1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammo questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerrylaw1, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerrylaw1

Jerrylaw1 TS Member

Hey guys, i'm new here and im sure this has been asked and answered a million times but....I've shot trap a few times, but im getting into it more seriously this year. What are the better ammos to shoot with?

I'm shooting a Browning Cynergy - I usually use Remington gun club ammo. It seems to be about the run of the mill cheap stuff. Is there an upgrade to this or is it about average? Its working fine with the gun, but i don't know if there is something I should consider trying out. Thanks

Jerry

2. trap906

trap906 Member

best target ammo around is Remington STS

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

For 16 yard, Doubles and short yardage ... the Gun Clubs, Federal Top Guns and Win Universals will be just as good as the premium stuff.

Premium ammo is what you want when you get all the way back with the Big Boys ... use the savings on ammo in order to shoot more!

A wise old shooter once said " The sorriest shells are better than 99% of the shooters at short yardage."

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Winchester AA's or Remington's STS's are the top 2 target shells. Both have 6 percent antimony lead. Gun Clubs,Top Guns,walmarts shells and most of the economy loads have 3 percent antimony, and some maybe less. The more antimony the harder the lead is. After all it is the lead that breaks the target, is it not??? Now the choice is yours. Break-em all. Jeff

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Discount shells seem to work fine. I shoot about 1/3 discount shells, 1/3 reloads and 1/3 new Winchester AA shells. I have not been able to detect any significant difference in the way these different shells break targets. I do not know if this inability to perceive differences among these different shells is a comment about the shells or a reflection of my inconsistent shooting.

Pat Ireland

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

If you shoot factory premium shells for 16's, short HC, or doubles you are wasting money.

At a recent shoot I saw a guy shooting AA's at the 16 and he was missing 2-3 birds a field. The best ammunition will not work if you do not put the pellets on the bird.

For some reason, some guns will prefer a certain load/shot size. Shoot a few patterns and see if your gun is "picky".

Many of us wind up shooting equivalent premium loads at 16's and doubles because we shoot reloads made with good components.

My gun loves the Top Gun 2 3/4 dram load and it is one of the least expensive shells out there. Go figure?

Don Verna

7. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

If you put the gun in the right place, any of the shells will break your target.

If broken lots of targets at 50-60 yards with 7/8 reloads in 5 stand.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Don is correct, put them on paper and see which is best for the choke you are using with that gun. You might find changing chokes for a better pattern could be a lot cheaper than premium shells. Wayne

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Since you are just starting, if you have any plans on reloading in the near (six months or so maybe) future, I would suggest using shells that have huilt up a good reputation for serving for reloading use. Rem STS and Rem Gun Clubs use the same reloading data and both provide a long life in reloading service.

If you do not have any plans for reloading, you can stop reading right here.

Win AA USED to be the reloader's choice BUT THOSE DAYS SEEM TO HAVE ENDED. They changed (cheapened) the shell to where they were splitting on first firing and there were a fair number of reports of bas wad seperaration with some lodging in the barrel. THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING! Maybe they have gotten that base wad problem licked but they lost the reputatiuon they had and all for only a few cents. Go figure.

Federal also was regarded as a good shell but again, it looks like somebody decided to change something and there have been some reports of the shell actually separating from the base and lodging in the barrel. It took a fair amount of force to remove the shell body from the barrel in the reports that were posted here. There is also a paper Federal target shell but for reloading it would not be a common choice. The paper shell has a number of loyal fans but finding it, unless you are at a major shoot or supplier, might be a problem.

The cheaper Winchester and Federal shells are not a first choice of most reloaders. If they have a paper baswewad, most reloaders will either not use them at all or only for one or two reloads.

Most shells used now have a plastic base wad but you may run into some of the plastic tube and paper basewad style shells.

In any case, the Rem Gun Club, Win Super Target and Federal Top Gun will serve you well at the shorter ranges. Others use Estate, Rio or other lesser known brands very effectively at 16s doubles and 20-23 yd (or so) Hdcp distances. By the time you get back to yardage where the premium shells would start showing a possible advantage, you will have built up enough experience and background knowledge to know which shells you like at longer distances.

10. Jerrylaw1

Jerrylaw1 TS Member

Hey thanks everybody. I found a sale at Dicks last night and picked up 100 rounds if Win AA's for 4.98 a box. I'm going to give them a whirl and see what happens. Heres another question if I try and shoot paper to see the patterns:

1- How far away should the target be?
    2- What size should the pattern be at that distance?

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Lrt a buddy load your gun with diff. brands of shells and hand it to you to shoot. Chances are you won't be able to tell the diff. On the lower cost shells,I prefer Federal Top Gun or Estate. My breaks are as good or better than with STS or AA for less money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.