1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ammo disposal

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

I throw it in the burn bin or give it to the local neighborhood kids to play with.

Why not see if one of the local gun clubs has any youth leagues or youth training and donate it to them.

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Assuming you're talking about shotshells...

I take them home and disassemble the hull with a shell cutter, reclaim the lead, dump the wad and the powder and drop the brass and primer into a lidded quart paint can half full of WD-40. A couple weeks of soaking unattended ruins the primer and I discard the brass.

I use bullet pullers to disassemble old 5.56 and 7.62 rounds, recycle the bullets and soak the cases to kill the primers.

Mike

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I have read that once the WD-40 dries out the primer can be fired.

So after disassebling the shotshell, I would fire off the primer in my gun.

The powder is a good fertilizer.

If you do not reload offer the lead shot to someone who does.

Jason

4. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Your local law enforcement agency might destroy it for you. We had people come in with old ammunition and ask us to get rid of it for them. We were happy to help. Michael

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

If its rifle ammo two ways. I have pulled the bullets and then melted the lead for shot. If you don't want to do that then take it to a bridge that is over water and dump it. If its shot shells then cut them open and get the shot and anything else you want then dump the rest. They will not go off on you if thats what your thinking.

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Your local law enforcement agency might destroy it for you. We had people come in with old ammunition and ask us to get rid of it for them. We were happy to help."</blockquote>

Our local constabulary isn't so accommodating. They told me that they have to document ammo destroyed as defective and they "can't be the disposal service for everyone with a bad bullet".

<blockquote>"I have read that once the WD-40 dries out the primer can be fired."</blockquote>

The one good thing about WD-40 is that it never dries out. That same gummy goo that it leaves behind in everything it's sprayed on is also what keeps primers from firing after a soak. And if the ammo wouldn't fire "in someone else's gun", I doubt it would fire in mine either.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.