1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammunition Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

A co-worker of mines husband (a retired state police officer)recently passed away leaving her with some of his ammunition. It is marked Law Enforcement Only. She doesn't want it and knows I'm a hunter/shooter. She wants to give it to me to use. Is it illegal for me to own/shoot this ammo? Thanks in adavance. FIB

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

From everything I've read, yes it is legal. But you might want to check with your state and local codes.

Wayne

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Without knowing exactly what ammo you are talking about, we can't be sure.

That being said, it is most probably not illegal. I have ammo for my 45 ACP that is marked Law Enforcement. It was purchased legally. Most LE ammo is available to civilians. For civilians the "self defence" ammo is packed in 20 round boxes and costs $1 a round. The exact same ammo marked Law Enforcement only is packed in 50 round boxes and costs 50 cents are round.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

What is it, pistol, rifle, shotgun, cannon, bazooka?

5. FIB

FIB Member

I haven't actually saw the ammunition yet. I'm assuming it's all handgun ammo either .38 S&W or .357 or 9x19mm but who knows. I'm meeting with her today.

6. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Rick for the info. I hope she has 9mm, or .40 S&W as that is the two handgun calibers I own.

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Part of those marking is also so police officers are not our selling the ammo they get from the department for free.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

That can't be true as law enforcement professionals are beyond reproach. Jeff

9. FIB

FIB Member

Just got the ammo. Several boxes of 9 mm +P+. Can I safely shoot this out of a Glock 17? I would think so since many police agencies use the M17.

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

So the old SW Nyclads are Ileagle ? Jeff

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

FIB, the G17 is rated for any ammo up 43,500 psi. That includes +P+. You might want to get a 19 - 20 lb. recoil spring while shooting them.

Wayne

12. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Why would a cop have teflon coated or armor piercing ammo? Besides the junk from Russia has a steel core that gets picked up with a magnet. That stuff is legal and would cut through a car door. it may be illegal on ranges but its not "illegal" to have.

Anything the cops shoot is completely legal to shoot. If fact I was told when purchasing protection ammo, check with your local police as to what they use because it would be a tough case for a dickhead laywer to say to used "cruel and unusual" rounds to kill some scumbag that tried to harm your family one night.

If they shoot it out of their service guns, you can too.

Cor-Bon DPX. Lots of punch!!!!

13. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks to everyone. I guess I'll buy a heavier recoil spring when shooting the 9mm +P+ ammo out of my G17. FIB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.