1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Annie Load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jerryw, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

While digging through some stuff in the storeroom, I came across a bag of Remington RP-12 wads 3 1/4 Dram 1 1/4 oz.

I found a recipe on Alliant's website for Win AA hulls, W-209 primer, 22.5 grains of Unique powder, Remington RP-12 wad. Velocity 1,220, pressure 9,500.

Would this make a good annie load for the times when you move way left or way right of the pad and make those looooong shots?

If so what would be the best shot size to use?

Thanks

Jerry Walker

2. abiezer

abiezer Guest

That would work ok,
    i prefer herco however.
    #7 or #7 1/2 will work.
    #6 for 3rd,4th gun.
    I usually stick with 1 1/8 at 1250-1300 out to about the 35 yd line
    for 1st gun,but like 1 1/4 oz of #6 or #7 for 3 and 4.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

7625 or 800x

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I prefer my back-up shells have a bit more speed. Try using one of the Blue Dot recipies found on Alliant's site. Get the speed up around 1300 fps and use 6's. This will break them as far as you can see.

Herco isn't a bad powder either.

ec90t

5. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Thanks for the replies. The reason I was talking about unique was I have that,Green Dot, and Solo 1000. I was wanting to use something I have as I don't need too many of these shells. Just for those special occasions. My usual Annie load from the 27 yd line is Gray AA hull, 21.5 grains of Green Dot, WT-12 wad, W-209 primer

Jerry Walker

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jerry:

The load you inquired about, 1 1/4 oz. @ 1220 fps, is a good load at distance. I use Herco and Blue Dot but Unique will work also. Years ago, I bought 4 bags of # 7 shot by mistake, thinking that it was 7 1/2, and used it up on games. It worked fine and I have purchased more of it.

Size 6 shot will get you a little more retained velocity which may be important when you move way, way out to the right or left.

Whatever you use, and 6's may be your best bet, you need to break targets with the load to gain the confidence that it will work.

If you use it correctly, a 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 - 7 1/2, will break a lot of long distance targets, especially in the summer.

If you want more velocity, you should move up to Herco. I suggest that you buy a 1 # container before you buy a larger container.

As you move into velocities over 1220fps, you may experience significantly more recoil.

IMO, as you get further out to the side, you really need to pick up your timing and keep on swinging.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have used the same load, but with 23 gr Unique. Great load, lacking in the punishing SNAP most heavy loads have. If club rules do not prohibit, 6's are a good choice.

This is a FANTASTIC field load.

8. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Thanks, for the responses. I will get some 6's and try this load. Our little

club, shoot's Annies after league. It is mostly for fun, and "Bragging

Rights" very little money involved.

school_teacher you are right about the timing and keep swinging. Sometime I catch myself stopping the gun on these kind of shots.

Jerry Walker

9. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Shoot your same old green dot annie load with 6's. You don't need boomers to break longer targets, just a little more retained energy and 6's will get you that. Stand back and watch the guys who are shooting the magnum loads, it's impressive when they smoke that long 4th or 5th at 110 yards but they can't do it consistantly because most of them will wear down as a shooting session goes on. Recoil will take it's toll on everyone, some of us handle it better than others but, it takes it toll. Most of the time those loads will cause flinches and head lifting or just body fatigue. I'm sure someone will chime in and say you need the heavies to get the job done but it's just not true. I shoot annies at several clubs where we'll end up 70-75 yards from the house and most of the guys are shooting 1 1/8 of 6's or 5's under 1300fps and lots of 3-4 shot are broken and hits are solid. I like 22 grains of green dot in a federal gold metal hull with 12s3 wad and federal primer or 18.5 grs of nitro 100 in a federal hull with fed 12s3 and federal primer

pumpgunner

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"I like 22 grains of green dot in a federal gold metal hull with 12s3 wad and federal primer"

pumpgunner

With an 1-1/8 load of hard 6s, the above shell will surprise you how it can break longer targets! I've used that load with good results many times! Hap

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

22 grains of Green dot with an OLD Federal 209 and a 12c1 or the claybuster Red 8. Put it in a Federal paper and I can hang with just about anybody as long as I use hard West Coast #6 shot. Nobody breaks them every time at long yardage,not even the boys with the boomers. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.