1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American select?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I was wondering your all opinions on one ounce loads with american select?

2. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I think that was what the powder was designed to be used for. Don't go slow with it as it will not get adequate pressure. Bruce

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

For loads at 1200fps or slower, I like a faster powder. I use Am Sel for my 1 1/8oz loads. I also use it with W209 instead of STS209 primers to keep the pressure up.

4. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

It was designed for 1 oz loads and does very well with them. I use 18.2 grains in a Rem hull, W209 and DR XL1 wad. I have started using Claydot for all new loads as it is cleaner burning and uses 1 grain less for a comparable result.

You won' go wrong, but Claydot is better.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

American Select is one of my fav powders for 1 1/8. It it was designed for 1 ounce loads so be it. I can't see a reason to use it for 1 ounce loads. If you have some and want to load 1 ounce then do so. Clays, 700x and Red dot use less powder to get the same result and work great. I have had great luck with American select but I can't see using it for 1 ounce loads. Jeff

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I only use two powders. Green Dot for my heavy handicap load and American Select for singles and doubles. My singles and second shot of doubles is the same 1 1/8 oz load. My first doubles shot is 1 oz. American Select works very well. Other powders do work as well as American Select but I doubt that any others work better.

Pat Ireland

7. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

Great 1 oz powder however I find it a bit dirty. I have switched back t Clay as I shoot an auto and want a clean burning powder.

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Never quite understood the niche American Select is supposed to fill, but looking at the amount of powder used per shell and the pressures generated, it appears that its only a little faster than Green Dot. Personally, I think e3 is Alliant's best powder for 7/8 oz, 1 oz, and 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz loads. For heavier target loads, switch to Green Dot.

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.