1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Annie Oakly Recipes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by burgy, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burgy

burgy TS Member

Does anyone have a good load for shooting Annie Oaklys from the 27 yd. line?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Factory Remington Nitro27 3dr. 11/8oz 71/2's is all the shell you need from the 27yd line in any Annie Oakley from that yardage. With this shell, in a properly choked gun, will break the target all the way to the ground easily. There is absolutely no need to "power up" when shooting Annies from the 27yd line.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We start our Annies on the 33-35 yd. line. 1 1/4 #6 @ 1330 if you want to make the shoot off. Then we go back to near 50 yd line. 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 # 6 @ 1250 if you want to win. Any 1 1/8 Trapload at this yardage produces a loser. Many good shooters have tried. They are known as losers.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Got to agree with 1oldtimer. ( Of course, mine are a bit faster.)

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Anyone seen Alliant's new Pro Reach yet?

I tried to buy some and can't find it anywhere.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

All the clubs near me limit shot size to 7 1/2 and shoot from the 27. Most require ATA legal loads. As Dan suggests, I use Nitro 27s in 8 or 7 1/2.

Back when I was young and foolish, I shot what my reloader came setup to load. Nominally 1 1/8oz #8 @ 1200fps using Red Dot. I shot that load for all games using my SxS field gun choked full and fuller. I often broke targets just before they hit the ground. As it turns out, the powder bushing didn't throw 19gr of Red Dot and the shot bushing threw less than 1 1/8oz. So I was really breaking those birds with a 1 1/16oz load @ about 1175fps. Go figure.

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

zzt I did exactly the same thing 40 + years ago. Times have changed,longer yardages etc. You can't compete with that shell today. Many good shooters have tried.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I also agree with 1oldtimer regarding moving back to the longer yardages. The farther back you go, the more shell you will need to be competitive. I'm a Herco fan when it comes to these loads. That being said, if you are only going to shoot your Annie's from the 27, and no farther back than that, the Nitro27 is all you need..... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. burgy

burgy TS Member

Thanks for the input. I belong to a gun club so there are no rules as to loads. It's anything goes, so I am competing against guys that will shoot whatever the shell will hold. It does get ridiculous sometimes so was just wondering what the heck some of these guys are shooting. I have some recipes for the Pro Reach powder but haven't tried to find any yet. Thanks again.

10. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Bob, Bob, Bob - now I think your nose is growing a little....LOL...BIG JIM

11. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

If there are no rules, why not go to a 3 1/2" magnum. That shoot beat the rest of them if you do your part. Just my .02

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Big Jim..... Bob sometimes has a delusional thought, now and then, and really thinks those of us that have shot with him believe all he says....... Dan

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I used to shoot "Annies, Protections" one and sometimes two night per week, always shot factory Super Handicap or Nitro'27's from the 27 yardline clear back to the 45/50 yardline where we would shoot a game called 5 for $5 that was a winner take all format ... I won my share as did the other guys shooting the new factory stuff ... The guys shooting the "Big Boomers" were constantly having problems with their guns besides the head aches they got from shooting them, and they never won anymore than anyone else did ... In my eyes its not worth the beating you take to put a beating on yourself, your gun and those you are trying to beat on the line ... Stick with the new factory Handicap stuff and you will be surprised what they can do ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Rhet1977 Most clubs limit shells at 2 3/4 inch. Iknow you are just kidding!

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

WPT I have been shooting 1 1/4 #6 at 1250-1275 fps. for many years. My BT 99 shows no excessive wear or problems,still waiting for my 1st. headache. If 7 1/2 have all the power you need for long range, why do the shell companys load 4- 5- 6? If that were true,we could kill our ducks,geese,fox etc. for a lot less money. Have you ever seen the energy per pellet drop off table of a 7 1/2 or 8 vs. a 5 or 6. It is very dramatic! You can just about turn your back to a #8 at 75 yards where the 5 & 6 kill! Its great that you have unlimited killing power with your Nitro 27- 7 1/2-8. We could save some money if they worked that good for us? Keep breaking em.

16. coho

coho Member

i use to shoot annies every week, in fact thats all we ever shot at my old club, i really miss that. i used the same load at 44 yards(we had concrete that far back) as i did at the 16, 17 gr promo with 1 oz 7 1/2. i'm probably the only one who did though and i didnt win much once we got past the 27 yd line, most of the other guys would start pulling shells out of different pockets at that point. if your guns started sounding a lot louder, you were asked to leave so they had to be careful. we had a guy show up once with factory heavy duck and pheasant loads, they sure worked good but he was told he had to use legal trap shells or go home, he chose to go home and he never came out again.

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

coho We go by the rules. Some clubs we shoot trap loads. Most are 2 3/4 inch what ever you are man enough to shoulder. Trap loads are fine on the 27. Jaqua's have a big draw protection 27 yd. trap load only. My partner & I broke 50 straight in 2008 with Nitro 27 trap loads,great shells.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

1oldtimer,

The clubs where I shot the games would of showed you the door if you were shooting 6's and insisted that you never come back ... Club Rules can sometimes be a bitch ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The clubs I go to shoot all Annie's from the 27 yd line, 1st shot I use 19 Grs Promo, Rio Primer 1 1/8th oz # 7 1/2s, Fed Topo Gun Hull w/Windjammer Wad, 2nd Shot 1 1/4 oz 6s w/26 grs 800-X, same hull, Rem SP-12 wad, Rio Primer, 3rd shot if they nare riding the target out is 34.5 Longshot, Activ Hull, Rio Primer, Windjammer Wad,
    1 1/4 oz 6s..

For the miss and out shots same load w/5s 60+yards.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

WPT Thats why we go by club rules. Rules are never a bitch,If you shoot diff. clubs, they have diff. rules. We never have a problem with shooting #6 at that club that allows it. Don't see any substance in your point ? Am I missing something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.