1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammunition and loading supplies

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by XP100, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I think most manufacturers are using the supplies used to make rifle & pistol ammo. Most ammo makers don't make all their own components and they are buying vast ammounts from the manufacturers and they don't have enough lead, brass, powder and primers for us reloaders.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Power of the purse. Our club component buy exceeded 200 grand. All delivered from reputable wholesalers.

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Normal eb and flow of the component business, combined with the gun/ammo buying surge from the beginning of the year.

Last year at this time, certain powders and especially Remington components were impossible to find. Don't you recall all of the threads about how Remington is getting out of the reloading business?

I am seeing components slowly filtering back on the shelves of the online vendors. Buy now at an inflated price or wait 6 months and try again.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Hodgdon's web site has an explanation on the shortage.

Ajax

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What makes you think it is going to get better? HMB

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Most ammo makers don't make all their own components and they are buying vast ammounts from the manufacturers and they don't have enough lead, brass, powder and primers for us reloaders."

Then why is it that most of the supply houses do not have dies available. All The website I visit don't die sets available in popular calibers. I have been looking for a set of 45 ACP Hornady dies for over a month. No one has them that I have used in the past Midway doesn't Midsouth Doesn't neither does Graf's. If there are no reloading components available why is everyone buying up all the reloading dies, Presses, Scales and many other items that are usually readily available????

Bob Lawless

7. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I am on several news groups and the people that bought all the reloading sets & dies and other items needed for their reloading setup when they could not find ammo now they can't get powder, brass, bullets and primers.

8. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I won't buy components at inflated prices, as it makes more sense to shoot Top Gun or Gun Clubs for the same or less money. If the demand goes down and things return to normal so will prices.

Trap loads are available here but not at Walmart. Walmart is an exception because of the volume they do by selling everything that comes in overnight the next day. They do the same thing with groceries if you ever shop late at night the store shelves are wiped out as they restock them.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Actually its the "Zombie Hunters" who have depleted a large source of the ammo and reloading supplies.

They are expecting a large harvest with no daily bag limit.

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

ivanhoe:

Gunstop out of MN has most dies in stock.

Link above for Hornaday Nitride 45ACP

I agree that the major retail sites are showing some pretty slim pickings on popular items, especially metallic. Myself I hate to pay Haz-Mat and shipping fees and try to buy components locally.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Doomsday preppers have sucked the market dry. After all, the pipeline is only so big.

Federal's .22 LR line is going 24/7. When my local Fleet farm store gets 22's, they only last a day. (and they stock some lgood size orders)

Check .224 size bullets on Midsouth and Midway if you want to see a shortage.

HM

12. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

WE are the problem.

As soon as someone posts some anti gun garbage and possible laws guys go out and just buy and hoard.

Who the hell needs to buy 10,000 9mm bullets other than to hoard or to resell at inflated prices. same goes with 5.56 and anything else.

They guys bitch when shops impose a 2-3 box limit.

But when I read on here that guys are waiting outside Dicks, Wallmart, gun shops and literally wait for the truck to show up to buy everything no wonder shops impose limits and ration things.

total bullshit that WE the shooters have to take credit for.

Then we get to see 500 Wolf garbage 9mm ammo sell at gun shows for 500 bucks because some a-hole with money will buy it thinking teh sky is falling.

We are the problem.

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Doomsday preppers get blamed a lot but I do not think that is the bulk of the shortage. In case you have not noticed, since the arrogant kenyan moved in, people who don't even like firearms are buying them, in record numbers. They are afraid of the violence when the government systems fail. Everyone is afraid. All those extra firearms need ammo, so the supply chain was already picked thin. When the anti constitutional junk started again, people got more scared. As soon as the ammo dried up, people that had not reloaded anything in their life started setting up to reload. The modern "just in time" manufacturing has almost no buffer, thus the demand rolled over the supply.

Remember a few years ago when we couldn't get shotshell primers? Then we started seeing our buddies selling them on the internet, of course they were wanting $80 per thousand. We have people right on this site that bought ten times what they would ever use as the supply got lean just because they could make a quick buck within a couple months. I am seeing that this time also.

The Feds huge orders are not helping either, I think they are trying back door gun control.

There are many factors, but it all comes back to a single cause. Law abiding, responsible citizens are scared to death of the evil we have in our countries leadership. This was brought about because and only because good men chose to do nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.