1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammo Price Rumor

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Paper Skeet, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paper Skeet

Paper Skeet Member

Well, I went to the club today and the old farts (yes, I'm and old fart too, but these guys are older and fartier) were talking about ammo prices tripling as of January 1, 2008. I'm told them I didn't think so, but they insisted it was going to happen. Does anybody have any insight with Remington or Winchester to confirm or deny this rumor?

Jack

2. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

From what I have heard, there may be a 12-15% increase but the prices definately will not triple.

3. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Most dealers are looking at 15% increases. Whoever thinks it's 200% is smoking something illegal.

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Somoerz, you are right! They must be smokin the stuff or takin it by injection. 15% is realistic with increase in costs and the dollar over seas

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My wholesalers advise 20% jump on 01/01/2008
    Mike Battista

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Earl ... buy flats of the 20 ct boxes of #8s and it is even cheaper than that.

7. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Chuckles, I belong and have never seen a deal like that. Is it one store or one paticular area? They very rarly mail me anything except my bill.
    Dan

8. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

I recently purchased 22 flats of Estates number 8#'s ( with store discount & $10 coupon )for approx $38 a flat. You got to keep looking around for deals and purchase them when ever possible. Good luck!

Rick

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Earl ... currently at a local Dicks Sporting Goods within the continental United States.

Remington Game Load in either a #7.5 or #8 shot in the 25ct boxes are going out the door at $35.90 when they utilize the 10% flat discount. This works out to 14.4¢ per shell.

Remington Game Load in #8 shot in the 20ct boxes are going out the door at $26.80 when they utilize the 10% flat discount. This works out to 13.4¢ per shell.

Now 1¢ may not seem like allot of money but that equals 25¢ a round of trap or $1 for a 4 round day of shooting.

Now if they allow you to use and you take into account the $10 off coupon for a $50 purchase the numbers change to being 12.4¢ per round when you purchase 2 flats in the 25ct boxes and 10.9¢ per round when you purchase 2 flats in the in the 20ct boxes.

Now the numbers change even more when you purchase more. I will let somebody else, if they so desire, to run the numbers when you take into effect a coupon from the special Dicks reward programs and if you purchase enough (on 1 receipt) to qualify for the Remington/Dicks gift card when you purchase Remington products. Currently that program can work out pretty decent in you want to stock up on shells and spend $550 or more.

I have in the works now to get enough shells to last till about mid summer or later next year a little better pricing than what I was purchasing at a year ago. By time it is all over I will have enough shells that should last me well into June, most likely July and possibly August with these deals.

Now just for those reloaders out there ... just for shat and giggle purposes only can you load a 1oz shell at 1290fps for less than 11.5¢ a round to include an allowance of 2¢ for a hull? Basically can you load for less than a dime a shell? Ya'll might want to hang up and quit reloading for the above types of numbers.

10. BMC

BMC Member

Remember the price hike on Sept 1? I bought out my local Walmart just before. Guess what, the shells are still the same price today as they were then. I guess because they by so much volume that it takes a while for hikes to take effect. It is possible we won't see the first of the year hike on the consumer level until early spring.

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Prices at Wally World has been the same since the hike back in July or August. Wal-Mart buys in such qty and locks the vendors to a set price that they basically lock there pricing for months and months on end.

Earl ... do you think it is just the different shell that your noticing or would the 6 vs 8 crimp be that much of a difference. What does the crimping actually have to do with it anyway? Ya know ... I have some of each right now and I am really going to look closely at the packaging and labeling and such. I did not notice the crimp difference this weekend and the shells looked exactly the same ... now I'm curios. I am use to the game loads and for the actual less than a penny difference I will get the 25 counts if there is a difference. Luckily enough my local Dicks said they would order what I wanted if didn't have the qty on hand and would honor the pricing when they came in.

12. BMC

BMC Member

Not sure where you will end up with this, but...
    I use Federal Game Shok 1oz 1290fps 7.5 and 8 for singles, doubles and sometimes for handicap. These are the only shells I buy, period.

13. break25

break25 TS Member

I keep reading how much they are buying the shells for, but the never include he SALES TAX.

