1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammo, range and gun prices then and now

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Today it costs me $7.00 per game and $6.00 for a box of shells ($13.00).

Today you can get a respectable trap gun for $1300 (e.g. a nice used BT-99).

So today the cost of shooting 100 games is the same as a respectable trap gun.

What was the relative price 50 or 75 years ago?

2. TC

TC TS Member

Just from memory may not be exact mid to late 60's:

$2.00 Round

$2.00 New AA plastic

$350.00 Browning Broadway

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

An article of interest...

These days, if you want to shoot, you’re going to pay

When it comes to shotgun shells, we’re back to the good old days. Unfortunately, the good old days weren’t so good.

If you’ve ever heard your father or grandfather talk about how they parceled out shells like they were gold, there’s a reason. In proportion to the pricing of the day, shells were expensive. They’ve gotten that way again.

It’s true that in 1970 or so, you could go to Gibson’s or Gaylord’s, the discount stores of the day, and get Winchester Dove and Quail Loads for $1.99 a box just before dove season. Anybody who ever shot those shells will never forget them.

READ THE COMPLETE ARTICLE

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100822/news/100829913&tc=yahoo

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

The following adjusts any given amount of money for inflation, according to the Consumer Price Index.

$2.00 in 1969 = $11.57 in 2009
    $350.00 in 1969 = $2,025.00 in 2009

Looks like trap shooting has become cheaper over the years. I am POSITIVE there will be those that dispute the facts.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I could only dream about having enough shotgun shells as a kid to go target shooting with. This was in the late 60's. I remember the sale price on Federal HiPower 20 gauge ammo was around $4.50 per box. Relative to the time I think ammo was more expensive back then. Even .22 ammo seemed expensive or at least I never had nearly as much of the stuff as I wanted.

For me at least the good old days in terms of being able to afford recreational shooting are going on right now.

6. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

It would appear to me that the price of a good trap gun has kept even with inflation but the cost of ammo has thankfully lagged behind.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The price of most everything has gone up with inflation over the years.

The exception is option entry at trapshoots. Year after year the people writing programs felt they had one controllable expense for trapshooting and that was to not raise the option entry.

Trouble is that the option payoffs are now so trivial that most people don't bother entering them. It's been a major flaw in trap tournaments for years.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Mid 1970's: I could relaod for a nickle a round. Around Denver a round cost $1.00-$1.50.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun ranges outrages prices then and now