1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Andys gunsmith shop

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pivot 3, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pivot 3

Pivot 3 TS Member

Has anybody had trouble with Andys in Utica New York. I have been trying to contact him for 2 months and no answer. Today his phone is disconnected. He has a 42 barrel that I sent him in October.

2. jrmb

jrmb TS Member

Guys I would pay him a visit, there's something wrong there.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Before you go that route might I make a possible suggestion ...

Why not contact the local trap and skeet clubs and see if they might know of a possible business or medical problem he might be having. Ya never know maybe one of them might even do another trap shooter a favor and swing by his place and knock on his door for you.

Ya just never know and if you need to get legal representation possibly one of the local clubs might be able to direct you to a local attorney that could help you out as well.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ok ... you and others have been calling and calling and calling and filled his voice mail capacity. You have sent him e-mail after e-mail after e-mail and not gotten a response. You sent him a fax ... big deal the paper is laying on the floor or so many have sent him faxes your fax is in the machines memory.

That is all mute points if Andy is sick and in the hospital or possibly out of town because of a family emergency and depending on the emergency could be far more important than you.

I understand your pissed and upset but dang give the guy a break ... even you said his father has recently passed away and that is a very hard thing for some to handle. Sometimes a little compassion can get you much farther than calling the cops and scream theft and fraud.

Contact some of the local gun shops that might know him and the local gun clubs in Utica ... ya never know ... our sport is not all that large and there are those out there who could possibly help you or get you the info your looking for.

5. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Dan & skeet ,

I see no harm to Andy's in contacting the CoC or the BBB or the local police -- but the first two seem more appropriate .

Another thought , consider doing a "reverse phone number" search using some address close to Andy's and call one of his neighbors .

Charlie

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Here's some info I received from others on another website. If more gets added, I'll post it.

Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Doug: It's been about 6 months since I've talked with Andy. I know about a year ago, he was really sick from "lead poisoning" from the shop. Plus he does have a bad kidney.

I've heard a lot of the same things you have, nobody can get a hold of him.

Hopefully, someone in up-state NY can drop in and find out what the story is. I know I sure would like to know.

Regards Dave

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:21 pm Post subject: re: Andy's Custom Shop

I am sure there are members closer than I am to the shop,. I live in Rochester so it is a bit of a trip for me. Keep this thread going as I am sure there are Utica, NY members on here that can check.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:40 pm Post subject: re: Andy's Custom Shop

I talked and visited with Andy this past weekend. He has been sick and from what I gather it's tied into his kidney probs.

He's been working at the bench as much as he's able to and quite a few times more than he probably should given his health. He's taken on a guy to help with the phones and such just so he CAN be at the bench vs. on the phone. He isn't ignoring people he just sees the work in front of him as his top priority especially given the length of time some jobs have been at his shop. The other thing as far as the phone/e-mail goes is that he trys to catch up through the week at times when barrels are in the rusting process or wood finish is drying and he has a little down time.

One last thing that took the wind out of his sails is that his father passed away in late January and he's been the one who's had to go through all the unplesent business that is related to that event.

I'm in the same boat as others who have projects at his shop in that they have been there for awhile. That being said knowing the situation I know that he'll get my stuff back to me as soon as he possibly can.

I hope this helps to shed some light on things.

7. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Doug how'd you do all this humanitarian work and still get my gun done as promised? they call said it will be delivered 3/30 thank you, money is in the mail already Jon

8. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Doug - thanks...I just came over to post Parris' info and see you have done it already. Hope Andy recovers his health and from his family loss and that everybody is happy with their guns and dealings with Andy. He has earned a good reputation over a long period of time and, I believe, deserves the opportunity to retain that reputation.

Cheers

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Dan..its your gun and you can do what you want, but if I read your posts right you spoke with Andy "in the first part of Mar", which does not sound exactly like Mar 1st, and he indicated a three week lead time...which would be about now. I think you also stated that you have not tried to call him again until the 28th...last Wed.

I don't know what work you are having done, but if you think 7 months is too long to wait, I suggest you avoid custom stock work, custom engraving work, and definitely full restoration work...otherwise you will be on a first name basis with the ATF from calling so much.

Cheers

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Geez ... you've been holding that in for almost 3 months but I'm glad ya got it off your chest ... do ya feel better now?

Did ya get any satisfaction from call the law on the guy? Did ya get your stuff back? What finally happened?

11. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Does anybody have an update on this situation with Andy?

I haven't heard anything.

12. flylta

flylta TS Member

I just read this thread today and I am new to TS.com but the guns that I hold dearest are the guns that came from family members. If it was me I would be getting every law enforcement agency I can involved and secure a good attorney to go after my property and money.

If Andy is in a place where he can't do business in a timely fashion right now, let people know that and give them the option of having THIER property returned and securing another indivdual to complete the needed work. Years of a good reputation can be ruined but this type of information and I for one would consider anyone else first to complete my work.

13. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

anyone received a gun back from him lately ? dan

14. jdwck

jdwck TS Member

I hope whoever has sent thier gun and a deposit to Andy J. Wojtowycz (dba Andy's Custom Shop, aka Andy's Gunsmith Shop) and reads this is sitting down, has a pair of clean underwear and an oxygen tank nearby, because... you've been had.

Taken.
    Hornswaggled.
    Hoodwinked.
    Duped.
    Ripped Off.

