1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Annies or long shots?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shubble72, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

I would like to ask what kind of loads do you guys use for annies or long shots from the fence? I have been using 1 1/4oz with 28 bushing of longshot but it is kinda hard on guns. Any alternative?

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

shubble72,

My pet load is as follows:

29.2 grains of Longshot

Heavy 1 1/8oz of 6's (my 1 3/16's charge bar drops just a tick over 1 1/8oz of 6's)

Winchester 209 primer

Remington Fig 8 wad

Federal hull

This load can be softened up a little by substituting a Remington 209 for a Winchester 209.

You can also load the same thing into a Remington hull, but drop the powder amount to 28.5 grains.

You won't find this load in any book, other than my own. The pressures are way on the bottom side. This load will yield 1330-1350FPS depending on barrel length, bore diameter, choke. There are no sealing problems with the wad and the load burns fairly clean.

I haven't shot big shells, 1 1/4oz or better, for quite some time. I can consistantly break 75yd targets with this load!

ec90t

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

mix some #5 shot with some 7 1/2's and use it in your regular handicap load.
    I have won Annie Oakleys using just regular Win AA super Handicaps. If you're on the target, its going to break no matter what load your using.

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Three things.

#1 - go buy a good scale, discuss powder grains not bushing number, which is sure sign of a novice. All bushings are not created equal, each will drop a slightly different amount of powder. NEVER TRUST the stated drop weight of a bushing, you must weight the grains dropped from each bushing.

My way of doing weighing the powder dropped is like this. Fill the powder bottle about half way, now take something like a screwdriver handle and tap the powder bottle, you will notice the powder compacting into itself. Now install a empty hull (with dead primer) and pull the handle to drop the powder into the hull, BE SURE and do this about 5 times, emptying the hull each time. Now you are ready to measure the powder drop for the first time, write down the amount of powder dropped, repeat at least 3 times to accururely know the powder dropped with that bushing, keep a record.

#2 - go buy a case of Federal Premium, copper coated, 1 1/4 6's.

Now shoot the Federal shells for your long shots, all the while reloading a few shells trying to match the Federal Premium's in speed and the way they break the target. It's experiment, experiment. Try to load no more than 1 1/4 of shot as there is just to much recoil with more shot and you will start lifting your head as you pull the trigger.

Get a copy of Tom Rooster ( spelling) book on reloading, he's in Oregon.

Tom

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use 27.5 gr Longshot, 1/1/4 oz # 4's, STS hull, windjammer wad, fed 209 primer. I shoot 100- 200 every time I go which is at least once a week. ( I use a Beretta303 auto)

6. BAMBAM4

BAMBAM4 TS Member

I use 1 1/2 #4 with 29 gr of longshot with W209 primers and WAA12R wad. Or try 1 3/8 of #5 with 32.5 gr of longshot with Rem209P primers and SP12 wads. All of the above loads are used in a Winchester AA hull. I have used the above loads at local turkey shoots as far back as you want.

7. BAMBAM4

BAMBAM4 TS Member

I almost forgot. When the tempature gets to 45 or lower you may want to put a hand warmer in the shell bag. It seems that the longshot powder does not like the cold.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Win. AA 1oz 8's......I quit reloading 15 years ago...

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I've been shooting up old Winchester-Western Double X lead duck loads: 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 - 6's. This load seems to do pretty good as the 4th/5th/6th shot shell.

Soon as they are gone, I'll dig into my stash of Remington Nitro Pheasant Magnums: 1300fps - 1 3/8 - copper-plated 6's: purchased 'specially for Annies.

Judging by the concussion I hear/feel on the line, these loads are mild compared to what some are shooting....

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like to use a “pigeon load” of hard or copper plated size 6 shot for a “back up load” in killers or as a long distance load. The recoil is not too bad and a “pigeon load” of size 6 shot will break targets at any distance. In hot weather, I sometimes use 7 ½ size shot.

The old “pigeon load” is 1 ¼ oz of shot at 1220 fps and was marked as 3 ¼ / 1 ¼ / 7 ½ or 6 shot.

My favorite load, which can be found on the Alliant web site, is the Remington STS hull, R209P primer, SP12 wad, 25 grains of Alliant Herco and 1 ¼ oz of hard 6 shot. Per the Alliant web site, this load develops 9600 PSI and 1220 fps.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use 33.5 Grains of Longshot 1 1/8 oz #6s AA Hdcp Hull Rio Primer Rem SP-12 wad, weighed loads on digital scale, for very, very, very, long shots I just increase the shot to 1 1/4oz for shots over 75 yards.

Dr.longshot

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I just use factory Remington Nitro Gold Sporting, it's the sporting clay version of the Nitro 27 load. Box says 1300 fps, ounce and eight of 7.5s. Our back fence at our club is the porch on the club house which is 54 yards. That load will grinded em up from there. Anymore I don't like to shoot anything heavier than that in my guns.

Years ago I would shoot 33 grains of 540 in AA casing with yellow Winchester wad and ounce and quarter of 6s'. Absolutely great load!!! That load would break em anywhere!!! Winchester quit making 540, but I've been told Hodgdon makes a replacement.

Tried shooting Herco with ounce an a quarter, didn't have much success, tried ounce an eight load and it worked great. Didn't have much luck with Winchester Super Field either.

I tried em all and had some great loads but the Remington Nitro Gold works as well as anything I could make.

13. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

does anyone know the replacement for 540? thanks. Don

14. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

30 gr. warm weather, 32 gr. cold weather Longshot. CB 1140 1 1/4 wad w/ 1 1/4 #6 shot and Winchester 209. STS hulls.

Good stream and won't blow your pattern. 1345 fps. & IM tube. LF tube from the parking lot.

15. darr

darr Well-Known Member

The replacement for 540 {great powder} is H-6 by Hodgdon.

Darr

16. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I have to admit that I have tryed alot of different shootoff shells. I owned a Beretta 682 and it liked 24 grains of unique in a federal paper with 1 1/4 of 7's. All I had to do was point it at the bird. My next 682 did not like this load, or the Perrazi I owned. I have been shooting Blue Dot in my latest one. But havent found the magic one!. Before shot,powder and components went off the scale in price, a person could experiment alittle. Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

longshot annie load sp12 wad

longshot annie load sp12 wad double aa shell

superfield annies load