1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

An open letter to Michigan trapshooters

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Hammerhead, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Member

0   0   0

An open letter to Michigan trapshooters:

After 38 years of vending at the Michigan Trapshooting Association grounds at Mason, Michigan, we were hoping to remain as one of the principal vendors of guns, parts, shooter's accessories and gunsmithing services.

In our travels for the Five Man Team Shoot at the MTA grounds (April 29, 30 & May 1), we were stopped by the Michigan State Police Motor Carrier Division and cited for the following violations:<BR>
    a.. no break-away brake box on trailer<BR>
    b.. no carrier information displayed<BR>
    c.. no DOT number displayed<BR>
    d.. improper license plate<BR>
    e.. no log book for commercial vehicle travelling over a 150-mile radius<BR>
    f.. no annual safety inspection certificate for tow vehicle<BR>
    g.. no annual safety inspection certificate for trailer<BR>
    h.. no medical certificate for driver<BR>
    After considering the costs and time required to become (and remain) "road legal," we have determined that this would be cost-prohibitive. We will not be able to dispatch this vehicle again.

Thank you for the past business, the friendships, and the good times at Mason. We will remain at your service in our Traverse City location.

Most sincerely,

Karl Hampel

Hampel's Gun Shop<BR>
    710 Randolph St<BR>.
    Traverse City, MI 49684<BR>
    (231) 946-5485

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

0   0   0

That sounds like the cost too do business
    Jim

3. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

0   0   0

The dot numbers are free,
    The annual inspection-50-100 dollars,
    Breakaway kit about $50,
    Log book $2.95,
    Plates-your fault,
    Medical card-free- with your annual physical,
    carrier id can be cardboard with your name in black marker
    or cheap lettering

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Not really just the cost of doing business, but a carryover from the Granholm administrations "Get money out of every motoring person any way possible" tactics.

Don't look for it to change with the new guard....Snyder wants your money just as bad.

5. Hilltop

Hilltop Member

0   0   0

Hi Karl, The shoots at MTA will not be the same without you their.Having been a customer and friend for the past 20 years or better believe me you will be missed.

Regards,

Al Brackett
    Hilltop Sport SHOP
    Newbery Mi

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

When was the last Republican Governor of Michigan. Michigan, California, and Illinois. Three of the most over regulated states in the union. There's more but they stick out for me.

7. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

0   0   0

I don't think it has anything to do any political party as many of you wish were the case. It has more to do, I feel, with the fact that general revenues are getting less and less for every PD, Sheriff, and State Trooper in the U.S. and they simply have to find more ways to 'finance' their budgets. I consider it creative financing.

I see it the local levels in my area in both the Village and County, and to a certain extent, the State Troopers.

Tim

8. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

0   0   0

I think I can speak for most all shooters at Mason, Karl will be missed, most shooters like to kick the tires of the inventory he has, as well as all of the repairs to a lot of guns for litle or no charge.

If I can say so THANK YOU Karl.

Fred Jackson

9. angryman7

angryman7 TS Member

0   0   0

sorry, don't know you but hauling a trailer without a brake away box is dangerous and irresponsible. actually, it's dumb.

10. burtona

burtona Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I've been pulling a boat trailer and a small enclosed utility trailer (not commercial)for many years. Been stopped and checked a number of times (Usually a boat trailer light out). I've never heard of a break away box although I can guess what they may be. Am I dumb and irresponsible too?

11. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

0   0   0

I always thought it would be a sad day when Karls trailer no longer made the trip south to vend at Mason.I also always thought it would be due to Karls old age and knew I would not be looking forward to the reality of this sad event.Geez,where the heck am I going to hang out now? Karls trailer at Mason was as iconic as hot dogs at a baseball game.Mason just wont be the same! The only vendor with guns and now hes gone to!Thanks Karl for all the memorys.Best wishes....Moe

12. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

0   0   0

Maybe if he would have stopped the freebies and or charged more the situation would have been different? Maybe it was more of a hobbie than a business. No disrespect intended.
    Jim

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Karl you caught up in the new push on enforcing the commercial vehicle rules. They are not new rules but were overlooked for years as far as small business were concerned. A lot of businesses that use a PU truck or van are being nailed and are being stopped on initial appearance only. Our illustrious state troopers are the main enforcers.

I am sorry you got stopped and will miss you like all shooters at Mason.

