1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

And, another dumb idea by Pat

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Last week, I had a problem logging into this site. The problem did have something to do with the change David made and my ISP. I got the problem fixed for me. This morning, David sent me an e-mail asking what I did to fix the problem. Apparently a few others who use AOL have had the same problem.

So, with a desire to be helpful, I started to post what I did to solve the problem in a new thread for the people who can't log into Trapshooters.com to read.

Pat Ireland

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don't change anything Pat, we like you just the way you are. HMB

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pat why post what you did to solve the problem? If they can't log on they can't read your post. Mike

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

mengwe, do you think, just maybe that's exactly the point of Pat's "dumb idea" posting, huh?<;-)....Bob Dodd

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

LOL, irony is lost on some people.

6. Don S

Don S Member

It's a long Winter.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Irony heck, we have nothing but hang a dry clothing in this house....Bob Dodd

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Mengwe, huh???!!

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pat, its not that your ideas are dumb but rather they are just above most peoples ability to comprehend!

10. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Thanks Pat, I figured of all people you would know that I knew that you would know that if I couldn't get on TS.com, I couldn't read your fix for getting on TS.com in the first place. Unless of course I also found a way to log on, then I could read your post. Man, great minds think alike huh?

Thanks Again, AJ100

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Quite often now, when I attempt to log on, I am prompted to fill in my user name and password....and the site does not remember me (I never thought of myself as forgetable. but I'll get over it)...and I wish the "no frames version" was the default version...

12. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Hey Mike (Mengwe) Here's yer sign!!!!!!

LOL!!!

Jeff

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

H.S. mengwe! and that doesn't stand for high school either!

Pat- serves you right for having AOL.

14. bocephus

bocephus Member

Yes we certainly wouldn't want to spill the beans and tell of a way to fix the problem here, heck someone might pass that info along to a friend via email that can't view posts here!!!
    mums the word

15. jmas

jmas TS Member

Please Pat, post it here. I NEED IT. I can't get on. I'll keep checking back until you post it.

jmas

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I deleted trapshooters.com from my favorite places. Then logged on to trapshooters2.com and saved it again into my favorite places. The server change made last week seems to have corrupted the address I had saved in my favorite places.

Pat Ireland

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I forget why, but I did the same thing as Pat back just after the changes. It did return me to what felt more "normal," not that I'm accustomed to any sort of normalosity.....Bob Dodd

18. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

There is a file in your computer called a hosts file. On my XP machine it is located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

yours probably has something like the following line installed there:

127.0.0.1 localhost

The numbers above is an internet protocol (ip) address for the local computer (they are all the same for the localhost).

This file is searched first when you try to connect to the internet. In fact, one way to keep away from the "bad guys" is to associate their website for the localhost address and place it in this file. You will never reach the badguy website because it is referenced here to the local host.

So, unless trapshooters.com changes ip addresses, you can place trapshooters ip address and just follow the constructs of the local host:

64.38.48.106 trapshooters.com (tab space between the address and name)

you can do this with notepad and just save it (don't "save as").

Once connected to the internet and unless you have unknowingly given AOL too much control over your computer, the hosts file is searched first for the website address before hitting AOL's DNS server to look up the address.

Incidentally, trapshooters.com and trapshooters2.com both come back with the same ip address.

I hope this is helpful,

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.