1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammo shortage ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Manufacturers have been running metallic since before the election, and are at or near maximum capacity right now. They are not worried in the least about producting target load shotgun shells right now, since they can sell probably 20 boxes of .223 or 9mm for every one box of 12ga target loads right now.

Things are going to be rough all over for the foreseeable future.

2. hunter870

hunter870 Member

I know I'm not too smart, but I don't get it...

We're worried that they're going to push through some firearms laws that ban "assault weapons" (whatever that means), extended magazines, and the like.

So there's a run on semi-autos and mags that hold over 10 rounds. We've even gone a little nuts on military caliber ammo and jacked those prices way up...

But I was in a store the other day to pick up a plinking brick for the kids, and was told they can't keep .22 long rifle on the shelves and the distributors are backordered for months.

22's?

C'mon....

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I used to buy Federal 745 bulk packed .22's by the case (5500 rounds). I cannot find them anywhere on the net and nobody is accepting backorders for them. I have purchased them from Dunns for $160.00 and free shipping in the past. Now Dunns wants $190.00 and Wholesale Hunters wants $227.00 plus shipping.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The people who may shoot 100 rounds or less of all calibers combined are hoarding everything they can find in a panic stricken daze. The end result is the folks such as myself who shoot 500-2000 rounds of several different calibers per year can't find a box or two of any caliber not to mention
    Reloading supplies for those pistol/ rifle calibers. I was fortunate enough to have had a decent stock of supplies before the mad dash started.

Funny thing is the people who knock Wal Mart but they are one of the few companies who are still selling ammo and guns at normal prices.

5. wayno

wayno TS Member

it's like this: winchester, remington, cci, federal, etc, etc, are no less observant than mr. barnum, as he said, years ago: "there's a fool born every minute".

everyone who owns a rifle chambered in 223 has bought every single cartridge that they can find. why? because, as they did four years ago, they have bought into this tin hat theory that all their guns are gonna be taken away, etc, etc. so, responding to these recognized demands, the ammo makers have cleared the decks to make nothing but the ammo they expect to be highest in demand.

and one of the lowest in demand? 22rimfire. supply doesn't exist. demand is low. it's like germany between the two wwars--not inflation, but deflation. same will possibly happen with high quality target shells.

but, this, too, will pass. as it did years ago. and folks will be trying to give away 223 55 gr fmj. meanwhile, relax, buy as much arms company stock as you can, and have a drink.

capitalism always gets even...

6. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Tin hat theory? Tell that to our shooting friends in New York!

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

wayno is an idiot. He fails to see that his beloved Muslim Dictator Obama along with the Chief idiot Biden have intentions of making a long list of firearms illegal ala the big ban list like the former idiot in charge Clinton did. Morons like wayno fail to understand that these ridiculous lists of firearms to be banned are concocted by anti-gun pawns who have absolutely no idea what 99% of the guns they propose to ban even look like let alone what they are used for. One doesn't need to confiscate the firearms to take away our rights. They simply do like the idiots in NY did and put stupid unthought out restrictions on virtually every gun imaginable. Of course being a Liberal with his head in the sand, wayno just smiles as they restrict, ban and limit our rights away. Tell the folks in NY that all is well there wayno then stick your head back up your butt.

Oh my gosh, a bayonet lug, a threaded barrel, a Thumbhole stock, a pistol grip and black in color. What an awful thing. Hope nobody runs in a crowded room with that threaded barrel. Jeez, this is the type of thinking going on by the folks who are reviewing our 2nd Amendment rights. Scary.

8. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Every place I look, most, if not all, ammo is marked "Out of Stock and No Back Order"!!

Glad I bought some a couple of month's ago!!

Allen

9. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Was told that porting on a SBT was evil and should be banned.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Look at what folks are paying for ammo on GunBroker... hysteria prompting insanity buying...

Jay

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Wayno?.....hello??......do I hear crickets in february??

12. wayno

wayno TS Member

frank: what are you talking about? i responded to this ammo shortage business two hours ago, in this thread...

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Ask a prepper....22 cal rimfire ammo will be the new money after the poo hits the propeller.

Keller

14. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

FWIW

Above link is supposed to give some info to current circumstances.

15. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

It's really quit simple, If you had bought shootgun shells for $20 dollars 12 year ago they would now be worth 59 dollars. That's a 200% return on investment!
    So why not buy all the shells you can, it's a lot better than the stock market.
    There has never been a chase of shells droping more than a few dollars. The smart money should be invested in shells..............

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I visited the store where I retired from today and suppliers such as Big Rock and Elliot Brothers advised that they have gotten all the guns they will receive this year. In place of 22L they could only get 22 Shorts and bought 250,000 rounds. They did get in three AR's and had ordered 25. Got in 15 boxes of 9mm ammo and had ordered 150. Basically, they suppliers said they didn't have a clue when they would get any pistol ammo but for now they had plenty of shotgun shells. I ordered me two of the new .17 win super mag and they advised that I probably wouldn't get them until first of April. No idea on the ammo for them. Jackie B.

17. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Anyone with a brain larger than a walnut, realized a while back that since .22 shells cannot be reloaded...one needed to buy an ample supply...just in case.......if you did not buy an ample supply.....you will be up the creek for the foreseeable future.......

Don't blame the prudent FOR YOUR INCAPACITY TO PLAN AHEAD!

18. cnsane

cnsane Member

I believe Aesop covered this problem centuries ago-- and offered a solution. It does most of you no good at the moment, but you may want to read his parable about the ant and the grasshopper- substituting the word components in place of the word grain.

19. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

A guy at our club just sold 45 boxes of 223 steel cased Wolf (Russian made) ammo for $22 a box!!!!! Holy Smokes!!!! That's a lot of rubles!!!!

20. hunter870

hunter870 Member

"Anyone with a brain larger than a walnut, realized a while back that since .22 shells cannot be reloaded...one needed to buy an ample supply...just in case......."

In case of what?

Other than here I've not heard of any serious legislative proposal to ban .22s. Is there something out there or are we just creating our own "crisis"?

I'm taking this to the next level. I've got slingshots for ten bucks each and a yard full of rock "ammo" that I'll sell off for twenty five cents a round...very cheap,reusable,in good supply, and buyers can stockpile to their heart's content to prepare for the coming of the new world order. Cash only please, or I'll trade for .22 long rifle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.