1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

And yet another not so simple rules question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dangwood, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dangwood

dangwood TS Member

Okay this is the scenario, shooting doubles and the person on post three is shooting. He shoots and breaks his first target and before he gets to the second target the person on post four apparently sets his release trigger and it malfunctions striking the ground in front of the shooter on post three who is distracted by this and misses the second target . Ideas?? Dan Wood

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

He shoots the pair over. Two shots when a target is in the air voids any result, no target. Shooter on post 4 is disrupting the shoot/ers harmony in addition. Post 4 needs a lesson on trigger etiquette and safety too! Hap

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Good question Dan. The shooter did shoot at the second target and missed because of a distraction. I have missed targets because of other types of distraction. If we accept Hap's idea, which has a sound basis, and score the targets as no pair, we would also be forced to call no pair if the shooter had broken the second target. Targets are ruled as no pair regardless of the results. If you would have ruled dead pair if the shooter broke both targets, than you are forced to rule dead lost if he missed the second bird because of the distraction.

Pat Ireland

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I see a couple of sections of the "No Target" rule that fit this scenario although not exactly.

"4. When a contestant shoots out of turn. All contestants must shoot in
    regular order or sequence according to his or her position in the squad.
    A contestant who does not shoot in regular order is “out of turn” and
    the results are not scored."

"5. When two (2) contestants fire at the same target."

I would think that the double fire #5 would pretty much cover it.

Bob Lawless

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Ya know, I don't think the spirt of the game is to always try to find a technicality to take a target away from someone when they were obviously not doing anything wrong and the facts are not in question.

I would apply Hap's logic and say both shooters fired, so it has to be reshot. To address Pat's point to complicate things; if the shooter hit both targets despite the AD, I would score dead pair. No harm no foul. Sometimes, someone has to be able to make some fairness judgements.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If two shooters fire when a legal target/targets is in the air, it's ruled a "no target" regardless if it's 16s, caps or doubles or the results of those shots. Sounds sorta simple to my way of reading our rules.

I was referring a handicap shoot-off at the Spring Grand between two shooters. One, a Lindenwood College athlete and another 27 yard shooter. During the first five shots the youngster had his entire left foot over the firing line. I could have called a "no target" on his shots but didn't think it was beneficial to the game at that time. I did however advise him of the foot fault rule and how it could have disrupted his shooting by calling a no target situation when he was smoking his targets. I did this discretely before he changed to the next station and he kept his feet behind the line from that point on. Said he'd never heard of that rule?? Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.