1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammo at gun show

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

On Saturday went by a gun show being held at a convention center north of Houston. It was packed with both vendors and buying customers. Looked like every table had customers filling out forms to buy guns.

The entire convention center parking lot was full and cars were parked alongside the roads going in each direction.

Every table was packed with AR-type guns for sale. Guns that sold for $700 to $1,000 last summer were selling for $3,000+ yesterday.

The normal assortment of shotguns, revolvers, 1886 Winchesters were missing. Didn't see any Winchester Model 21s, no Browning Superposed, and no Parkers for sale. No first generation Colts.

Guess that 95% of all guns on display and sale were ones that Obama wants outlawed. Of course, Obama really wants to outlaw everything.

There was plenty of ammo for sale. Name-brand factory ammo was plentiful. 30-06 was $14 per box. 308 Winchester was $39 per box. 223 was $69 per box (guess the prairie dogs are safe for this year). Same size boxes and brands. People were buying.

Didn't see any rimfire ammo for sale. Nor shotshells.

The only gun dealer there that looked lonely was one with a single Browning Citori for sale, a couple of N-frame Smiths, and no "good stuff".

Heard a story that a young man bought an AR from a dealer in the morning. Put a "for sale" sign on it as he walked around the show. Sold it back to the original dealer a few hours later for a nice profit. Then the dealer marked it up again and had it sold within the hour. Don't know if the second buyer was the same young man who had bought it in the morning.

The buyers were there in mass.

The market forces of supply and demand are at work.

2. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Seems like some young industrious person ought to be buying guns and ammo in Kansas City and hauling it to Houston.

3. daveship

daveship Member

I was at the ft lauderdale gun show over the weekend. Or I should say outside the show really. People showed up by the thousands to buy mostly, and although the venue was large and the parking areas larger even still, it could not handle the human traffic. I decided to go there to sell only. I had my radio flyer wagon filled with 223 remington 308 federal
    45acp am eagle and magtech 40 s&w I ado brought some 30rd Sf15 mags and some glocks 21 hi caps. As I approached the front of the building I was immediately accosted by a news reporter and her camera crew as a man approached me to buy some 223 ammo. She is yelling at us "how do you know its legal to sell this ammo to each other? Fl you both have concealed weapons licenses?Florida state law is anyone over 21. I am 54 and the buyer was clearly in his 60s . I got really afraid and the gentleman ran off paying only half of the agreed upon price. The rest of the day was better. I sold some of what I had at reasonable prices.There was some real gouging going on there though. P mags for$80-$100 223 ammo for 30 a box ar 15s were 1750 and up from what I saw 9mm for 25-30 a box There was an announcement that the fire marshal was restricting the flow due to regulations. It was peaceful though. There was no fighting or argueing. I think everyone was entertained.I left after 90 minutes and did not return Sunday. I hope this ends soon so we can all go back to our regularly scheduled lives.....

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Seems like some young industrious person ought to be buying guns and ammo in Kansas City and hauling it to Houston."

Yeah, that would be a great way to get yourself free room and board plus three squares a day for a LONG time. Can you say Federal Prison? Without the proper credentials such as a FFL(perhaps more) I believe they call that Interstate Firearm Trafficking.

5. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

A young industrious person can have an FFL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.