CHAZZ

14. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I went to pick up my new Browning XT yesterday and while I was filling out the paper work I heard another gentleman ask the dealer about ammo picing and the dealer said prices are about doubled from 2 years ago and said there is no sign of them stopping any time soon

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

$2.98x6%=3.16 a box today at Walmart. See above.

Jerbear

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sportsmen's Warehouse here Raised Estates 90 cents a box yesterday at noon.

From 4.39 to 5.29.

HM

17. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I noticed with 20-guage, the prices went up 18% - not 15% for Remington STS.
    I bought a 20 ga Remington 1100 LT-20 for my wife, who has shot all of three boxes of shells with it this summer. I only have one split of factory STS 8s and one of 9s for her gun.

However, I do have lots of components and picked up three target boxes full of assorted 20 ga once fired hulls and a nifty Mec Junior I bought a year ago still new in the wrap. Looks like I'll be cranking the handle this winter for her shells and mine.

Screw these prices; I'll shoot as long as my components hold out and cut back my shooting by half in the future. I can't cope with these BS price increases.

At this rate, we won't have to wait for the Democrats to ban guns, the ammo companies are doing it for us - and I don't believe for one minute the shady distributors sell out of factory shells, they simply jack the prices across the board and when you get your "new" boxes, check the flaps - usually made 2 to 3 years ago.

What's happening is participation is dwindling-which primarily is HUNTING not the clay target sports and the ammo makers are jacking up their prices to fill the gap on those customers who remain - just like local politicians do with taxes when businesses move out and section 8 and welfare cases move in....
    those who remain have to fill the revenue gap and carry the town (or ammo maker in this case)

Hunting accounts for 80 to 85% of all domestic ammo sales and hunting has declined by more than 50% in many areas of the US and that is the real reason ammo prices are being jacked as much as they are. Metals are only part of the story. Metals fluctuate. Lead has leveled off in recent weeks/months - so where's the justification for 15 to 20% increases quarter over quarter for ammo? It isn't there. The answer is in the declining hunting participation numbers.

18. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

That's a good deal.... get what you can while you can. I don't feel as bad as I did five and six years ago for stocking up on mil surp .30-06; .308 & .223.

You can't even get it anymore and when you do find some - the .223 is over 50-cents per shot and the .308 & .30-06 close to a dollar per shot- for plain jane, target punching surplus - not top of the line hunting ammo

19. leadvail

leadvail Member

Sportsmans Warehouse Gold Medals Yesterday @ 8.99 bx up from 7.99 in Colorado.
    It's coming, just like what happened to lead shot.
    Stock up.

20. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Until Jan 1, when they go up another 15-20% or more, across the board as has already been communicated from manufacturers to distributors.

Until we get a 50% increase in active HUNTING nationwide, the ammo makers won't be selling enough ammo to stay profitable. Look at Remington, for example. They were recently bought by Cerberus (the same holding company that owns Chrysler) They have installed ex-Bushmaster people to run the day to day ops and their goal is to convert Remington to a MILITARY CONTRACTOR.

Look at the numbers and do the math:

Remington's latest 10-k report shows roughly half of their operating revenue comes from AMMO sales. 85% of their ammo sales are for hunting. IHunting has as much as a 50% decline in many states - therefore - LESS ammo being sold, therefore, jack up prices as far as they can go for as long as they can, with that smaller segment of the market that is carrying them (namely, US the target shooters who consume 15% of the ammo sold - but can bear higher prices LONGER than the average "hunter" who shoot less often, spend less on ammo but there are seven or eight "hunters" for every "target shooter".

Eventually, the target shooters will drop off, but by the time that happens, (in the next 12-18 months), they would have successfully converted the business to military contracts and we won't matter any more

What does this mean?

It means buy all you can, while you can NOW. Because the lower prices will not be coming back, and at some point, the good shells like Remington STS will go away and they'll start charging the same for "sport loads" and "gun clubs" as they do for STS. Also, all the "cheap" foreign imported shells will go way up in price as the dollar continues to fall.

The sky IS falling, buy ammo now or be prepared to pay gouger prices for crap ammo in the next 1-2 years. Or be prepared to sit and stare at your guns in the safe and can't shoot them because you can't afford to buy - or find - ammo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.