1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AN ACT OF KINDNESS, MADE A DIFFERENCE!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i would like to tell you about a shooter's act of kindness, that truley made a difference in someone's life. around 25 years ago at the waukesha state shoot, i was sitting in front of the club house with a friend. this shooter at one time, shot international trap for the u.s. army team. when i originally met him, he had suffered 2 serious car accidents, and a stroke. most people who new him at the club, did not like him. i don't know if he was angry at the world, for all of his medical problems, or if in general he just didn't trust most people. he had a very bad, and quick temper. he had always treated me well, and if he told me that he would do something for me, or buy something from me, all we ever did was shake on it. his hand shake was his word. at one time in his life he was a good shooter, but his ability to shoot went down as he aged, along with his medical problems. the temperature that day was near 100, and the humidity wasn't far behind. a man walked by us, with a large platform shoe on one foot, and he used a wooden staff to help him walk and balance himself. as he walked by us, two trap boys sitting to our left started laughing at him. the man heard them, put his head down, and continued to walk by. my friend, confronted the two young men, and said, never make fun of a person with a disability until you walk in that man's shoes. he said you two are going to aploogize to this man. one of the boys, said no way. he told both of them, that if they didn't apologize to this man, that he would slap them from one side of the club to the other. he took them to the man, and they both said they were sorry. he told the young men, no problem. we started talking with the man, he said he came out to see what the state shoot was like. he had always wanted to shoot, but due to numerous reasons he was never able to. my friend went to the trunk of his car, brought out a rem 870 tc, along with 2 boxes of shells. he also paid for the 2 rounds, and we went to the practice trap and he shot. my friend gave him the 870 tc, along with a case of reloads, and a $50.00 bill. i was unaware at the time that while my friend was out at his car, a man who knew this person told him, that this man suffered his injuries during the korean war. he also said he received a medal for bravery and was considered as a hero to some. my friend told me at the time not to say anything . my friend died last year, very few people attended his funeral. but on that particular day 25 years ago, my friends act of kindness did not go unnoticed. will rogers once said" i never met a man i didn't like" i don't know if i would go that far, but i believe that most people do have some good in them. atleast i hope they do. next time you are at a gun club, should you see someone new just looking, spring for a box of shells and let them try your gun. who knows, you just might have shared a wonderful experience for someone.
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. steele

steele TS Member

About 8-10 years ago, at the Library Sportsmans Club, near Pgh PA, there was a small Sunday shoot. There was a young boy around 10-12 and he was shooting some type of single shot hammer gun, "bunnie buster" 12 gauge, & he was getting pounded with it. Well, a few guys started letting him try their guns & they were all too long for the kid, but he still shot them. I didn't know this guy at the time, but he had some type of Berreta & he went & took the recoil pad off it & put on a "slip-on" pad, for the kid to try. It fit the kid alot better & he was really having fun. He got done with the round & the man got his gun back & left. About an hour later, this guy returns with the gun. He had taken the gun down to Leo's Custom Stocks & had Leo cut & fit a recoil pad for the kid. To the kid, & his dads amazement, he gave the kid the gun right there. The man was Doc Shuttleworth. After that time. I became friends with Doc, seeing him at differnet shoots, & I asked him about it one time. His repsonse " I'll trade an old gun for a new smile any day!"
    The guys from around Pgh know what kind of guy Doc was, a true ambassador/gentleman of the sport. Doc has passed away several years ago now & only a few people knew what he did that day.

3. senior smoke

muzzleblast- i really like your story. shooters are some of the best people i have ever met. there is an old saying that the "good die young". if i had the money, i would enjoy doing things like my old friend and doc. on the other hand, i have known people that are very well to do, and won't help anyone, child or adult. when i have been able to do something nice for someone, it sure makes me feel good. thanks again for sharing your story.
    steve balistreri

4. spritc

spritc Active Member

Thanks for sharing those great stories guys. I'd like to think there are a lot of kind trap shooters out there.

Steve

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve..... I'd also like to share a story with you about an unsolicited act of kindness. Many years ago, at the California PITA State shoot, a very well known All Star got into a shoot-off with a young shooter about 13-14 years old. They were the only two in the shoot-off, and the young man was obviously very nervous, and intimidated, shooting against this well known shooter. The first round, the young man dropped his 16th or 17th target. The All Star dropped his 23rd, and the shoot-off went another round. The second round, as I recall, they both went straight. The third round, the young shooter missed his 7th target out and the All Star missed his 14th, or so. They got to the final post and the All Star, shooting first, dropped his 23rd. target and the kid ran them out. To this day, I don't think I have ever seen a bigger grin and jump for joy from a young shooter than I witnessed that day. The All Star went over to the youth, put his arm around his shoulders and profusely shook his hand, congratulating him on his win. He then walked off the trap towards his truck, with a smile on his face that was as big as the boys. That All Star was Mel Helm. We all knew what had just transpired, and I, for one, will never forget that wonderful act. To this day, Mel is a constant supporter, and contributer, to every youth program the PITA has to offer, as well as the CSTA, as an organization. He has always shown what a class act really means when it comes to the youths of our sport. Believe me, it made a lasting impression on me...Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. senior smoke

trap2- another great story. like i said , i will match shooters to any other sport for their kindness and overall generosity.
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.