1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammo strategy for doubles ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Some folks think through an ammunition strategy for doubles.

They figure on maybe 7/8 or 1 ounce of #8 for the first target and then 1-1/8 ounce of #7½ for the second. This combined with an open choke for the first (e.g., Light Modified) with a tight choke for the second.

Other folks have thought through other ammo strategies for doubles.

Then there are those folks who shoot the identical ammo for both targets on doubles which is likely the same ammo that they use for singles and handicap (e.g., 1-1/8 of #7½ at 1235 fps) through a full choke for both targets.

Does strategizing ammo and choke for doubles help ?

Or is it a distraction ?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ammo?

Probably not. Just use what you use for singles.

Chokes?

I think so. But again, in reality, probably not.

But what do I know, I'm only a Class B doubles shooter.

3. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I like a little hotter load on the second target, but it's not as hot as my handicap load. If possible try to make the first load as light as possible without sacrificing a good break. If you are smoking the first bird then great. Remember it's a lot easier to recover for the second shot when the recoil is minimized for the first. It's worked well for me!

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like 1 oz of 9s for the first shot and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s or 8s for the second bird. Skeet choke for the first bird and I/M for the second bird. But more important than shot size is to have the POI of the second barrel adjusted so you are centered on that second bird. HMB

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Getting off that first shot isn't a problem for most regardless of ammo. Then on to the second, oops, I've lost the good straight down the rib look I had at first?

A stock fitted to you is more important for making a consistent first, second or third shot with a scattergun! You may be able to keep it together for a first shot with an ill fitting stock (sometimes) but you'll pay for the second in stock/cheek/gun relationship when recoil torques the gun one way or other when fired the first time! This (torquing) movement happens while your attempting to lock onto that second target without re-aligning the gun!

Since a great percentage of stocks does not fit the shooter, for either game played, use a light load for that first shot in doubles to help prevent the gun moving away from your original alignment! Too stout of a first shot load will also cause you to raise your head too!! That statement is/was confirmed via a video camera unbeknown to the shooter being videoed! The camera won't allow you to think your right, it will show you exactly what your doing!

There's stock makers out there that do a fantastic job of making pretty stocks out of gorgeous wood! Then there is stock makers that knows the importance of fit and incorporate that into his custom stock! Choose wisely and read Kgun_Shooters post again!

Happy Hap

6. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Some at the range have discussed using a very light load of #9 shot through an improved-cylinder for the first target.

The idea being making the first shot even quicker and more forgiving leaving additional time for the second shot.

Then use their normal 16 yard load for the second.

Do sporting clays shooters do anything special for their first shot ?

7. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Hammer1,

I was introduced to sporting clays last summer by a friend who shoots a lot of trap with me. He likes to use Nitro 27 shells for everything even when we shoot singles and even both shots on doubles. I've noticed that his scores suffer a lot after a couple of rounds, he usually shoots one good round of doubles then he goes to pot. For a long time I couldn't figure out why he shot trap so poorly but dominated the sporting clays course. After my first time shooting sporting clays I figured it out! There is a lot of time between shots on the sporting clays course and a lot of time to recover. You can get away with hot loads on a course like that but for something like trap, where you pound out 25 pairs in less than 20 minutes I think it's much better to use lighter loads. I also found out that 80 percent of the targets that were presented on the sporting clays course could easily be broken with light loads.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, I usually use 1oz #8 @ 1180fps/1 1/8oz #8 @ 1200fps----.020"/.030"

John C. Saubak

"B" doubles

9. ChetH

ChetH Member

I use light 1oz of 8s for both shots. I have three reasons for this. Using a light 1oz load for the first shot helps me recover for the second shot more quickly. A light 1oz shot is fast and when used with a good choke will break the second target just before it hits the ground. The loss of the pellets in the additional 1/8 oz of a standard load does mean that you will not get some number of lucky breaks, but you can't have everything. Lastly, using only one load makes my life simpler. I never put the wrong load in the wrong barrel.

I think this system makes a great deal of sense, as will you until you look at my doubles average.

chet

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shoot the same load through both tubes. Forget about majic ammo/chokes/etc. The formula fo a good score is the same as when you shoot singles or HC, you need to see the target and center it in your pattern. Focus on seeing those targets not all this other stuff like which shell do I put in which tube or some other complex attack stategy.

For shells use 1 Oz @ 1,200 Fps or 1 1/8 Oz @ 1145 FPS either 7 1/2 or #8. First shot choke tube should be modified or a bit tighter, second shot IMOD or full. What ever your choke combo is you want enough to smoke both targets with a centered hits.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Same. one ounce 8, but I sometimes use 8&1/2 for singles in the warm weather.

Pointed right they work fine.

HM

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

7/8 oz of 8.5's running about 1200fps for first shot and 1 oz of 8's 1200fps for the second. I'm shooting both targets on the way up. If I'm shooting with my slide gun then I have .028" choke. If I'm shooting my O/U, it's LM/IM. My doubles league average is a 46 this winter using these shells.

ss

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It makes no sense at all, hitting the second bird just before it hits the ground. Shoot the second bird while it is still rising, that's what most trap guns are setup to do. HMB

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

The best startegy is to make sure you take 50 shells to the line. Don't worry about this or that special shell for the first shot.

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Playing this game for 45 years and knowing what I do now, if it was for "the mental game" with me, I'd use 1 oz 8's for both shots and be done with it.

The one thing I will tell you atleast till you become well seasoned is to use one shell and one shell only for both shots. Host of reasons but simply two important are that you don't need to worry if you have the right two at the trap or if they are in the right hole just prior to firing.

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

1 oz of 9's (950 fps) followed by 1 1/8 of 8's (1150). Skeet and full.

17. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I love Doubles, it's really what keeps me in this game. I usually don't offer up much advise on the technical side, because there are many better shooters than I. And, I realized long ago that 90% of this game is 80% mental. I've been all over the place on shot size, loads, speeds and mind-set.

I'm an A26AA shooter and I finally got here shooting an auto with IMod choke. I don't shoot many singles anymore, but I use my singles load, 7/8's of #8's @ 1200+ for the first shot and 1 oz. of #8's @ 1235 (Hcap's load) for the second. On days when I'm not concentrating well I'll go to all 1 oz. of #8's. But, I fully believe that, for me, it's an all mental, not technical decision. I load two different shells more to stave off abject boredom at the loading bench than technical savvy.

Neil Winston once said that there are more pellets in an ounce of 8's than an 1&1/8 oz of 7.5's. That made good sense to me. This revelation coupled with Mr. Phil Kiner's sage insistence that it's 'focus' first, changed my view of Doubles competition and made the game much more fun, and much less confounding.

Local club Doubles leagues are the perfect place to learn and grow a successful personal Doubles style. I would easily go stir crazy during the winter and spring without them.

IMHO,
    Kip

18. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

definitley need 2 shells in gun. Other than that, just break the target.

Andrew

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are getting confused using two different loads then stay with one load. HMB

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I prefer a 23/4dr. 11/8oz load of 71/2's for the first shot (1145fps) and a full 3dr. 11/8oz load of 71/2's for the second shot (1250fps). I fully understand the reasons for anyone shooting 7/8 or 1oz, but, for me, I like as much lead as I can throw at them, with enough energy to break them. A 11/8oz. load of 71/2's gives me just that. If you can't break them with a 11/8oz. load of 71/2's, you can't break them with anything. 7/8oz or 1oz. loads just do not give me the confidence I require to be comfortable shooting doubles with them. Like Leo says when asked why he shoots 11/8oz of 71/2's, "because they won't allow me shoot anything more".... Seems to work for him... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.