1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

And you thought the INTERNET changed the world....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Take a look at Sixth Sense Technology. Pranav is truly an amazing person.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

<object width="446" height="326"><param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/PranavMistry_2009I-medium.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/PranavMistry-2009I.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=685&introDuration=16500&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=2000&adKeys=talk=pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_tec;year=2009;theme=design_like_you_give_a_damn;theme=new_on_ted_com;theme=what_s_next_in_tech;theme=the_creative_spark;theme=tales_of_invention;theme=a_taste_of_tedindia;theme=ted_under_30;event=TEDIndia+2009;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;" /><embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="446" height="326" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/PranavMistry_2009I-medium.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/PranavMistry-2009I.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=685&introDuration=16500&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=2000&adKeys=talk=pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_tec;year=2009;theme=design_like_you_give_a_damn;theme=new_on_ted_com;theme=what_s_next_in_tech;theme=the_creative_spark;theme=tales_of_invention;theme=a_taste_of_tedindia;theme=ted_under_30;event=TEDIndia+2009;"></embed></object>

ss

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

That is so cool!

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Only time. Very good

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Cool. My only fear is that we get too dependant on this stuff. What happens when our enemies whack our satellites?

6. recurvyarcher

Then we will have old people like me who know how to farm, use a slide rule for engineering, and drive a horse and carriage. Most importantly, we know how to shoot. :)

7. recurvyarcher

Eddie, the fact that he is willing to open source the code is why I think that he is amazing. There are quite a few brilliant scientists and engineers in the world, and I've known a few of them. Pranav is the first mondern-day person that I have come across that hasn't done this for the recognition or for the money, but for the pure wonder of technology and humanity. He is one amongst those of us in engineering who worry about humans becoming too sedentary and detached from reality.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Hey, that's great! Rather than writing a note to myself on a slip of paper, I can hook myself up to a computer, don a camera and projector, scribe it in the air, and eventually project it on the very hand that would have held the note half an hour before. Can't wait!

This is, finally, Apple's Newton that just requires it's own mated computer and associated wiring. Why have I had to wait so long?

Neil

9. dimapower

dimapower Member

I was just at MIT last December and got to see of this stuff in action at the MIT Media Lab. The company I work for has commited millions of dollars to help support the work at MIT. Amazing stuff.

10. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Like so many new products, this appears to be a solution looking for a problem. It reminds me of the million dollar NASA project in the 60's to develop a pen to write in zero gravity. The Russians used a pencil.

EE

11. recurvyarcher

Did the Newton allow you to take a photo without a camera by just making a frame with your fingers? This is far and away a different technology than was Newton. You got your Newton with the PDAs of today, and you got them quite some time ago.

Neil makes it look like silly technology with his notepad example, but you don't "don a camera and projector" in the same sense...you essentially BECOME the camera and projector.

This technology will simplify the lives of millions of briefcase/laptop/backpack-toting people everywhere. Presenations and briefings will be a snap, and without lugging a projector or relying on someone else's borrowed equipment. The cost will be much cheaper and a whole team can each have capabilities that before had to be scheduled due to shared resources.

I know it's gonna make my team's life a helluva lot easier...

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lots of potential. We are really only looking at the tip of the iceberg. Chichay

13. Neil Winston

Hmm, Devi. You become the camera and projector? What do you get the pictures with, and how do you project them? Implants? Your sixth sense? TV gimmickry?

It _is_ silly. What's next? Pet food on the 'net?

Neil

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Neil, just show Kyra a projected image of food.

EE

15. EE

EE Banned User Banned

here...

16. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

EE nailed it...

17. recurvyarcher

You guys probably said the same thing when people started talking about mobile phones way back when you were in your forties...

18. chuckles

chuckles Member

lets see......mini camera, mini projector, a small computer chip somewhere linking the two, sensors for the finger tips and thumbs that are wireless, sophisticated software to tell it all what to do...I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye...

Interesting concept...

wasn't Tom Cruise doing this 4 or 5 years ago in some Sci Fi movie...???

19. Neil Winston

You are right about the phones, Devi. Who could have guessed that button-pushers would be sending shoddy, barely-recognizable images at high cost to people who didn't want them and they would be allowed to get away with it?

Neil

20. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Actually, Neil, I've carried a cell phone since back in the bag phone days. But after 25 years in the computer industry, I've seen plenty of totally worthless concepts. If there was much merit in this one, it wouldn't need this kind of evangelizing, and would likely already be a product.

EE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.