Andy has had two of my guns for over 8 months, and after about the same amount of time of trying to reach him by phone, email, fax and letters, none of which he has responded to, I have conducted my own investigation and this is the conclusion;

IMMEDIATLY, DO WHATEVER YOU THINK YOU SHOULD DO TO TRY AND GET YOUR GUN BACK. DON'T WAIT ANOTHER DAY!!

Andy was living off the deposits gun owners sent him, the Ponzi scheme collapsed, and now he is in Big Trouble.

Andy owes thousands in back rent and has been evicted. By the end of this week (07/27/07) the landlord with the Marshall's asststance, will padlock his door, so even if he wanted to, Andy has no way to work on the guns (formerly) in his possession, or generate income to pay back rent or return deposits.

Inside Andy's Custom Shop, aka (Andy's Gunsmith Shop), scattered about, are approximately 80 guns (at least) of all makes models and calibers, many in various stages of disassembly.The only guy who can make heads or tails of it all, does not care, and might go to jail.
    No, let me rephrase that....HE MIGHT GO TO PRISON, NOT JAIL, because for at least a year, Andy has taken guns and thousands of dollars from people and has not returned either, and he won't even give people the RESPECT of returning phone calls, emails faxes or letters.

I don't have to tell you, that the sentimental value of some of these guns is irreplaceable and the monetary value of others is in the thousands.

Guys, some of your guns are going to be gone for along time, or for good because;

1.. As stated above, once the landlord changes the locks on his door, anything in there becomes possession of the landlord, and by law they can throw the contents of the premises out in the street. Of course the landlord won't do that, but he does not have the man power, nor is it his responsibility to catalog and try to return guns to the rightful owners. Because some the guns in there have been reported stolen (what do you do when somebody takes your money and gun, won't return either one, and won't return phone calls, emails faxes or letters, FOR ALMOST A YEAR IN SOME CASES ?), now the ATF enters the picture.
    This gets to be a sticky situation for the landlord, so not wanting to be charged with possession of stolen property, etc. his choices are to turn them over to the Utica police, or the ATF.

2.. If a crime has been committed (interstate fraud, wire fraud, theft, possession of stolen property, etc.) some of the guns might be held as evidence.

3.. Many of these guns are in various stages of disassembly and restoration.

4.. Just as it is with Andy's landlord, I don't think it is high on the ATF's list of priorities to catalog and try to return guns to the rightful owners, besides how easy do you think it will be reverse check a gun that was a gift from a deceased relative, handed down through generations, bought or swapped from a friend with a handshake and no paper?

5.. Andy is being sued by several people.

If he was realy sick, an honest man would know his reputation is at stake and he would have had his wife, girlfriend, sister, brother, friend, hunting buddy, rabbi, etc. whatever, at least make a good faith effort to contact or reply to the people whose money and guns he has, and explain to them that he was sick.
    I believe the reason he did not do this, is because he was not allways sick for the past year or so, DID NOT CARE ABOUT HIS REPUTATION, and he knew what he was going to do, which was intentionally, willfully and maliciously take money from people and he wanted to continue taking their money.

Henry Paprocki and others that worked for him, warned people that Andy was cheating people, and they were dismissed as disgruntled employees.

Andy betrayed many people, including friends who loaned him money, and now he won't even give them (his friends who loaned him money), the RESPECT of returning their phone calls, emails, faxes or letters because he has no intention of paying them back.

It is responsibility of those who have been ripped off by Andy, to warn others in the community and hopefully spare them the time, money, anger, stress, misery and heartache of loosing a treasured heirloom. Not to mention the humiliation and embarrassment of being ripped off.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Where is the great lumper now with all his caustic remarks.

Don

16. MB Lansing

MB Lansing TS Member

I have a firearm at Andys shop and have confirmed it is still in the premisis. According to the premisis owner there are many firearms in the premisis, some on premisis with work partially completed and some no longer on premisis. The premisis owner based on the court order could have dumped the firearms on the street with the eviction notice but upon seeing the content of the shop locked it down to protect our property. We owe all her a heart felt thank you. She is literally losing rental monies to protect our valued property.

I have talked to the Utica Police and they consider this a Civil matter and at least in my case referred me to the Premisis owners attorney Ms Kathrene Hawkridge. I agree with the above the police and ATF would likely turn this into a major cluster foxtrot. She has instructed her client to not release the firearms without a court order. She indicated an attorney Peter Hobaica Sr. is representing many gun owners.

I have contacted Mr. Hobaica and he in fact is representing several clients many of which with multiple firearms. I have retained him and you may consider doing so as well. I have never worked with him in the past. I do manage litigation in my career and he appears to be capable. He has had access to the premisis and some working relationship with the premisis owner/attorney. If you consult with him he can provide you more detail on the status of investigation and legal action will be take to attempt to find out the fate or secure you firearm. His phone number is 315-624-7777. Your call? Best of luck to everyone.

17. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I sincerely hope everyone gets their property back. Steve

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Oh boy ... not only one thread you have to top about this situation but you have to top 2 of them.

What has happened has happened and there aint nothing more that can be done so let the threads die already.

19. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I think what he means is one is enough, maybe?? Jeff

20. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Someone has six guns at the shop worth an average of thirty million dollars apiece??!!!

I'd like to see ONE firearm in the world worth $30M....

Anyway, if this guy was truly a crook, those "100 high-grade" firearms would have been sold off months ago. I think things are not as they initially appear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.