1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Annie Oakley event questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by walleyeman, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walleyeman

walleyeman TS Member

I am looking to have an Annie Oakley trap event at our club. I have some questions though.

1. How many shells on average should I tell eveyone to take to the line?
    2. Does the event go until only one shooter is left?

We will probably have a full squad but only limit the round to 3 shooters, ie: #1 shoots(misses), then #2 shoots(misses), then #3 shoots(regardless if he hits or misses #4 does not shoot). The second round would start with shooter #2 starting then going to #3 and #4 if needed etc

Anything to help me would be great.

2. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

shot a ton of them. depending on the ability of shooter and the buy backs you have if you are in to the end you could easily go thru a box of shells

3. walleyeman

walleyeman TS Member

We probably would not have any money involved, just thought that it would make a nice change of pace at ouir club from time to time. There is only 4 of us that are regulars and another 3 that show up sporadicly. Although it would be fun to throw in 2 bucks, winner gets all.

Do you think there would ever be a need to have more than a box of shells on the line?

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Whats a "Full Squad" on Annies, we used to have 25/30 shooters lined up shoulder to shoulder across the 27 yardline or back beyond it to get all of the shooters in ... You can make the number of shots anything you want it to be but we always shot if it was still in the air and not hit, no matter how many shot before us ... I found that after the first few shooters is was usually luck if anyone broke the target any way, but it happened so some of those guys were really lucky ... I would take a box of shells to the line and go and get more if or when I needed them ... We all usually had our shooting bags right there loaded with shells for the nights shooting anyway ... They can be a lot of fun if done right ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. walleyeman

walleyeman TS Member

Our club is small, so at most there would be 6 or 7 shooters. I thought that this could be a fun way to end the night. I never thought about yardage, good point. With our small numbers would 16yds be okay or should we back it up a bit?

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Each shooter should have a box of shells to start.

I don't know why you would play this game if there were no money of prize involved. $5 buy in is reasonable and the winning shooter splits the pot with the house. The winner is the shooter that didn't get put out - there is only one.

You need to shoot from at least the 27 yard line to make it interesting and don't limit the number of guns that may shoot. (otherwise the game gets boring real quick)

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

We do it from at least the 27 with a $5 per shooter entry and no buy backs. It's 4 guns up, if none of the 4 break the target then the next shooter has his turn. If say shooter #3 breaks the target then shooters 1 & 2 go to the end of the line. Two times to the end of the line and you're gone. Last man standing gets the pot. With 15-20 shooters playing the payout can be quite nice.

Eric

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have seen all shooters line up on the field but only 3 load. It then goes down the line.

The second way I have seen them do it is only three shooters go on to the field. Say stations 1, 3, and 5. After they shoot station 1 leaves and 3 goes to 1 and 5 goes to 3.

Take a full box of shells and keep another box close by.

Shooter 1 and 2 have to shoot. Shooter 3 may or may not shoot if he wants to. Shooter 1 breaks the target and 2 shoots, 2 is out. If 1 shoots and hits and 2 and 3 shoot they are both out. If shooter 1 shoots and misses and 2 hits shooter 1 is out. If shooter 1 and 2 miss and 3 hits 1 and 2 are out. If all shoot and miss they are all safe and stay in.

At our club we all pay $1.00.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

With only 6 or 7 shooters you'd be better of having a "Dove Shoot", thats where you start on the trap next to the one you are shooting off of then to the posts on the trap you are shooting off of, then to the trap to the right of the trap you are shooting off of ... They are shot from the 27 yard posts on all the fields unless you decide to move forward to another post but you shoot that post at all the fields you shoot on ... The one who gets the farthest before running out of a box of shells gets the POT ...

With 6 or 7 shooter you can shoot a 5 for $5, step back beyond the 27 yardline to say 30, 35, 40 yards, each shooter shoots at 5 targets and who ever hits the most from there gets the money after the club is paid ... (each person puts in $5.00) Have fun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

We used to shoot from a flag pole approx 48 yards behind the trap, makes it more challenging the farther back you go ...

10. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

The more the better. It's not unusual to go through 2-3 boxes if there are a lot of shooters, and depending on how long you can stay in it and how long your shoot-off lasts with the last two shooters. We always shoot right behind the 27 and many times will move further back into the parking lot or weeds. It's way more fun than shooting regular trap if you ask me! Have fun!

11. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Our club is $2. All go to line, 3 load. No buy backs, you are out when you shoot out of turn, or the shooter to your right hits a bird you missed. Wait until next game to get back in for $2. Good shooters go through a box or more if they stay until the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.