1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

An 18 yr old that Knows the LAW

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GunDr, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The above link will bring you to a forum that has an 18 yr old excercising his constitutional right.

The post is rather lengthy (5 pages), but very much worth the time to read.

Some may feel the young fella is just asking for confrontation with the law, some will say "GO for it, kid!!"

Whatever your conclusion, the kid has balls.

Doug

2. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

May have balls, but no brains. No one should go after a cop in a small town just because he can.

Luvn

3. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

well he sure knows his right to protect himself. Although I would not go after an elder in such a manner, I sure hope he is the future president of the NRA

4. incognito

incognito TS Member

Most of you are so willing to give up any of your rights to the cops that you might as well move to Cuba. Quit complaining about someone who knows their rights, and learn yours. Cops are there to SERVE us, not the other way around. The sooner the cops re-learn this the better.

5. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

There is a time and a place for everything. If an 18 year old wants to challenge the law authority in his town, there is a way to go about it properly. This was not it, especially since the anti's are looking for examples of cavalier attitudes like this to fight your rights to carry.
    I personally would not advocate a challenge like the kid in the article did to anyone. There is no use antagonizing the cops especially in a small town.

He was condescending and rude. It doesn't matter so much that he was correct. His attitude is enough to get him into trouble. I am from the old school and believe that kids should be respectful. Period.

Flame on,

Luvn

6. southpark

southpark TS Member

I sometimes find it hard to believe so many people are ripe for the shackles of their masters, but my doubts are always dispelled by reality.

What a fine young man. I don't know if I am more impressed with him or the parents that raised him.

Excellence in humanity, however, is exceptionally rare.

If only there were more people like this we would not be going down the road we are.

Our founders rejected being subjects but, remarkably, several hundred years later some folks can't quite shake it off.

Such a pity.

7. southpark

southpark TS Member

Okay 221, have it your way: the law isn't what is written and what the people agreed to, it is what the cops say it is depending on their whim.

Happy now?

He didn't sound like he was hiding behind church services at all. It sounded like he was standing behind the law of his state and some heavy brass, if you know what I mean.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Southpark:

Unfortunately, the law IS what the cops say depending on their whim.

Just try refusing an officer's order to stop an activity, even if it's legal.

Most of the time, the officer will take it to the next level and then it's a REAL problem.

I refer to an officer ordering my son and I to cease duck hunting, even though we were in a legal area. He thought otherwise, and ordered me out of the water.

He then stated that I would certainly be getting a ticket in the mail, even though he didn't have the exact statute on hand.

I never got the ticket, of course. What would have happened if I refused to cease?

HM

9. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

I think the kid was snotty and full of attitude hoping that he would get exactly what happened. I don't think he will win in court and unfortunately could do more harm than good in the long run.

10. incognito

incognito TS Member

southpark gets it,

Most of the rest of you are so pathetic it is amazing we still have any freedom in this country at all. With your attitudes that won't last for long. You make me really sad for the world my kids and grandkids will have to live in because of your lack of character. I see why Michael Moore is so popular when people on a shooting site espouse the same sort of ignorance that he does. It really makes me sick.

11. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

People today have this mind set that the elders are always right. The cops are always right lawyers and parents are always right. Guess what THEY ARE NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. As for cops some do need to be cut off at the knee's. We have let some groups rule over us just because they have some sort of authority in our area. They the authority will then let it go to their head and think YOU CAN NOT DO A THING TO STOP ME. Yes you can. I will be reading what the kid did later but I will add that I know a county that had cops that THOUGHT they had a right to search cars as they pleased. BY LAW they did not but yet they said they did. The local judge put his foot down and TOLD them that they did not and they better stop as of now. We have letthings like this happen because we are to scared and brain washed to stand up and say NO. We are sheep being lead to the butcher shop slowly.

12. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I just read the story and it was not as long as I was told. Please do read it. I first would have to say he did prevoke the cops and the cops just did not know what to do and then did everything they could to save face. The kid had no reason to have the gun on his hip while going to church. In Va you have to be 21 just to have a handgun in your possession. He did good by standing up to them but I will have to say he did it in some what a punk way. I will how ever have to say he did stand his ground well. I have been told that you have to show ID when asked because of 9/11 new laws. He should have had his ID with him because of what he was doing. If he does go to court with his law suit I hope he does win. It will put alot of cops on their back sides. I have been asked by cops if they can search my car and I have said NO. I did not give them a reason to ask and so they should not have asked. They did not like me saying no but thats their problem. As for wearing a gun on the hip like that in public I would not. It would give the gun owners a bad name. I just have my gun under my coat where I can get to it but not seen by the people around me. No need to scare people.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Gargoyle, you are right, but think a minute. the sheep that pushes to the fromt of the line making a lot of noise is much more likely to be butchered.

