1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANNIE OAKLIES LOAD DATA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poacherjoe, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

We have friday night shoots and ATA rules DO NOT apply so I am asking for your favorite long range reload data using up to 1 and 1/4 oz of shot.I have been using SR4756 at 32grs and WAA12R wad with Rem. Blue Magic hull and WW209 primer at 1330 fps. It smashes the target way out there but my shoulder also feels it.I am going to experiment with some fast 1 0z loads ! Please post your favorite loads. Thanks PJ

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

the old style low brass Win. AA 1oz 8's were unbeatable IMHO....won some Annies and other clay target games with them against some "special recipe" turkey shootin' loads.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Poacherjoe,

My pet load for long range shooting is as follows:

Remington tapered hull (STS,Gunclub,etc)

Remington Fig. 8 wad

28.5 gr of Hodgdon's "Longshot" powder

Remington 209 primer

1 1/8th oz of 6's

This load yeilds 1330-1350 fps from a 30" INV+ barrel w/ .025 restriction. The recoil is very mild and will break targets as far as needed. I use this load all the time in my BPS for back-ups and pad shoots. I use a 1235 fps 1 1/8th oz load of 7 1/2's for my call birds.

Have fun and welcome to the funnest shooting that you will ever do!

ec90t

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My personal opinion on Annie loads

Nothing beats 800X 1 3/8 oz # 4 lead, Fed 209 primer, Fed wads, STS hull

I do agree with the nickle plated shot theory though, I buy Fiocchi's # 4 pheasant loads when I can and they are awesome for Annies

I have tried Longshot, Blue Dot and nothing has less recoil than the 800x for me. I do sustitute Herco at times when I cannot get 800X

I soot nothing but the games and shoot at least twice a week so I have shot a fair amount of long range games

5. poacherjoe

Hey guy's Please give Complete load data!!Thanks to Jbbor,ec90t and cigar2000. Cigar what is your recipe for Herco? I have HS-6+7,Herco,Blue Dot,SR4756 and Unique from my old duck hunting day'sAnyone have a recipe for these powders?? PJ

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I use 33 grains of Longshot and 7 1/2's with a AA wad and win 209 primer, Book says about 1550 fps, They kick alittle and don't pattern very well but they get there fast and break targets.

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

For annies I just shoot new Remington Gold Sporting Clay shells. (Nitro 27) sporting clay version. They will reach out and break em from anywhere. We start on the 27 yard line then move back to the parking area which is probably 45 yards back. Those Nitro Golds will break em back there whether it is the first shot or the 4th shot.

I used to shoot 1-1/4 ounce of 6 with 33grains of 540. When they quit making 540 I went to Super Field, Herco, etc.... I've found these Nitro Golds will break em as good as any load I can make. Buy a box or 2 of em and try them.

8. poacherjoe

9. djcuda

djcuda Member

I agree with bisi.I shoot the Nitro 27 sporting clay loads.They will break targets from any where you want and they are mild on recoil.Then reload with your favorite load.
    Dave

10. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Longshot is popular for these loads now but it needs to be buffered to pattern well.Try 32 grs. Longshot with the waa12 in an AA hull.1 and 1/16oz. shot with a 1/16th buffer.6's or 5's work best.Hs-6 or the old 540 works well with 11/8 loads also.

11. dfm

dfm Member

Federal/Estate paper base hull
    CCI 209M primer
    22.5grns. Universal Clays
    Federal 12S4 wad
    1 1/4oz. West Coast #6 shot
    1220fps

This is a soft shooting, excellent patterning, very hard hitting reload for long range shoots in very cold weather. The CCI 209M is a particle type primer in that it actually injects small bits of hot metal, along with the flame, to promote powder ignition. Great when the temps are in the -20's. You need 6's to break the angles when targets are hard due to the cold.

12. chrisg

chrisg Member

Remington STS hull, 29.5 grains of Winchester Super Field, WAA12F114 Yellow wad, 1 1/4 oz. #6 magnum shot. Winchester primer. this load will destroy targets at as far back as you want.

13. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Uh, hate to rain on the Sporting Nitro's parade, but while a fine shell for 27 to 35 yards back, when you get a 60 plus yard shot, then it's time for the roman candles. I have had more than a few guys get mad because I use (and break) them far back with something really heavy...hey, anything goes in a annie or turkey shoot. The old saying of "don't bring a knife to a gun fight" applies.
    BTW, if you think the Nitro's will break a target consistantly past 60 yards, just hang one on a string (narrow edge side facing you) and see how many hits won't break it.

14. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Man you guys are going the wrong way!!! If you want something to break targets consistanty at long distances with less recoil than a 2 3/4 dram shell, try this:

1 1/2 #4's

The short red Winchester wad

17-18 grains of Longshot

Federal or Chedite primer

This will absolutely smash targets way out and are not slow enough to cause other people to shoot in.

Of course there is no loading data for this, but I have never seen any pressure related problems with this load.

15. poacherjoe

16. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Page 143 of the Hodgdon's 2007 book lists 1 1/8 loads up to 1585 FPS with Longshot. It is loud (even more so with a ported barrel) and it does throw a flame (which tips off the other shooters). Longshot is great for putting strikes on others shooters. Last weeks pondo, Longshot and a 28" barrel with a modified choke on a 3901rl Beretta, and it beat some expensive guns. They were not happy. ROFL. Tell the other shooters: It is a published recipe, I just looked up "Piss off the other shooters and found the FPS of FLAME THROWER and I sat down and loaded them". Nobody crowds you at the line. PRICELESS

17. poacherjoe

Thanks Jimmy; Does that old manual show anything using WW209 primer and the powders that I mentioned above?A friend of mine is going to give me some "Longshot" to try. The nickle plated shot and buffer sounds good but I have never seen any published data on the exact amount of buffer that would be safe to use.If anyone on this sight has Tom Rosters book about using buffer that would also be a +++.I am a bit leary of the buffer because of the pressure increase. Omaha I have a 391 that will pick up the recoil on your flame thrower load.I had some old super X loads that shot out confetti that also threw the other shooters off!!Thanks PJ

18. peavine

peavine TS Member

I have Tom Roster's book with the buffered reloads. I will look this evening when I get home and post my favorite recipe. Jonathan Taylor

19. poacherjoe

20. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Federal Gold Medal hull, u-pick the primer, 800X, Downrange DRA-12-yellow wad, 1 1/4 oz of 5's

This combination is soft recoiling as heavy loads go.

The Downrange wad provides superior perfomance due to its extra long shot-cup and its over-sized over-powder cup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best long shot load for annies

content

tom roster buffered lead
tom roster buffered load data
tom roster buffered loads
tom roster load data
tom roster reloading

tom roster reloading manual