1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AMT Backup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bullfrog1, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullfrog1

Bullfrog1 TS Member

Have any one shot the 380 AMT Back Up ? How do you like the gun and is it worth having. Thanks for your time.

2. NealSS

NealSS Member

The AMT backup I think is a Very Good pack gun. I have fired one 20 to 30 times.It does have some kick and noise but that is to be expected.

3. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

Look for something else

4. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Finicky with ammo! Not very accurate! Look for something else ditto. Oh and you won't believe what you have to do when you want to take it aprart to clean it. The later ones were a little better, but dao only. a handful in 45ACP. Lot better stuff out there! Rick Gibbs

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's bigger and heavier than a 380 needs to be, yet with the double action
    trigger that extra size and weight doesn't translate to better accuracy. I got rid of mine.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Check out the Kel-Tec.

Very reasonably priced - realize you get what you pay for.

Not bad recoil and reasonably accurate.

I think it is the pistol that got Ruger thinking about making a small 380.

I had one in 32 (their first) traded it for a 380 and also bought the 9mm.

All are great pistols for the $$.

7. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Go with a Ruger LCP or S&W Bodygauard in 380. I looked at the Keltec and AMT, but felt the Ruger was a much better gun.

I own both the Ruger LCP and S&W Bodyguard. I carry the Bodyguard almost 100% of the time......no specific reason why.

JMHO

Jim C

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have had mine for over 20 years and carried it for backup/off duty.

It works fine, I have never had any misfeeds with it and it takes all types of ammo.

When I got some extra mags for it with the extended bottom finger grip, it made a real big difference in the handling, without ruining the concealment factor.

I find it accurate, because I learned how to shoot double action only.

Shooting double action only, takes a skill that can only be found through a lot of hard work/practice.

In fact I have two H&K's that work almost like a double action (a P7 & PS9) and I perfer over double action first time/single action second and on type autos.

Yes, it's heavy, it's stainless, and not for everyone.

9. ouch

ouch Member

I've had a .380 DAO since the mid 1990's, Carried it almost every day as an off duty and backup weapon. It didn't like all the ammo I tried but after having the ramp, Breach face and magazine ramps polished it ran fine.

I qualified with it 3 times a year and am guessing it has over 1000 rounds thru it. Take down is just knocking out a roll pin. No big deal.

It is certainly not a long range target pistol, But it is a nice pocket gun. At the time I could not afford a Seacamp, But this AMT did fine. I would buy a 9mm today if I could find one at a good price.

In defense of others these AMT backups seem to be either very good or very bad. Hope it works for you! Richard

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

By the way, anyone who is concerned about a certain brand of gun that jams, or ammo that causes a jam, should not consider carrying a semi-auto.

Any semi auto will jam.

Even if yours does not, it could and unless you are practiced at clearing jams, smokestacks and other type of failures, you would be better off with a revolver.

Professionals practice clearing jams and do it often.

Sometimes it can be a poorly designed gun, bad ramp or ammo, but other things can come into play like a magazine with worn springs or a worn slot that engages the mag release.

Inspect you mags often and toss them if they do not feed properly.

That is one advantage about Europeon guns with bottom releases, no slots to wear.

One thing a DAO has over a single action, is you can drive that firing pin into the primer again, before you have to try and clear it, if you ammo is sour.

DAO takes real committment concentration to the trigger with a 10 to 13 lb trigger pull whereas the light pull on a single action might go off when you don't want it to.

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

There are two 380 AMT made, one is single action one is double action only, I may have missed it but I didn't see the OP indicating which one. Either way AMT is one of those companies that had a genius designer but the execution left a lot to be desired, if you get a good one great but many are just poorly made and troublesome. In the past there wasn't much to chose from in a 380 this size, now they are many and most all are better quality plus a company that is still in business could be important.

12. Buster1652

Buster1652 Member

Take a look at the Ruger LC9, small, dependable, and pretty damn accurate.

Can't hardly go wrong for $350.00 give or take.

Plus 9mm will dominate a 380 cal.

Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.