HM

14. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

The cops are not always right, but there is a time and a place for everything. Don't like the laws? Work to change them. Don't trust the cops? Follow legal protocol. If that kid had been here in the DC Metro area his family would be planning his funeral because around here a kid with a handgun is a threat and if he was percieved to resist the law in any way, he'd be dead. It's unfortunate, but cops are still human and the possibility of making errors in judgement is a very real one.

15. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

southpark said, "Okay 221, have it your way: the law isn't what is written and what the people agreed to, it is what the cops say it is..."

halfmile responded, "... the law IS what the cops say..."

In actuality the law is what a judge or group of judges say it IS.

Unfortunately, activist judges have a nasty habit of legislating from the bench “creating” fallacious and spurious rights while infringing on Constitutionally enumerated rights.

sissy

16. bgf

bgf Active Member

You people that think he has cajones are the ones who have the problem. All of what he espoused may well be true and correct under the law…but this is the REAL world. You say we are giving up our rights and becoming sheep when confronted with authority. I think not. Not one of you…let me repeat this…not one of you would take that crap from a kid. NOT ONE OF YOU…let alone an LEO. In the wake of VA Tech and Columbine I see plenty of reasonable cause to stop him. Going to church or school...makes no difference. And, with all his so-called legalize, he carry's no ID? Give me a break. A previous poster most likely hit the nail on the head when he said he probably Googled it. Come on people…who…even a lawyer…could quote a case law like he did off the top of his head?

Call me a sheep, but I respect authority…even at 63 young years…and find that courtesy is the high road.

I will tell you one thing…if he pursues this in court…he is in for a rude awakening when he is randomly stopped by the constables on a regularly basis after his trial. Make no mistake, we ALL break laws every day in some form or fashion. And, I would not like to be on their (police) hit list. This is real world reality people. You can fantasize all you want about standing your LEGAL ground but that is all it is…fantasy.

I have said my peace so flame away.

Bernie

17. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Halfmile, you are correct, the kid may win this battle, but lose the war as the cops will have it out for him at some point in the future....whether it is a traffic stop etc. but he will be PUNISHED for showing them up......and they will be patient about it, no rush, almost like a game to them...
    Read up on the cop AND perp that were shop in Franconia NH last week. Not all the details have come out, but the cop and perp had a history from a few yrs ago and the cop didn't let up.... and it eventually cost both of them their lives...

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=A+history+of+confrontation%3a++Liko+Kenney+fought+with+Cpl.+Bruce+McKay+on+a+cold+winter+night+in+2003&articleId=f396463a-aa08-4c36-88f1-2715ca662be6

18. famill00

famill00 TS Member

HE DID NOT BREAK THE LAW (according to him...and he seemed pretty knowledgeable).....yet people on this site treat him as he did. I bet that if he was say in his 50's or 60's you all would think about this differently. Just because he is only 18 doesnt mean he isnt old enough to vote and buy cigarettes. At 18 he can go to war for his country and die doing it, yet you all think he doesnt have the right to bear arms. Who cares if he was going to church...what if he had been approached by some sketchy people on his way to church before and felt it necesary to protect himself. Each of you who has spoken out AGAINST this young man should have your NRA memberships revoked...for life. This is a pitiful display of support for fellow shooters....however old they may be.

Forrest

19. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i got out of a lot of trouble when i was young by saying "yes sir" and "no sir", and not rocking the boat.

20. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

One thing not mentioned, he is 18, and as we all know at that age we feel like KING KONG and nothing can touch us. As we grow older, we get wiser and have much more at stake including family, job, and other responsibilities that we do not want to jeopardize by acting like we did when we were 18. I applaud him in his convictions and standing up for his rights, but I feel this kid was risking a lot by his actions and he’s lucky if it doesn’t affect his future in some negative way.

Hawk,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.