1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anchorage, AK cancels leagues for the week...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff P, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Birchwood shooting park cancelled leagues this week, the first week of our SPRING league. Too cold.

Yesterday at high noon the thermometer of a chevy tahoe parked for two hours in full sunlight said -18F.

I guess we do have a limit to our insanity, after all. I didn't think we did.

Usually I just put an extra T shirt on, and a handwarmer in each pocket and go shoot. Sometimes I even wear gloves, but usually only below -10.

PAT IRELAND: None of this should be construed as a danger of you freezing to death during our state shoot. We haven't had anyone actually freeze to death on the line since '02, LOL.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I can relate to the cold weather hell its only been in the 50's here in Arizona but they say its going to warm up next week and should be in the 70's and keep getting warmer from there ... Whew, I thought winter was never going to end ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

Now why did you go an announce a shoot cancellation? You could have had a night out on the town with the boys and your wives would have never known the difference! I thought you guys were smarter than that. LOL

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...hell otnot, at my age league IS a night out on the town.

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I want to join the -40 club. Do I have to shoot out of the North Pole club ?????

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well then you should have at least went to the clubhouse and drank beer and played cards. Your younger than me but your starting to act like an old man. Hell by the time the state shoot does roll around you will be too old to shoot it.

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Otnot...the chance to beat the yung'uns is what keeps me going.

I schooled Farner in the fine art of the HOA this weekend. Beat him by 9 over a 300 bird race. And that's pretty near to an ass-kicking....I just love keeping his new K-80 out of the winners circle!!!

Wait til you see that gun...it's purty.

And besides, I'm buying the trophies this year for the state shoot. And I'm only buying things I want to win.

Bob...just come on up and shoot our state shoot. You can shoot the ladies ring shoot in drag and join the club. Wait. That's a different club.

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

jeff p I have been to your state shoot for the last three years. I, We had a great time every year, sorry I cannot make it this year. I would like to see John's new K-80. I thought only Dave Inman was allowed to enter the ladies ring shoot ???? I do hope you change the beer for 2008 ???

Hope to be back in 2009.

9. LV Trapshooting Park

LV Trapshooting Park TS Member

This brings back some memories of my time up there (1982-1987). It was the Izaak Walton Recreation Park, Anchorage Chapter, at that time. One Wednesday morning in February, probably 1984 or '85, the temperature was -28 at the club, and finally warmed up to about -18. We had league that night, and of course there were concerns about the cold temperatures, and if anyone would actually show up. At that time, the league was 25 skeet, and 25 16yd trap. At about 3pm, I went out to turn on the skeet machines to let them warm up for a while. I remember I ran up the stairs of the first high house, turned on the motor, then turned right around to run back down the stairs. The electric motor struggled (these were the old Western skeet machines), then burnt out before I could get back over to turn it off. The oil in the reservoir was so cold, it instantly brought the motor to a dead stop. Now I had to change the motor out in the extreme cold. After completing this, I drove up to Eagle River, and bought up all of the sterno I could find. I got back to the club and put a can of sterno under each of the trap and skeet machines and let them warm up a while. No further problems, and amazingly enough, every shooter in the league (80) showed up to shoot that nights program. Obviously a hardy bunch, and always ready to share a night of camaradarie with their fellow league shooters, regardless of conditions. In the 5 1/2 years I was there, only one night of league was ever cancelled. That was when Mt Augustine blew up in a volcanic eruption, and filled the air with a lung-damaging ash.
    That was a great time in my life, but at my age, I find I enjoy the desert much more these days.

Steve Carmichael
    Las Vegas Gun Club

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Bob, that's kind of a low blow...but I have bowed to the overwhelming outcry for better beer this year.

We'll have something different...something GOOD for this year.

Boy that microbrew I bought was pretty nasty last year. All I can say is if you could drink one, the rest tasted pretty good.

Kaiser says any guy who wants to wear a dress can shoot in the ladies ring shoot. I'm thinking about it. It would be bad enough to have all those ladies beat. Worse to be wearing a dress when it happened.

Steve - we shoot all the games in league now. 5 stand, skeet, super skeet, modified skeet, 16 yard trap, 17 yard wobble, handicap trap and handicap wobble, trap doubles. We have 41 teams in the spring league this year - 205 shooters.

I hope to get down and shoot with you in Vegas SOON. And Kaiser says I would do good to get a lesson from you.

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

Steve I really appreciate the job you did while you were in Anchorage. The shoots were always well run. Dave Cross is now managing the place and he seems to be turning things around again. I hope someday that we have as many shooters as we used to back then.

P.S Those guys in Anchorage are a bunch of sissy's now days. LOL

Jim

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- I am glad you posted the note. I did not want to make a trip up to see you when there was no shooting. When I do come up should I plan on staying overnight or can I get back home the same day.

Pat Ireland

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Pat, you can get back to Seattle the same day. But I'm sure it will be much warmer there for you!

No, I'd suggest you bring a warm coat and plan on staying overnight. I think you'll find that most of our houses have furnaces, except Otnot's, and he doesn't even have indoor plumbing yet.

You know, there's a possibility that it could be in the 70s while you're here, and maybe even in the very low 80s. If it should get that hot, I would suggest you'd be a shoe in to win, as all of us would have passed out long ago from the sheer heat.

I waterskied in Fairbanks in September once, at 47 degrees F, in a swimsuit only - no wetsuit. But only once. And I was young and stupid then. Not like I am now at all.

14. trident

trident Member

Jeff,
    Sorry to hear that I'm missing all that nice weather :) Graduate the Academy on 20 May and should be home the first week in June for some serious shooting. How's that for timing? Andy Blore

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Andy...that sounds pretty dang good.

-67 F yesterday in Tok.

16. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

Come up to Big Lake near Wassilla on Saturday for the start of the Iron Dog Snowmobile race. These guys cover 1960 miles in 6 days, to Nome and then back to Fairbanks.These are tough guys.

Clyde

17. IM390

IM390 Member

What a bunch of cake-eaters! Three years ago I shot a nighttime winter league in West Bend Wisconsin where the thermometer read -15 while we were shooting hunt and cover at 25 yards. I later found out the club manager uses Mobil 1 in the traps along with space heaters that turn on at 2 p.m. ready for shooting at 6.(The trap houses are kept closed until shooting time.) After a couple of weeks of shooting below zero I found my Beretta action closed a lot easier by lubricating it with Militec.

Where there's a will, there's a way!

18. big D

big D TS Member

N.J. Bob Sorry you won't make the shoot. Anyone else coming?
    Andy Glad to see you are still kicking and will be back soon. That's not true about that dress thing. Dave Inman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.