1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Annealing Rifle Cases

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brdslayr, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Do it yourself, its easy. PM me if you'd like to know how I do my 45-100's and 40-65's. JW

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

When I was making 7mm TCU cases out of .223, I anealed quite a few cases. My simple proceedure was to hold the base of the case in one of those 4 finger pick up tools and rotate the neck in a propane torch flame. Sitting in a darkened room, as soon as the brass takes a slight redish glow, I dropped it in a bucket of water. Pretty easy

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Find an old record turntable, put a pie plate half full of water. Start the turntable on the slowest speed possible. Place a case in the center, heat with a torch until red, then tip it over into the water. The spinning turtable will heat the case all the way around and when tipped over cause the cases to move to the outer edge of the pie plate. That's how I did it when I shot benchrest.

4. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

I just rotate the case in one hand and hold the torch with the other. When you see the red starting to show on the brass, drop it in the bucket of water. Believe me, you can't get the brass too hot this way. JW

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Leo, when I bought my 7mmT/CU Contender barrel back in the 80s, I bought 100 rounds of Federal military .223 loads and just fired them in the T/CU barrel. Almost 30 years later, all 100 are still in service with no annealing.

Ed

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

7 TCU: So easy to make, sure put the Herret (sp?) out of business!

7. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Maybe a dumb question what does process really do? Does it make the life that much longer that you can afford more brass? Not trying to be a smart ass but is it worth the trouble?
    Chris

8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Annealing the rifle case will make the brass softer through the shoulder,and neck area.This will extend the case life significantly.**Note** DO NOT heat the head of the case as this could cause a disastrous(explosive)situation for you and your rifle.

D.P.Reynolds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.