1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANIB ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have been advised by one trap shooter that since all trap guns last a half-million rounds or more before serious maintenance...

That any trap gun with less than 10,000 registered rounds through it should still be considered "ANIB", i.e., As New In the Box.

Thoughts ?

Hammer

2. rd

rd TS Member

"as new in box" means just that- it should not have been fired, and it should only have been opened or had the action worked just a few times. Any blueing wear or handling marks mean it is not anib.

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

ANIB means unfired to me....I only list guns as ANIB if they are unfired. If the gun i am selling has been fired very little (subject to interpretation), I will say it is "like new" or "excellent plus condition" and tell how many (or estimate) rounds I have shot through it...

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

What about LNIB (Like new in box). This might be more accurate. It is like new, but you have the box? I think this is why guns are rated in percentages and not what the seller believes what condition the gun is in.

Bryan

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Kinda sounds like whomever advised you must be taking lessons from Bill Clinton...

"I did not have sex with that woman".....

Gotta be one of the best one liners of all time!!

10,000 rounds = ANIB........Hahahaha!!

Curt

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

So non registered rounds don't count? If so I got several ANIB shotguns. WAHOOOO

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Can we have his/her name so we know to NEVER buy anything from them? Thats a little different than a salesmans BS. Thats an outright " LIE".

Matt

8. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

AYKM = Are You Kidding Me

Ed Yanchok

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

In the industry, ANIB is just that. If a dealer takes a new gun to the range, shoots several mags through it, cleans it and puts it back in the rack, it is considered and marked ANIB.

No one can get an unfired firearm. They have ALL been test-fired at LEAST once, often more.

Most gun makers, including Smith & Wesson, take samples off the line and shoot about a box of ammo through them. They do NOT clean them. Ironically, these are the ones a shooter wants. These guns are perfect, or they are not put back on the line.

Our shop gets guns that were assembled and put on a table at industry shows, then re-boxed and sold at a discount. Most of them have not been fired, none have been sold. They are considered ANIB

The idea of an unfired gun can be carried too far. A while back, I posted a Smith revolver on the S&W forum. It was stainless, and had not been cleaned after shooting about 300 rounds. I got several messages asking what was wrong with the cylinder, and had it been TIN coated.

My sarcastic answer was, "for those of you who do not shoot the firearms you collect, the gun is DIRTY. The new buyer, who hopefully actually shoots his guns, can clean it. "

A shooter bought it. Several folks could not understand that the gun simply needed cleaning, and thought something was wrong with it.

A true story. LOL

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

how about this....ANIB = unfired by anyone except from the manufacturer

yes, manufacturers do test fire their weapons but they don't put several hundred rounds down range in a test fire either and try to play off the gun as "new in box"

11. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

I would conside less than 100 rounds acceptable. Anything more than that should be openly marketed as a used firearm and priced accordingly. 10,000 rounds is rediculous and the seller should be ashamed.

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a comment by a former girlfriend who said..."Technically speaking, I was a virgin when I got married...!" Regards, Ed

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Smith & Wesson, among other makers, does indeed pull guns off the line and shoot a number of rounds through them, then put them back on the line without cleaning them. I bought a 625 Smith that was like this, directly from a major distributor in a sealed box. It was filthy! Thinking I had gotten a used gun, I called the distributor, then the factory, and got this info from them.

I used this arm in competition and won so many matches and club championships with it, I wish all my guns had been checked out like that one had.

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Shooting coach....I used to believe that all guns were test fired before leaving their respective factories but I no longer do. We have, in the last couple years, received several guns from several manufacturers which would not fire, could not fire, and could not have been made to fire without serious work. All were returned to their particular manufacturer for "warranty" repair. Some of these clowns don't even provide shipping to return their faulty crap. Ship one both ways and it eats into a modest profit.

About forty years ago I ordered and delivered to my boss at the time a pair of Savage single shot shotguns, both of which would not fire...both had firing pins too short to reach the primers. He gave them to his twins and took them hunting over the holidays. Was not happy.

We got a 9mm handgun a while back, included with it was the "sample" shell that goes to police departments in some states, but the gun was totally spotless and had NO RIFLING. Checking the slide, barrel, extractor and firing pin showed no evidence of brass, aluminum or steel from a case.

Interesting, eh?

Anyone else had similar experiences? Makes you wonder if the S&W folks from the seventies moved to other companies.

15. davnport

davnport Member

Coach:

Would you share the method and product needed to clean the cylinder face of a stainless M64? Mine is always "dirty".

Carl Davenport

16. Erik W

Erik W Member

Agree with Pat on this. LNIB or ANIB is secondary sale of 100% new and unused gun. Next click down is 98% at best.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

How would you describe a moderately used trap gun in a new box?

Pat Ireland

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Curt, That answer is a classic and one of the best I have seen. I nominate it for best answer to a thread for 2010. LMAO

19. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I just unplug my Registered Round Counter at 9999. It will stay ANIB forever. What about unregistered rounds?? I don't have a round counter for them.

Wayne

20. crusha

crusha TS Member

Savage99,

Can you elaborate on the "sample shell that goes to police departments in some states"...? I'd not heard of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.