1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

An unusual start to the season....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hunter870, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter870

hunter870 Member

This morning was the first hunting day of the season for me...early teal and wood duck started yesterday. I dropped the boat at Loxahatchee preserve, ran out to a likely spot, tossed some dekes, and covered up.

At exactly one minute after dawn a nice flight of teal went over the decoys low and fast. I shot one that came down and hit the water hard. He started to swim so I hit him again to anchor him. Then about a six foot gator came up and ate him!

All I could do was stand in the boat and gape. I guess nature got the last laugh today. I've heard of this happening, but have never seen it in almost 40 years of duck hunting. All I could do was shake my head and chuckle.

The rest of the morning was excellent, but I sure didn't do any wading!

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Hope the gator get steel shot posioning and you have a great season!

3. Lew

Lew TS Member

Only if he had a Condor before the teal....

4. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

hunter870...

Where from in So FL? I am in Wellington...very near Loxahathee- I have done some great bass fishing there

Jim C

5. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Hi Jim,
    I live in Pompano Beach...and last year's opening day for duck I dropped the dekes, pulled into a little cove on the west side, and about a 1 1/2 pound bass jumped into the boat with my son and I. Yes, there's some great fishing there. I'm guessing you shoot at Markham?

Bill

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

We haven't seen Jim C at Markham in quite a while. BTW we have a registered shoot this Sunday, 200 h'cap & 50 pr doubles.

Eric

7. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Thanks Eric,

I'll be in Vermont Saturday...going on vacation and doing some fishing on the Battenkill. I'll be back in time for opening day of dove, and will be on the range getting badly needed remedial practice a week from Wednesday. See you then!

8. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Eric

How have you been?

You are correct I have not shot at Markham, or anywhere for that matter, in quite a while. I have had a recurring eye/vision problem that keeps me from shooting much if at all. So much so that I have sold most of my guns. Hopefully the Dr's can get the issue corrected in the near future, but I have been battling it for almost 2 years now.

I will be going to the Fugarwee Shoot at the Dollar in November and hopefully will be able to shoot at least one event....if not I'll just visit with friends over there.

Take care.

Jim C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.