Don

14. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

0   0   0

I dont have any knowledge of the Michigan situation; but it seems to me that we are all caught up in the adding of too many rules in our lives.

I too towed boat trailer,some pretty heavy, most of my life and have never heard of a break away box.I probably should have known.

Just in the past year in Virginia we have added additonal rules and permits for salt water fishing and motor boat operation. Further, in the name of "safety" we have started random boat boardings and "inspections" by local waterborne police units.

We got boarded last summerat 2:00 PM on a Sunday afternoon., my wife, 9 year old Grandson, and me( a real threatening, unsafe looking bunch). We were asked if we had been drinking ,and if they could do a safety inspection of the boat.

We had not been drinking,and there were no safety or boat operation violations. The entire event really angered me. I have been sailing and operating boats in this harbor for 60 years and never seen anything quite like it. Grandson thought it was great that we got "busted". My bride said I was overeacting, (in her view I do that a lot ).

All this seems to me to be Big Brother at his best and perhaps the budget of some of the agencies are simply too big. The unit that stopped us was a $150K RIB boat which the City recently purchased at least 2 of with Homeland Security $.

I believe thinking perople need to resist this stuff; our freedom is being erroded a bit at a time by do gooders and regulators.

Jim

15. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

0   0   0

These are FEDERAL laws, Usually enforced at the state level.

If you are running a business, no matter how large or small, and no matter if it is making a profit or not, you are a commercial vehicle.

I also have to deal with all these regulations, and it does cost money.

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

You have to remember that the reason for at least half of those rules is the result of fatal accidents through out the country.

Who wants to sacrifice a loved on so a commercial driver can run all the hours he wants? Or drive vehicles that are unsafe?

All the break away box is is a device that engages the brakes on a trailer that comes unhooked from the tow vehicle. Been around for many years. Also the result of fatal accidents.

17. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

0   0   0

I operate a fleet of constuction vehicles in MI. If you do what your supposed to,its not that expensive. But the fines are no laughing matter anymore. Pleading ignorance(my favorite) never works. Battery breakaways have been factory installed for 10yrs or better. Bite the bullet-get your rig up to snuff-and carry on. It sounds like you have a bunch of fans!!PerryM

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

MIchigan is a very unfriendly place for small biz, nothing is about safety anymore, they are just trying to sqeeze the little guy for every penny they can. My accountant says the state has ramped up audits for small contractors ten fold.
    They will pull over a pickup truck with a ladder rack because they smell money, meanwhile 200 crackheads with no insurance at all, will pass by as your getting your tickets.

They are trying to pay for all the welfare rats and bloated crooked budgets on the back of the working guy. To all those that think this is great, wait to you see some of new prices for service work on your homes from the contractors and landscapers that remain in business.
    Soon you will have to call a multi million dollar corp to have a door knob changed, then deal with OSHA, EPA, DOT, Building dept, Workmans comp,local tax assesser,Historic commission, ect...It's becoming increasingly hard to meet all the requirements to stay in biz... you just can't charge enough, people are tapped out.
    Bloated gov. is a BIG time job killer. WE have become a nation of takers not makers.

Very sorry to hear this Karl, not good for the MTA. Seems like they want to screw over the honest working man while rewarding those that won't work (one out of five families in MI. are on food stamps}. Last one left turn out the lights.

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

Before I started shooting Trap I always kept a lake boat, same deal there...I'd take the wife and another couple cruising the Maumee river downtown Toledo to support The docks, restaurants and shops.

It became so bad with the Coast Guard and sheriff patrol we could not make a trip without being boarded for a "safety check" where they would turn my floating home on the water inside out for over an hour, looking for some way to "create a fine", searching without warrent, under the guise of a "safety check".

Sometimes boaters spend over an hour being checked by the coast Guard only to be pulled over by the Sheriff boat a half mile up the river to start the whole process over again.

I learned to wait and watch with my binoculars until the dickheads had someone else pulled over before I would leave the dock, knowing they would be tied up for awhile.(they board as many boats as they can all day long, non stop}.

They finally killed Downtown Portside, Now the Mayor of Toledo is trying to sell the failed, overtaxed, over regulated riverside to Chinese investors.

Our founding fathers got to be spinning in the grave.

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

0   0   0

It sounds like one PO'ed trooper.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.