1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammo. mfgs. struggle to keep up w/demand.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ammo Manufacturers Scramble to Keep Up with Demand, Reassure Eager Customers
    April 3, 2013
    Click above and read the article.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I'm sure the are honking it out as fast as they can, although it may be tempting they really don't want to expand production a whole bunch because when this current frenzy is over they would have a lot of capacity sitting idle, and machine tools don't come cheap

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Reports from the huge Tulsa Gun Show indicate that the ammo buying frenzy is in full force...is it time to take up another hobby? Regards, Ed

4. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

It's hard to believe with the record profits being made, that any business with competition won't expand to meet demand.
    There are many, many businesses that work/ hire through seasonal ups and downs i.e., agriculture, clothing manufacturing, etc.
    Given they might want to invest in equipment, there's always 12-16-24 around the clock shifts. There's still a bunch of people looking for work.

5. Catpower

I have read that a lot of them are going 24-7, but the machines will only crank out so much, it would make about as much sense to go out and spend a few hundred thousand on a new combine or cotton picker because of a bumper crop, when they get caught up the high dollar machines would sit idle

Plus there is a lead time to getting the machines built, they don't build them just to sit until somebody buys them

But if anybody on here really wanted to make a change they could open their own company LOL

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The current demand might last for awhile, but I remember 6 month after the last ammo buying frenzy not too long ago, U.S. manufactured 9x19mm FMJ went from $25.75 to $9.95/box.

I bought one box of the $25.75 just for the sticker on it to mind myself how high it was, so when I saw $9.95 on the shelf 6 month later, I bought 4000 rounds of it, so I don't have to buy any if there's another hype in the near future.

If the current price became acceptable/normal like $4.00 fuel, I'll buy when I need it.

7. white rattler

white rattler Member

I don't know about you guys but I am not buying into all this BS I watched a show the other night about Federal making 22 shells. What I got out of this show was that this one factory is turning out 4 million 22 shells every 24 hours. That is just one company and one factory. Now think about the other makers of 22 shells Winchester and Remington plus the other small makers, you are going to tell me that they can't feed the retail market. PS the big block stores in Phoenix have been out of 22 shells of any volume since before last Christmas. I am calling Bull Shit on this one. Trevor Dawe

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Steve makes a lot of sense.

-Gary

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

w.r. 's info is a perfect example of how stupid this ammo hype is. Are we, the American shooters shot millions of Federal .22LR every 24 hours? where did those .22LR ammo went?

Ammo manufactories have been through this silly, stupid hypes too many times, U.S shooting market has not expended greatly in the last 10 years, you can tell by looking at how many new shooting ranges opened during this time frame.

They knew when those stupid buyers realize they had enough ammo (at this price) for the next 5 or 10 years, they'll stop buying for a long time. What the manufactories will do then? Huge inventory means discounted wholesale and retail. They can't and won't expend just because this hype, it's easy to hire more people and buy new equipments, but it's much more difficult and painful to lay off and shut down production.

10. Catpower

So true Steve, that is what I have been saying

11. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Keep in mind Remington cancelled support of the GREAT EASTERN skeet shoot. Typically one of the top ten shoots in the country every year. Reason? No profit!! No money. Yeah right. While federal and Winchester have continued with rebates they have not. They also own the rights to the name Great Eastern. So the shoot is basically dead no matter if a sponsor could have replaced them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.