1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

An evaluation of DryFire Trapshooting USA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 46_trap, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

First let me say that I have NO connection with DryFire USA. The basic package of DryFire had no value to me, but with the addition of Trapshooting USA, it has become a welcome addition to me and two other shooters.
    With winter upon us, we find shooting trap in an area that is keep at about 65 degrees, a change ofr the better.
    I have shot 5000 rounds as of this date. If I had shot that amount at the Orangeville Sportsmrn Club it would have cost me $1700.00. The total cost to me of the system was $1950.00, so I am a little short, but will make it up, by shooting at least another 50 rounds.
    What has the system done for me? Well it has allowed me to setup my BT-99, with PFS to shoot at 70-30. When I first started, I was shooting a 89 average. In DryFire USA Trap, I have upped that to a 94.5 average, with a lot of 25's and 24's, and a few 84's when I first started...
    By the way I keep my scores, using "Trasooters Asistant". Under the club name "The Geezers Shooting Club".
    I have a 92 aveage for 5 rounds of singles in 2009.
    I hope to see at the Pennsylvania State shoot, with a new found skill at trapshooting.

Bud Keefer AKA 46_trap
  2. smp005

smp005 Member

Bud, I take it you are pleased with the system.. I'm seriously considering purchasing one for my kids and I. I'm not sure I understand what the "Trapshooting USA" component is...

Scott
  3. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

smp005,

The real name of the program is "DryFire Squading", I call it Trapshooting USA, because it lets you squad 5 shooters in singles and handicap. If you want to shoot doubles, you should get the double headed unit.
    To see what dry fire is, type into your search engine "dryfire usa" If you do not type in the usa, you will be taken to the UK site and then have to click on the USA flag. There is no video of the squading software.
    If you go to my site http://www.patrapshooting.com, you will see what my setup is like.
    I live in Berwick,PA, if you live around there then send me an e-mail.
    It is a great training tool!

46_trap AKA Bud Keefer
  4. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

The system works great if it's used in conjunction with live shooting. Maybe 60/40 with 60% being the system. It will improve your timing and eyes to target reconition. Likewise, with your speed. However, the recoil will screw you up if you don't do some real shooting while using the system. At least that is what I discovred in the last year.
  7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

How big is the screen? How far behind the screen do you stand? Do you change positions during the shooting?
  8. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

You shoot aganist a wall. I throw aganist a TJ background. I stand about 8 ft away, but it can be any distance you program in. you move across the room to shoot from different stations (angles), distance is program adjustable You see your shot on a computer screen, giving the pattern on the target, time of shot (distance of the hit or miss), and where your center of pattern (inches)is away compared to the center of the target. Everything is adjustable. You can make the training as easy or so hard you can't hit anything.
  9. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

I do not have a screen. It is a painting of a trap field, with a traphouse attached to the painting. The painting is 10 foot wide by 5 foot. The shooting line is 10 feet from the painting a streight line with five positions.You change positions every five shots, just as at your clu The shooting positions are 26 inchs apart. I have a 12X12 room. You can go all the way back to 14X14 with the positions 30 inchs apart. My gun is set to shoot 70-30, and my hold is one inch above the trap house. To insure your hold is the same as at a real trap field. Take a ruler to the field, find your gun hold on the back ground, the measure with a ruler My hold at the gun club is one inch.

Bud Keefer AKA 46_trap
  10. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

11. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I bought the Dryfire system last year, including the background and trap house. It really is very nice, and I use it for a warm up as well as a review. It simulates wind very nicely, and the targets have a significant level of reality when simulating windy conditions.
  12. chuckles

chuckles Member

Is the clay seen on the DryFire screen the same size as you would see at 16yds in realtime or a lot smaller...?

thanks
  13. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

It's just a moving lazer point. However, the display on the computer screen show's a target overlayed by the shot pattern.
  14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I'm looking to buy one of these systems. I have TJordans Wall Chart. I've never used it because I didn't have a large enough area to set it up. I've since moved to a new house with a full basement. Question I have is can I use my wall chart with the DryFire or will that be to confusing to look at? Should I give the wall chart a chance or go right to DryFire? Dave T.
  15. 221

221 Well-Known Member

All you really need is a flat wall and a simulated trap house,,,,,,I find no need to have a picture on my wall, some like the picture,,,I personally see no need to use it, as shooting the bird is what you are practicing......Looking at the scenery in upsetting your onboard GPS.......You should not enjoy the scenery while you are shooting.......do not look at the trees, or watch airplanes. Pretty women......well that's different, I'd look.
  16. j2jake

j2jake Active Member

We too have the DF system in the Squadding version. My wife is the primary user but since my HD is not up to snuff I'm going to start. When my wife started she had a 73 average. Well she shot a 97 and 98 last two registered shoots and now has a 93 average. It does work and is a great training tool. Also the fella that sells them,Dry Fire Bob, does support us well. Jake
  17. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

I stand 13 feet from the screen. There are five stations 13 feet from the screen. I have it setup to throw the target, just above the traphouse.You change stations after every five shots. You can see the complete setup at the above website URL. I am a dealer.
    Ed Keefer
  18. loophole

loophole TS Member

I live in Manitowoc Wisconsin. Does anyone have a DryFire system nearby that I could look at or experience. Please EMail.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.