1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammo or the pistol?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I went to the indoor range last week, took along my Colt Woodsman .22 i loaded the clip woth Winchester wild Cat Long rifle. The shells would not feed to the chamber, tried again still wouldn't feed. Relaodes the clip woth Federals .22 LR and the Federals started to feed. Not as well as it should but far better than the Winchester could it be the brand? After the second clip of Federals it was flawless operation.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Woodsman works best with a magazine - save the clips for the Garand.

Winchester Wildcat ammo just plain sucks most Federal rimfire ammo is pretty good. You didn't mention the bullets style or loading but that could have alot to do with the feeding problem.

Try a box of CCI mini-mags with the 40 gr round nose bullet. If the gun won't cycle those then look to problems with your magazine(s) or perhaps a weak mainspring.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Bruce:

Did you try to shoot the Winchester ammo after the Woodsman started loading the Federal ammo "flawlessly"?

You may have had some type of wax buildup on the Winchester ammo.

Also, look carefully at where the bullet meets the case. I have had problems with some ammo where the bullet was slightly cocked when inserted into the case and would not feed into my Ruger Competition Target.

At any rate, the Woodsman shoots one brand of ammo "flawlessly" so it is probably not an issue with the Woodsman.

Ed Ward

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Was the Wildcat ammo fresh? They made that stuff back in the early '70s.
    Used to cost $0.77 a box.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think ammo does matter and you just have to experiment

that kind of sucks but it comes down to that

You could purchase another magazine but then you have just thrown an additional variable in

Regards from Iowa

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

When I had my Woodsman I had the least trouble with the Winchester T22 target loads.

ctreay

7. build4u

build4u Member

One of my 22 pistols (Buckmark) shoots a terrible group with a lot of bullets that are waxed lead. The bullets are damaged if you unload one that chambered out of the magazine with out firing it. They get a little smiley face on them. It does like the CCI with plated bullets. I am not sure if it is actually a copper plating or not but the groups are way better. The overall length can vary, it may like a longer or shorter length only to go up the feed ramp.

8. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Sounds like the chamber may be peened and needs ironing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.