1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another 1 oz. Testimonial

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Remington STS, 16.3 gr. (#30 MEC bushing) Clays, Claybuster clone of Winchester WAA12 wad (white 1 1/8), Win 209 primer, 1 oz. hard 7 1/2 shot. Incredible breaks from 16 and 27 yard lines. Theory: the longer shot cup of the WAA12-type wad protects the 1 oz. shot better and holds tight pattern.
    Works for me. (Ran out of pink WSL wads so tried the white ones) Best Regards, Ed

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I am not sure about the speed...just guesstimating from the loads listed in Hodgdon's manual which indicate 1125 fps if using 15.7 gr. Clays or 1180 fps using 17.0 gr. of Clays. "Guessimating" 16.3 gr. may be close to 1150 fps. I need a chrono measurement...and Father's day is coming up. Thanks. Ed

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

You are right about using a 1-1/8 oz wad, I have noticed great patterns with this. If one makes sure your charge bar drops a true 1oz load this is a good fit, also lets you use one wad [I use dusters] I do belieive as well it gives 100% shot column protection.

GS

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Because of the confusion concerning 1oz. vs. 1 1/8 oz I have decided to go to 1 1/16 oz and 6 3/4 shot. The best of both worlds!!!

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

jbbor brings up an interesting point. Every time I see a target break with a 1 oz. load from the 27 I feel like I'm witnessing a miracle. It is just not supposed to happen according to the graphs. Must be a "golden bb" or a lucky gun point or plain ol' miracle just occurred. Best Regards, Ed

6. lancelot

lancelot Member

Let me pick some brains here.

The Claybuster 3118-12 (Fig 8 clone) seems to be a little taller than the Win WAA12, and the Rem Fig 8. Also it looks as if the the shot cup is a slightly higher. I have been using this wad with 1 oz and 1 1/8. I have used the data for Tgt 12 for 1 oz and the data for Fig 8 for 1 1/8. I would think you could split the difference and come up with a pretty, good, 1 1/16 oz, @ 1165 fps, for all practice, and some registered shooting.

Appreciate your thoughts. Ron

7. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I switched to 1 0z in the spring and scores have gone up.
    Rem. hull, Fio primer, 16.9 grains titewad, TGT12 wad. Very low recoil and targets are smoke.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ed,

Its just an optical illusion. Those targets don't really break, it just looks that way.

See you tonight at league, and I'll watch as those targets "appear to break."

Tim

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If your gonna shoot 1 oz loads, And I shoot a bunch of them, At least use #8 shot to keep the pellet count and pattern density up.

Jim

10. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

Heres what I like - rem hull,win 209,tg12wad,1oz of 8.5's,17.0 grns Nitro - then by chance I loaded some up with an 1 1/8, of 8.5's - and then I bumped them up to 17.5grns and just for the fun of it tried them at 25yds,and at 27yds - WOW!! does increased pellet count make a difference - try it - I think you'll like it - J Mroczka

11. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Tim, if I break any tonight, I'll pretend the "golden b.b." I put in each reload did its job.

Jim101 and J - I would use 8s or 8.5s, but all I have are several bags of 7.5s. With the price of shot and gas, my Social Security check - and the allowance my wife gives me ;o)- won't go far enough buy 8s right now...but I will when I run out of 7.5s. Best Regards, Ed

12. IM390

IM390 Member

Clays is notorious for over estimating their velocities. I've tried WIN SL, Windjammer and TGT wads and like Windjammer out to 25 and the SL wads out to 27 in my Optima choked IM. My Benelli brother Super likes the TGT more, choked with Hastings LF. My chronie indicates 18 grains of Clays averages 1860 fps w/win 209 primer, not the 1200 or 1235 fps published in reports.

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I wonder why K.O. doesn't shoot these loads??

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

IM390

1860 fps?

Really?

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

timb99:

I questioned that myself. I would hope it's a typo. I would just assume he meant 1160 and go from there.

As for Clays, I get close to the published velocities over a light screen type chronograph with most loads.

I have a few favorite 1oz loads that work quite well. I shoot 1oz, mostly 8s, almost exclusively and am trying out some 7/8 oz of 8 1/2's. They appear to crush targets when I do my part.

16. Montagnana2

Montagnana2 TS Member

I have developed confidence in 1oz loads from the 16 and short handicap but felt iffy about using it for long yardage. I'm not a long yardage shooter but was practicing last night with a friend who is, so I shoot what he shoots. Anyway, from the 26 yard line, I shot a 21 using Remington Gun Club 1 1/8 oz factory loads,7 1/2 shot. Realizing of course that there are roughly 20 more pellets 1n 1 oz #8 than in 1 1/8 oz 7.5 I decided to try my 1 oz #8 reloads and shot a 22, with very hard breaks. I use 19.5 gr Green Dot, Green Duster wad, #8 shot, Gun Club hull. I was very convinced of the ability of 1 oz from the 26 yard line, and with the price of shot being what it is...

Larry

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

96 is always a good score from the fence but our resident patterning expert believes he would have broken a much higher score with 1 1/8 oz.

KO would shoot 1oz. if the rule made him!!

18. lancelot

lancelot Member

Neil Winston, awhile back, published some pretty conclusive figures that some birds will slip through 1 oz, of 7 1/2's at 27 yards. I saw him at the Grand and commented on his findings and he made it clear that he had only done tests with 7 1/2, and that 8's might be another matter.

The 3 dr, 1 1/8, loads are kicking hell out of me. I want shooting to be pleasant as well as fun. I'm going to try the 1 oz, loads for handicap. I'm at 24 so shot size probably won't be a factor. If I ever move back again, I might get concerned about pattern density, and shot sizes, and energy, but for right now I'm going to let recoil guide me.

Ron

19. darr

darr Well-Known Member

1oz with waa12 in a AA hull with 18 grs. Red Dot really patterns well.1200 fps.This is a published load .Reloading for Shotgunners 4th Ed.There is a similiar load for the Rem. hull.It uses the old 97 primer.This load fits perfect in the new AA hull and the older AA has a slight dish in the crimp but works well.The longer 1oz wads can sometimes be a pain in the a--.

Darr

20. chanmarine

chanmarine TS Member

For what it's worth....loaded up some light loads for the family.........STS/1 oz 8.5's/AA12SL/15 gr. 700x..........tested them from the 16.........now it's all I shoot at the 16. Soft shooter, excellent pattern in my Browning, good pellet count, inexpensive powder, chrono'ed at 1130 fps....not super clean, but lots more 24's and 25's since the change,and saves a few bucks too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.