1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

And Another Thing.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Overland Park KS
    As the discussions proceed on choke selections (turkey and Helix), is there room for considering the effectiveness of different forcing cone lengths?, barrel diameters?, brands of wads?, powder burn rates?, primers?, shot brands? The list goes on....lots of harmless but engaging fun analyzing all these factors. Life is short. Best Regards, Ed
  2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Or, as a lark, we could try just pointing the gun right.

3. icelander36

icelander36 Member

Jun 12, 2007

You hit it right on the head!!! What I have been saying since the git go.
    Getting the choke to match with the proper barrel, wad, powder and amount of powder, hull and shot will make or break how good a pattern is. I have nine chokes for my browning BT99 invector plus. Trying them with the same reload I get some real eye openers as to how each patterns differant from any of the others. I even had one that patterened 3inches to the left no matter how I put it in the barrel, real tight, finger tight almost loose. The extended chokes seem to do the best in my gun for more even patterns. I can open my patterns with out changeing chokes by just shooting a differant one of my reloads in the gun. Hard or softer shot makes a big differance in my gun. Wads make a small differance. Some I have to use more powder to get the same preformance from one wad to the other. Haveing the gun pointed right is a no brainer but haveing a good load you have confindance in is more of a factor than most people believe. Lyle
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.