1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Angioplasty/Stent, How Long to Shoot Again?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by prairiedog, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Coronary artery disease finally caught up with me. I go in next week for a heart catheterization. Depending on what they find, angioplasty or stent procedures may have to be done. For those of you that have already had this done, what did the docs say about how long it would be before you could shoot? Not asking anyone to practice medicine without a license, just wanted some idea of how long my shooting activities might be curtailed/postponed.

2. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Flbuck,

I've seen two doctors in the past two weeks regarding C.A.D. and my chest pains. Been to the local hospital for chest x-rays, EKG, and blood work required prior to the heart cath. Made arrangements to have my two dogs taken care of while I'm in the hospital (100 miles away) for (possibly) two days. Trying to juggle work with all the doctor visits, etc. The next time I see a doctor, he'll be performing the heart catheterization. When I saw the first two doctors, I was more concerned about finding out what was wrong, what needed to be done to fix it, and how I was going to pay what my insurance didn't, than I was about how it might affect my shooting activities in the future. But hey, that's just me. I'm glad that you are so squared away that you would do everything right the first time.

3. Bridger

Bridger Member

Do you really want to rely on what someone here would tell you? I hope your procedure goes well but the only on who can talk to you about this with any certainty is your doctor.

4. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I had three stents put in a year ago. The said doctor not to shoot for at least one month and to get a Browning vest with the gel pad. He did not want me to bruse because of the plavix I had to take for a year. That is my Doctor not yours so ask and follow his orders.

5. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Bridger, try rereading my initial post. I'm not asking for medical advice, just asking what timeframe I could reasonably expect to be sidelined for. I expect many trapshooters posting on this website have had angioplasty/stents done and know how long they were told to lay off shooting. If you read anything more into my question than that, you are reaching.

6. kriegazzi

kriegazzi TS Member

I've had 5 angioplasties nad 4 stents put in. 2-4 weeks

7. andybull

andybull Active Member

From my own experience. Doc said I could go ahead and shoot about three weeks after my stent, I did. The area where the procedure was performed swelled up the size of a lemon cut in half. I guess I attributed it to having too many blood thinners still in my system.

Ask your doctor and wait.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I had stints (twice) put in on a Friday and I went to work on Monday and shot the following Sunday both times. I take plavix and don't bruise from the recoil.

Still ask your Dr. as circumstances vary. Good Luck with your procedure.

Bill

9. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Thanks Kriegazzi and Texas Yankee, for a straight up answer to my question. It looks like I might be able to practice for and shoot in my state shoot this May unless the docs find some other problem(s).

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had a coronary stent installed in 2004 and my doctor asked me to not shoot for a week or so but since I'm right-handed, he said it should pose no problem. I started taking Plavix (along with a handful of other meds) then and still do.

Ed

11. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Coronary artery disease finally caught up with me. I go in next week for a heart catheterization. Depending on what they find, angioplasty or stent procedures may have to be done. For those of you that have already had this done, what did the docs say about how long it would be before you could shoot? Not asking anyone to practice medicine without a license, just wanted some idea of how long my shooting activities might be curtailed/postponed.

12. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Flbuck,

I've seen two doctors in the past two weeks regarding C.A.D. and my chest pains. Been to the local hospital for chest x-rays, EKG, and blood work required prior to the heart cath. Made arrangements to have my two dogs taken care of while I'm in the hospital (100 miles away) for (possibly) two days. Trying to juggle work with all the doctor visits, etc. The next time I see a doctor, he'll be performing the heart catheterization. When I saw the first two doctors, I was more concerned about finding out what was wrong, what needed to be done to fix it, and how I was going to pay what my insurance didn't, than I was about how it might affect my shooting activities in the future. But hey, that's just me. I'm glad that you are so squared away that you would do everything right the first time.

13. Bridger

Bridger Member

Do you really want to rely on what someone here would tell you? I hope your procedure goes well but the only on who can talk to you about this with any certainty is your doctor.

14. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I had three stents put in a year ago. The said doctor not to shoot for at least one month and to get a Browning vest with the gel pad. He did not want me to bruse because of the plavix I had to take for a year. That is my Doctor not yours so ask and follow his orders.

15. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Bridger, try rereading my initial post. I'm not asking for medical advice, just asking what timeframe I could reasonably expect to be sidelined for. I expect many trapshooters posting on this website have had angioplasty/stents done and know how long they were told to lay off shooting. If you read anything more into my question than that, you are reaching.

16. kriegazzi

kriegazzi TS Member

I've had 5 angioplasties nad 4 stents put in. 2-4 weeks

17. andybull

andybull Active Member

From my own experience. Doc said I could go ahead and shoot about three weeks after my stent, I did. The area where the procedure was performed swelled up the size of a lemon cut in half. I guess I attributed it to having too many blood thinners still in my system.

Ask your doctor and wait.

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I had stints (twice) put in on a Friday and I went to work on Monday and shot the following Sunday both times. I take plavix and don't bruise from the recoil.

Still ask your Dr. as circumstances vary. Good Luck with your procedure.

Bill

19. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Thanks Kriegazzi and Texas Yankee, for a straight up answer to my question. It looks like I might be able to practice for and shoot in my state shoot this May unless the docs find some other problem(s).

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had a coronary stent installed in 2004 and my doctor asked me to not shoot for a week or so but since I'm right-handed, he said it should pose no problem. I started taking Plavix (along with a handful of other meds) then and still do.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you shoot shoguns after a stentbprocedure