1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Select ??????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mudbug, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

For the past 2 or 3 years, I have been using American Select for 7/8 and 1 oz loads, and have been pleased. I used, and still have some, 700X. I just wanted to try the AS.

My question is why don't we see any comments on the powder? Lots of comments on Red Dot and Promo, but virtually nothing on AS.

Just curious........ Thanks,

Milt

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Because of availibility in alot of areas. Dealers don't stock it and if they've never used it or know someone who has then they don't request it. Dealers working on smaller scale simply order and stock what sells.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use American Select for my doubles and singles shells.

Pat Ireland

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Basically a good useless powder.. It does nothing Red Dot/Green Dot can't do.. but it's harder to get.. and more expensive.. Nothing wrong with it.. just it fills a gap that had no holes..

5. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Mike, I have always paid the same price for AmSel, as RD or GD and I started using it when it first came out, 1992 I think. I use it for handicap but have loaded some hot 7/8 and 1 OZ. It works great in my P-gun and the Cole. It is a lot cleaner than either RD or GD in 1-1/8oz.loads. To me very low felt recoil. I'm glad Alliant doesn't think it's a useless powder. Jim

6. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

For someone loading both the 1 ounce loads and also the 1 and 1/8 ounce at 1200fps, and who only wants to stock one type of powder, American Select is one of the best choices out there. It is a better choice as far as burning rate goes for the 1200fps 1 & 1/8 loads compared to Red Dot, and it burns cleaner than Green Dot.

Since you specifically stated that you load 7/8 and 1 ounce loads and not any 1 and 1/8 ---- then Red Dot might be the better choice for you as there is no problem getting the 1200fps and more velocities at those shot charge weights.

As for the prices --- where I buy supplies the cost of Red Dot, Green Dot and American Select 8 pounders are all the same. They always seem to have it in stock.

7. DocJim

DocJim Member

Any one have a receipe for 1 oz load with Rio primers and Remington hulls?...AJ

8. Don S

Don S Member

I have been loading American Select for a year now. I find their 1 1/8 oz, 1145 FPS load nealy identical to 2 3/4 dram STS loads.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I love American Select for 24g bunker loads and my 1 1/8oz handicap loads. I've been using it for years. Unfortunately, I forgot to order ahead and ran out. It's hard to get this time of year. The distributor only stocks up in the Spring when people start shooting a lot. When he's out, he's out for the rest of the year, unless you special order from your supplier. The he orders from the distributor, and the whole process can take months.

Rather than wait, I bought Green Dot because it was in stock. I'll be done with it by spring when more Am Sel will be available. BTW, Green Dot is a great powder. It's just a little slower and dirtier than Am Sel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.