oz steel handloads cost you to make?

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Now we need targets with a small magnetic center every bit helps when you shoot like me.

9. spitter

Wolfram...

$14/10# steel, $12/1000 wads, $25/1000 primers. $100/8# powder... 16 gr. $3.25/bx

Jay

10. joe kuhn

The thing I like about Jim is he went back out there after missing one and ran another 25. He went home on a positive note. We'll be seeing more of Jim.

11. spitter

Joe:

send an email to Tom... we typically don't stock 75s and 100s in the box... and if we're out - we could always take one out of the "patches picture frame" behind the desk - BUT only if we're completely out...

Jay