1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Annie Oakley's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Annie Oakley

When shooting Annies, lets say first guy misses, second guy misses, where do you hold on the target for the third shot if everyone shoots timely???

2. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Jim,It all depends on the distance you are shooting 27,40,60 yards and even further back and the speed of your shells. Nothing will beat experience and practice at different ranges.

3. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

It would be fair to assume that the time between the the 1st. shooter and the 2nd. shooters engagement of this target...it has peaked and the third shot will be one of a falling target....with that said..Third shot will need to be placed Well below falling target. just my 2 cents, on a game that truly miss playing.

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If you are using a flat shooting gun, you may not have to hold very low for the 3rd shot, as the bird begins to fall quicker (4th and 5th shots) you will have to hold a little lower. remember that the shot is falling also (there were some charts on here some time back that would show how far shot would drop vs distance and initial velocity) good luck and remember that retained velocity is what breaks birds at distance. go to #6 & #5 size shot as you move back

Bob

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot at a club that shots games exclusivly and I see many 3rd & 4th shots before the target begins to fall. I just track it like always and usually are ahead and high of it until is is falling and then it is all guess work

6. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

That's the Great thing about the Game....Winners and Losers...Everbody learns what works for them...You have too Lose some ..long before you Win some.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Generally, you need to hold under falling targets. Keep your eyes on the bird, not the bead. Remember to keep swinging and don't try to aim the gun. On hard angle birds, you may need to lead or get ahead of the bird or increase the speed of your swing. If you stop your swing, you will probably miss.

If you get way, way back on uneven ground, be sure to obtain as good a footing as possible. Beready for very hard right and left hand birds.

You need to "pay your dues" and to learn what works for you. You would be surprised at the range a Nitro 27 7 1/2 will break a target, even on the 4th shot.
    It really helps to have a load that works for you in which you have confidence. I like 1 1/4 oz of 5's, 6's or 7's at 1250 fps. The ultra high speed and high recoil loads do not do it for me.

Ed Ward

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

We don't allow that funny stuff where we shoot! AA hdcp 7.5 max loads allowed. They still break 4s & 5s. Start at 27 yds, move back when down to 5 shooters.

9. robertb

robertb TS Member

Usually annies are shot from the 27.Each club has it's own rules on loads/shot/shell switching etc.Often,shooters use huge second/third gun loads ...1 1/4,1 3/8 oz of 35-38gr of Blue Dot or 33-35 gr of Long shot and other slow powers.As most on this sight will agree ,these big loads are not necessary.A falling target is usually engaged by shooting "under" the target.Some claim to shoot as much as 4-6 ft under the bird on late third and fourth gun targets.Obviously,this varies with each shooter's technique.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

This will take a self acquired skill that you develop. You can get some practice by by shooting 27 yard targets and riding them out to where they would be after being missed by the previous 2 or 3 shooters.

I load several shells for this but all contain LONGSHOT, I prefer #6 shot
    a shell at 1400 fps on average 32 grains Longshot 1 1/8th oz #6s w/ Windjammer,
    in a AA Super Hdcp Hull, Rio Primer.

I also use an Activ Hull w/ 1 1/4oz #6s Windjammer wad, Rio Primer, 38.5 Grs Longshot 10,100psi 1585 fps. This shell is for the guys that like to ride the target out hoping if he misses so you will too and not put him out. There are some shooters out there that do this.

I always have 25 of these in the trunk of the car.

These loads are also good for long range Miss & Outs or Kentucky Shoots.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Longshot: I don't like the recoil of the 1 and 1/4 oz loads but you make a very good point about the speed of the shell when you have a known "RIDER" standing next to you!!!The lead won't need to be much compared to a 1300 fps load. I will try this one out today.PJ

12. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Well after shoting the Games after all theses years Ive learned one thing,Look at the bird not the beads and Take your time on All back ups ...Euro Joe is right about one thing 7 1/2 1 1/4 hit them way out there just fine ...Remember one other thing the faster that shell is going its bound to have holes in the pattern. ....Chuck from Maywood

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

1 and 1/8th Chuck !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.