1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AMEX gold card?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I get a offer each month to get a AMEX gold card.. always talking about points and free airfare.. I buy thousands of dollars worth of manufacturing supplies each year, all of our accounts are due in 30 days which we pay within that time frame.. Is it worth getting one of these cards to get all the bonus points? thanks!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I had an American Express Gold Card when my family owned a buisness. We liked it because of its no limit as well as the fact that you have to pay it completely in 30 days. Kept us honest. We used the bonus points for Airfare and Hotels for our buisness trips. We basically used it for most of our purchases. They also had great buyer protection for theft etc. The only drawback i recall was not everyone accepts American Express or at least back then it was that way. Seems Visa is accepted everywhere.

Is it better than others?? I have no idea.

Matt

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

No real reason to pay for it when you can get their Blue Cash card with now annual fee and cash back. I had the platinum for points and other perks and got rid off it, just not worth it.

4. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Why pay to play when you can get other cards with more benefits, accepted anywhere, for free?

5. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

US Bank World Perks Visa.

6. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Capital One Visa. I believe it costs $80 per year, but you get 2 miles for every dollar spent. You can use the points for the exact amount of the airfare, hotel, car rental, etc. If you spend $10,000 per year on the card, you will earn $200 worth of points. You are $120 ahead each year. You only need to spend $4,000 to breakeven.

7. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

blkcloud,

Depends on how and how much you will use the card. It's especially useful if you travel and stay in "unusual" places, and/or attend functions. You get to use your airline mileage points without blackout dates, and get courtesy late check-out and upgrades in your hotels. If you've been with AMEX for a while, you get to develop a relationship with a particular AMEX person, and she essentially functions as your resource or speak-to insider. They've been able to get me tickets to supposedly sold-out events, great tables in "not-accepting reservation" restaurants, and have resorts bend over backwards to accommodate reasonable requests. I've been with them since the early 80s and find their service valuable.

Chichay

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I do not fly much so the miles mean nothing to me.

I have and use the American Express Business "OPEN" card. There is no fee for it. I get 3% cash back on gas,office supplies and some other items and 1% back on everything else. It is credit taken off your bill 2 months later. I got $15.00 and change taken off my last months bill.

I pay all my gas and insurances using it to save the extra dollars.

Works great for me.

Maybe the cash saved is better than the miles for you too. You just have to do the math. Ray

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I think that any card is worth the effort to use them. Most of them give you points. I used to use the one with points but then had trouble figuring where to use the points. The points are great if you travel but if you have the points and need to buy STUFF it is a bad deal. I changed to a cash back card. The points are a better deal because of the airfare thing but use a card for everything and it provides a record at the end of the month, some off the books money back, and if your supplier takes a card it gives a few extra days or maybe a month extra to pay the bill so you get cash flow motordoc

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I had AMEX Platinum cards since 1985, got some attentions and respects from time to time.

The concierge service was pretty good, found me rooms during a few booked out weekends at some nice hotels, got me tables at those hard to get in restaurants, free companion tickets when I pay full fare in business or first classes on some airlines. The most impressive concierge service was they located a matching dinner set from London to replace the 40 years old one I broke in a party. The $300 then $450 membership fee was worth it.

I canceled my Platinum card when they sent me the invitation for their then new Centurion card, it was $4,500 yearly membership plus $5,000 initial fee, I figure there's no end to this silly "prestigious" black card gimmick, and who the heck I need to impress with the card I use? I get a lots of respect when I give 30% tips at the restaurants if I like their services, besides I don't break fine dinner plates everyday. :)

Now, I'm using the FREE AMEX Platinum Cash Rebate cards from Costco, not only it's free of membership fees, I receive (average) $1,500~$2,000 rebate checks every year for using it.

The manager at the Four Seasons hotel, the British Airways airport lounge receptionist still call me Mr. W. I can live without that Black card for sure.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I've been a gold card user since '80 or so. Have no idea why or what I have received. Travel has always been limited for me other than business related. Seems like I am always the one on the giving end...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.