1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AND THE LAYOFFS BEGIN........

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Jerbear, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

LAS VEGAS (CBS Las Vegas) — A Las Vegas business owner with 114 employees fired 22 workers today, apparently as a direct result of President Obama’s re-election.

“David” (he asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons) told Host Kevin Wall on 100.5 KXNT that “elections have consequences” and that “at the end of the day, I need to survive.”

Here’s an excerpt from the interview. Click the audio tab below to hear even more from this compelling conversation:

“I’ve done my share of educating my employees. I never tell them which way to vote. I believe in the free system we have, I believe in the right to choose who they want to be president, but I did explain as a business owner that I have always put my employees first. I always made sure that when I went without a paycheck that made sure they were paid. And I explained that I always put them first and unfortunately I’m at a point where I’m being forced to have to worry about me and my family now and a business that I built from just me to 114 employees.

“I explained to them a month ago that if Obama gets in office that the regulations for Obamacare are gonna hurt our business, and I’m gonna have to make provisions to make sure I have enough money to cover the payroll taxes, the additional health care I’m gonna have to do, and I explained that to them and I said you do what you feel like in your heart you need to do, but I’m just letting you know as a warning this is things I have to think of as a business owner.

“Well unfortunately, and most of my employees are Hispanic — I’m not gonna go into what kind of company I have, but I have mostly Hispanic employees — well unfortunately we know what happened and I can’t wait around anymore, I have to be proactive. I had to lay off 22 people today to make sure that my business is gonna thrive and I’m gonna be around for years to come. I have to build up that nest egg now for the taxes and regulations that are coming my way. Elections do have consequences, but so do choices. A choice you make every day has consequences and you know what, I’ve always put my employees first, but unfortunately today I have to put me and my family first, and you watch what’s gonna happen. I’m just one guy with 114 employees — well was 114 employees — watch what happens in the next six months. The Dow alone lost 314 points today. There’s a tsunami coming and if you didn’t think this election had consequences, just wait.”

Look out, there's more to come......

Jerbear

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

"most of my employees are Hispanic"

Do you suppose he kept the hispanic (cheaper) and let the responsible white people go?

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

OMG

It is a CBS story, it has to br true. They put on the internet, they cannot put anything untrue on the internet.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

That sounds about right from you two idiots!

The layoffs are just starting ... Boeing made and announcement, too!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49729998

5. Rick Barker

Yes, but layoffs at Boeing is middle management who are just a step below being rich, so the Dems won't get too upset with that, will they?

All we heard was Obama was going to make the rich pay more.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Well, there is no doubt the market was down 300+ points. I don't think it liked the election outcome.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Business owners were holding off till the last minute to see who won the election, and see if there was any hope of a turn around....NOPE!

Like I said, small business will cheap'n up, run on a shoe string and try to survive. Marginal employees go first.

My daughter sent me a text last night that her office let 6 go as well.

Congrats flincher. You're now getting what you voted for.

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If you bothered to click on the link, at the bottom was an audio interview with KXNT and the business owner.

Yes, the layoffs are starting....

Jerbear

9. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

The past 4 years has just been a bad dream we will wake up from and the next 4 will be great---Yeah right!

10. Rick Barker

It's okay, as long as Barack can play golf and Michelle has her own 757, all right with the world.

11. schwabby

schwabby Member

Boy,that guy is really on top of the situation. I guess Obamacare is already in full force there. Or maybe he's hysterical. Or less than honest.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What, Romney does not play Golf?

13. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Or maybe he fired those employees who had Obama/Biden bumper stickers on their cars. Elections have consequences.

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I missed the important parts but a TV station interviewed a business owner here in Iowa who had 48 employees and was waiting the outcome of the election. If Obama won he wasn't going to expand even though he was turning away business.

Would that have something to do with Obama Care or Business tax, maybe both?

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah, they really stick it to businesses with 50 or more employees. There are business consultants who do nothing but advise companies on how to stay under the 50 employee mark.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A local manufacture of cookware in Toledo OH. Today announced they were suspending health care bennies, a factory rep. said it was cheaper to pay the fine.

My nephew works there along with hundreds of others.

17. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

A local manufacture of cook wear in Toledo OH. Today announced they were suspending health care bennies, a factory rep. said it was cheaper to pay the fine.

My nephew works there along with hundreds of others.

GOOD!!!! I hope that was the order for all of people in management too!!!

Just to keep the record STRAIGHT!!!! Here are the rules that went into affect in Jan and Sept.

Effective January 1, 2011Insurers must spend 80% (for individual or small group insurers) or 85% (for large group insurers) of premium dollars on health costs and claims, leaving only 20% or 15% respectively for administrative costs and profits, subject to various waivers and exemptions. If an insurer fails to meet this requirement, there is no penalty, but a rebate must be issued to the policy holder. This policy is known as the 'Medical Loss Ratio'.[68][69][70][71]

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services is responsible for developing the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation and overseeing the testing of innovative payment and delivery models.[72]

Flexible spending accounts, Health reimbursement accounts and health savings accounts cannot be used to pay for over-the-counter drugs, purchased without a prescription, except insulin.[73]

[edit] Effective September 1, 2011All health insurance companies must inform the public when they want to increase health insurance rates for individual or small group policies by an average of 10% or more. This policy is known as 'Rate Review'. States are provided with Health Insurance Rate Review Grants to enhance their rate review programs and bring greater transparency to the process.[74][75]

LOOKS THERE ARE SOME REAL BAD THINGS IN THERE WHOOOOOOOOOOO, WHOOOOOOOOO!

GS

18. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

and so do the new taxes...a new e911 tax on sales in CT for emergency services. .67 per transaction reported along with sales tax. And what are our Fed, State and local taxes pay for, pray tell?
    Add that up at the end of the day small businesses.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

midilake, Who's gonna pay to do all the administration of this cluster? The insurance companies don't even know how all this stuff will be communicated, reviewed, or administered.

The Center for Medicare Medicade services doesn't even know how they're going to develop the model for payment and delivery! If they do, they haven't informed the insurance companies yet.

I know. I interviewed the 3 largest brokers last month! MM, Premed,and BlueC

Maybe they're still trying to decipher the bill they bassed 3 years ago.

20. schwabby

schwabby Member

So this guy gave his employees notice 30 days ago, which he didn't need to do. He is well above the 50 employee margin so he will stillbe insuring 92 employees. He could have waited till 12/31 and handed out checks then. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
    Assuming this is profitable venture he gave up 90 days of profit, for what reason?

I don't buy it; there is more to this story than he is sharing.

Steve Schwab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.