1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Annie Oakley's trapgun ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doorknee, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doorknee

Doorknee TS Member

Annie Oakley

My wife said she saw on local TV (So Cal) that Annie Oakley's gun was sold at auction for $149,000.00. Does any one know if it went to a private party or to a museum? Would be very nice if it was in the Trapshooters Hall of Fame!
    Don D.
  2. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb Member

According to the article it went to a private collector

Doug
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What kind of gun was it? Model 12?
  4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Active Member

Matt, I don't think she shot a model 12? She also shot a Parker sbt I think an SC.
  5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ahh Parker. Good name. I had no idea what she shot but I bet that gun or her guns could tell some stories.
  6. Setterman

Setterman Active Member

It was in our local paper today. They sold two of her Marlin .22's as well. One went for $71,700 and other went for $83,650.
  7. slide action

slide action Active Member

Annie shot mostly live pigeons back when the ATA was called by another name. She shot some clay targets but was best know as a live bird shooter. As a young woman she was very beautiful,but, like all of us old age took a toll on her. In books I have read her favorite "trap gun" was a 16 ga. Side by Side. Her shooting accomplishments are legendary! She was a devout Christian Woman who helped orphan childrens charities and in her later years she gave most of her fortune to Charity. Both She and her Husband "Frank Butler" died in 1926.
  8. b12

b12 Active Member

Slide, I have read many books about Annie. And yes she was a womans, woman. Very religious. And her favor shotgun was a 16 gauge. She never had much use for the bigger gauges. She was a small woman. bill
  9. eightbore

eightbore Active Member

Frank worked the road for Parker, although Parker didn't use Annie in their advertising. Many Parkers are attributed to the two of them, the one that just sold was made for Frank, not Annie. A list of Parkers attributed to them is posted by serial number in "The Parker Story". She became an advocate for light Lancaster guns when Charles Lancaster built her at least one pair of six pound 12 gauges, probably gratis. I only guess they were gratis because many pictures show her holding or shooting British sidelock guns rather than her Parkers. She participated in many competitive events including the Grand American. Use the search function on the LA84 Foundation website to look at many references to her shooting participation in pre 1915 outdoor publications.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.