1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Trap - why?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Reading the results from the Spring Grand I see there were 49 perfect scores of 100 in the tuesday singles - at least i think that's what i read.

There were eleven perfect 100's the day before at 16 yard singles.

I don't get it.

What's the point?

Is anybody challenged by this format anymore??

2. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I am.

Tom R.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I am. I shot twelve ATA 99's last year with only one 100.

How many hundreds have you run?

Shannon

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

In what respect Tom?

Trying to attain perfection or win your class?

Watching top level shooters work 16 yard singles and grind out clean round after clean round is incredibly boring. The challenge is no longer there for shooters in A class and above.

Oh yes, it's a wonderful ego stroke to bang out a high score on a consistent basis but is that all there is? Winning singles champ at a major event looks to be more like a war of attrition than a competition of shooting skill.

Anybody?

Beuller?

5. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Challenged by it?? I don't know how you feel when you break them all and get in the shoot offs, but to most, it's very rewarding. Talking to Harlan at the last state shoot about running all 200, I got the impression he is very challenged by the competition.

Singles may seem boring to some, but how about handicap,,how about doubles?? Break them all there and you've done something. Very few people ever have. There's nothing boring about it.

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Shannon, you've already demonstrated your ability to hit targets for a very high score. Is it a competition of skill or mental attrition for you at this stage?

And to answer your question, I have zero 100 straights, I too am permanently afflicted with 99's.

Have to admit though that reading of Sean Hawley running 1000 straight in doubles is pretty impressive - but my point here is 16 yard singles, doubles and caps are a different game.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

To me it's very boring watching D class shooters miss. It's poetry in motion watching a master that is on top of his or hers game.

Once again how many hundreds have you attained to make it so boring?

8. I WON

I WON TS Member

Don't for get;

World All Around Championship
    “ The World Series of Shotgun Shooting”
    Date: May 08 - 11, 2008

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Paladin, I agree with you about caps and doubles, those are VERY different disciplines to 16 yard singles and I LOVE watching great shooters work those games.

But 16 yard singles - come on, it just isn't that hard.

10. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

poetry in motion??

16 yard singles??

THAT is a stretch.

On a windless, clear day with a good background and targets set correctly 16 yard singles is a snooze fest.

11. Paladin

"it just isn't that hard."

With all due respect, then why haven't you broke 100? How would you know what perfection feels like?

Singles just happen to be the easiest of the three events, that's all.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Heck, I'm challenged every time I pull the trigger!

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Make a shoot-off once and it's a whole different thrill. Win some money and that feels nice too,{not that I have a lot}

I do respect your opinion, I guess that's why there is three Trap disciplines. With soaring cost we might have to cut down on grinding out hundreds of singles.

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Perfection?

How do you define it??

I've broken one target at a time many, many times in a row. I have broken well in excess of 100 straight in practice, just not registered, but who cares about the practice field, right. 99 was the best i could manage in registered.

I'm not trying to denigrate anybody's accomplishment - 100 straight is a wonderful feat - well done. I watched a fellow a year ago who hadn't shot competitive trap in several years walk out to the line and run 200 straight in the singles championship - then another 125 straight in the shootoff.

unbelievable.

that fellow sure knew how to break singles targets.

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I am bright enough to stop doing things that bore me - I shoot 16s because I enjoy the challenge of trying to get them all and trying to be a better shot.

16. Paladin

See,,his accomplishment left an impression with you, obviously. And believe me, he knew exactly what he was doing, and enjoyed every single minute of the competition. I think that "guy" had previously shot trap at a high level, and still shot occasionally to maintain that level of ability, no doubt about it.

The bottom line is, either you enjoy competition, or you don't. Singles just happen to be the easiest of the three.

17. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

For many years the rule was, in singles and handicap, that a straight away from post one and five was the rule and a min. of 48 yards. Most big clubs threw a 50 yard target. Somehow that go changes in the 80's As a result high scores have become the norm, even in handicap. The rule now allows for softer angles and 49 yard min taregts. Most clubs today would do well to throw a 45 yard targets and there is no enforcement of the rules.

Go back to the wider angles target, and enforce the rule of min. 49 yard targers. I gaurantee there will be less 100's. And many socalled All American would suffer as a result.

I ran a club for years. In recent years if a target was 1 yard outside of the minimum angle I would hear about. From whom? The socalled better shooters of our sport.

And not one to boast, but I have broken a lot of 100' and a few 200's, some were shot in the old target settings. - Jim

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting registered targets for 30 years....I don't get to all that many shoots, but enjoy myself immensely when I do...I don't play the purses...I have 1 hundred straight in singles so far and no perfect scores in hdcp or doubles but that's what keep me coming back...gotta keep tryin' 'till I get it right!!!

19. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I actually understand the reason for the post. Trap shooting is something I do when there just isn't any other thing to shoot. I have managed 2 25 straights and I have never shot ATA and don't plan on ever shooting ATA. To become good at trap you actually need to shutdown the brain, go into a comma and shoot targets. Granted you aren't shooting exactly the same target, but you are shooting 1 of five different targets over and over and over and over. The hard part is to keep concentrating on each shot. Now if this is what you are trying to accomplish then there is nothing boring about this sport. However I enjoy seeing different presentation, trying to figure out the angles and speeds as some presentation are very difficult. Knowing that if you miss a target you still have a chance to play with the big boys. That is probably why people call trap boring, if you miss one target you can just as well leave the range, save your shells as you won't even place in the event.
    Now I do enjoy Skeet, yes I said the bad word and whats even more interesting is that each target is absolutely known. You know exactly where, when and how fast that target is coming at you. Things happen a little faster on the skeet range and to be honest skeet can get boring also. I think it comes down to being a master at 5 different shots, skeet is about the same or being able to change on the fly to any target ( sporting clays).

20. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Comma - never been in a comma before?

38-01615

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.