1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Angle of throw plate ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Straight99, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I am in charge of setting the angles on the Pat traps for our club. About half of the ATA members are mad because they say the birds are not high enough. The other half say they are to high. I have set them at 9 1/2 feet high, 10 yards in front of the machine and they hit the 50 yard stake. I have been told other ATA clubs set a higher bird. I bought a digital angle guage to try to set the machines. My question is, What is the proper angle of the throw plate on a Pat trap ? Please help me befor we have a mutiny.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Rule Book Section XIII, E.:

"... Targets shall be between 8 feet and 10 feet high, when 10 yards from Point B. The recommended height is 9 or 9 1/2 feet. ..."

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Can you increase the angle of the plate and lower the elevation so the target stays at 9 1/2 feet? That way they will see more of the target's face instead of shooting at the edge of the target. That might make them happy. HMB

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

On the Star Traps the angle is 22 Degree's. On the PatTrap for doubles I think if I remember right is 24 degree's. Again I might be off.

I went to Ebays and got a PROTRACTOR with a dial and a needle. Its is the best to use for setting the thrower. I will post a pic of what I have as soon as I get one.

5. Auctioneer

Here is what I have to set the angles per ATA event. I will be getting a radar gun at some point. Another shooter has one but I would like my own so if he doesn't show up I can still set the speed correctly. Hope this helps.
    auctioneer_2009_0507168.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507169.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507170.jpg

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Good looking tool. Would a digital level do the same? Auctioneer, try and get a Pro Speed or better for speed, they're worth the extra money.

7. Auctioneer

I looked at the digital ones but I don't know what is good and what isn't. How fragle are they? If the battery dies your screwed if you don't have another one. Cold will harm the battery.

With the one I have there are no batteries, its built like a tank. I will look at what you listed above. Thanks

8. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

Roger C: Finally someone understands, if you set by ata rules(height and speed) Your amount of FACE is SET! Kirk

9. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Second what Roger C says. Cannot please everybody, and you are throwing targerts according to ATA Guidlines. There are shooters who just like higher targets, whether they are trap targets or shooting waterfowl or upland birds and some who like low straight aways.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Good Lord.

Use a T bar and a stake, or if you must, a Radar gun, although their only use in my opinion is to set targets in a headwind.

drive steel pipes in the ground to stick out 2 feet, and make them uniform with a transit.

Make the T bar to slide over the pipe and drive a roll pin in it to set the 9 feet high measurement.

The angle of the plate does not mean anything unless your pedestals are all perfect.

If you want to show more face you could lower the machines but then your point B would be off.

Good targets are an art, and easy targets are not necessariy good targets. good targets are uniform from trap to trap and should be set to ATA specs.

HM

11. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

20 degrees for singles and 23 degrees for doubles....67 fps for singles and 76 fps for doubles..

I think they are the correct angles and speeds...for a pat trap...

and I would imagine for all machines...

12. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Halfmile
    I do everything you have said. I have the stakes, the T bar and a radar gun. I set the traps every weak, just to be on the safe side. I still get the complaints. Not fron the league shooters, but from the guys that shoot ATA all over the country. They have even watched me set the machines and still complain about the height. They are a small group but, spend the most money and are the most vocal. I do not want to loose them. Thank You

13. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Sears makes a small digital level that just so happens to fit right in between the plate the targets sits on and the lower plate of the turret on a PAT-Trap. Cheap and reliable. Just remember to make sure it is set in perpendicular to the front edge of the plates. Around 21.1 degrees is where we set them 9 1/2 feet. There will be some variance from trap to trap, less than .5 degrees.
    This level also has a magnet top you could hang it on the bottom of the plate.
    Just remember to remove the level before you throw a target! :)
    As someone else stated, 24 degrees for doubles.

Tim

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

OK, straight99. I now see the problem you have, and I have a solution for you.

Move the distance stakes out 2-3 feet and throw the targets short.

I would wager you will get compliments.

Puppy targets have been all the rage for the last 15 years. 2 hole weakass targets so the crybabies can keep their average up.

Clubs have been doing this to attract shooters for years. Scores are higher but the same guys win. It's a delusion, but it persists.

HM

15. Auctioneer

At one club that I go to they have a 4 x 4 platform out at 50 yards but heres the kicker. Because of the lay out of the land that platform is 14 to 15 feet up in the air just to be level to the trap. Some clubs have a flat field to work with and others do not.

I saw a great trap field that looked over the ocean. Everything went over the cliff that was there. Try going out 50 yards there. Watch that first step. LOL.

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Here's a better solution, show them the Rule Book.

Most people don't know that the rule for target height was changed (lowered) a few years ago.

Here's another one that will blow their mind, the height requirement for doubles targets is the same as for singles.

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

There is a reason you are supposed to measure height, not angles. IF you have the throwing arm pretty close to the level of the pad on post 3, AND you are measuring height at 10 yards out starting at a base level with the throwing arm and post 3, THEN any other trapfield with similar setup will be pretty close in height using your angle.

Problem is most fields differ to some extent with this setup, and in that case the angle will differ from trap to trap even though the height at 10 yards may be the same. IF everyone threw targets based on just an angle setting, target height would be all over the place since not all trap fields are created equal.

You should set a good target, then you can measure whatever that angle is on that trap and use it for reference in the future, for THAT trap.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In perect conditions with a properly mounted Pat trap, 22 degrees on the throwing deck will get you pretty close - but as mentioned above this is not how you set targets. What you are currently doing with the bar and the 50 yard marker is correct.

Now if you should figure out a method that makes everybody happy please let me know! I have yet to find that elusive perfect set.

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The correct angle of the plate will vary depending on wind conditions, that's why they make it so easy to adjust.

20. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

How can throwing a target to the 50yd stake be of value unless there is NO WIND. Throwing 50yds against a headwind will require a much faster bird than throwing with a tail wind or sidewind. Was not the intent of the radar gun readings to measure bird speed BEFORE wind can have much of an effect? Years ago, before radar guns, if you threw a 50yd bird against a strong headwind it would come out of the house so fast it was a blur while tailwind 50yd birds just floated out of the house. Has that observation changed? Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.